Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a vegetarian?
Yes you don't know what your missing! 12 35.29%
No, Wheres the Beef? 15 44.12%
Who doesn't eat meat? 1 2.94%
I'm a chicketarian...bring on the chicken! 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:17 PM

71 posts, read 292,375 times

Advertisements

I'm not a vegetarian but my better half is so I decided to post this for any other
vegetarians....

http://www.greensanantonio.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 06:03 PM

22 posts, read 109,230 times
Adelante restaurant uses no animal fats and is mostly vegetarian. Although some of their meals do contain chicken. Their spinach tamales and poblano soup are great!

Also, Twin Sisters is mostly vegetarian with some chicken, tuna dishes.(2004 Best Vegetarian Restaurant)

Both are wonderful, Adelante's atmosphere is very funky and the owner does most of the cooking. My kids love it!

Both restaurants are in Sunset Ridge Shopping Center.
On a personal note I am so old I have been going to Adelante since 1984!
Yikes!

Old 04-10-2007, 07:39 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,557,517 times
Default Hooray for Green!!!!

Thanx for posting this addidasdude!!!! I LOVE GREEN!!! Actually, I'm not a fully converted vegetarian (yet! ), but haven't eaten meat or chicken since shortly after Green opened. They're doing a great job of converting me! And truly, what's not to love about Green? It's fabulous food, yummy desserts, quite inexpensive, and free Wi-Fi!!! Even my meat eating 16 year old son loved their chicken fried wheat meat. And the sweet potato fries are addictive! (You've been warned!) We were just by there a bit ago (went to The Cove tonight for fish tacos, my one non-vegetarian indulgence lately), and can't wait for the day that we can live close by!

Anyway, Chef Mike is doing a great job, the whole staff is fantastic, atmosphere is totally cool, Green is fabulous!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 12:14 AM

73 posts, read 403,269 times
I just had lunch there, for the first time, today. I wish there were more places like that around here.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:40 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,244,515 times
With time.

I hope this is the start of new revitialization for the Five Points area.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:15 AM

554 posts, read 2,307,785 times
The food is SO good. I completely, 100% agree about the sweet potato fries!!! Their veggie burger is amazing as well. Definitely recommend!

Old 04-11-2007, 09:37 PM

170 posts, read 762,045 times
I had been waiting for an all-vegetarian restaurant forever...and then they opened one right after I moved from SA...but I can't wait to try it when I go back to visit! I've heard great things about it.

J. Alexander's in the Quarry has a delicious veggie burger. EZ's has fabulous veggie quesadillas as well as a yummy veggie burger. I love the veggie sandwich at Twin sisters...it has cream cheese, avacado, spouts with a mustard/mayo dressing on delicious bread!! Just thought I'd share some of my favorites with those who may want to try some great veggie items!! I'm making myself hungry.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:53 PM

283 posts, read 1,836,509 times
I hope that many, many locals will begin to eat vegetarian style.

There is an abundance of overweight people in San Antonio and I would love to see these people make a transition to a more healthy diet and lifestyle.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,600 times
Default Green not so Healthy

I've eaten Breakfast at Green twice, and while the food was tasty, I couldn't believe that hydrogenated spread was served instead of real butter or another non-trans fat alternative. THIS IS NOT HEALTHY! I also got an upset stomach after eating there and have heard other similar reports so I wonder if that is because they might cook with hydrogenated (trans-fat) oils?

While I am not an vegetarian, I have friends who are and I really would like to see this be a San Antonio restaurant to be proud of. But until this issue is resolved, I am embarrassed that our City would be so behind the times that we still think eating margarine is healthier than eating real butter.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,371,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdegrella View Post
I've eaten Breakfast at Green twice, and while the food was tasty, I couldn't believe that hydrogenated spread was served instead of real butter or another non-trans fat alternative. THIS IS NOT HEALTHY! I also got an upset stomach after eating there and have heard other similar reports so I wonder if that is because they might cook with hydrogenated (trans-fat) oils?

While I am not an vegetarian, I have friends who are and I really would like to see this be a San Antonio restaurant to be proud of. But until this issue is resolved, I am embarrassed that our City would be so behind the times that we still think eating margarine is healthier than eating real butter.
Do they have raw cane sugar? I just converted after learning the ills of Splenda....even though they claim it's "sugar". I've also switched to using extra virgin coconut oil in place of any other oil. I still use olive oil, but not for cooking. Even a tablespoon of both is great for you. I'm far from a vegan or other health food, but I'm learning the hard way! Only Figi water now.....my bod is loving it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio