Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 AM

67 posts, read 148,848 times

Advertisements

new to SA and is very interested in attending the coming first Friday... and suggestions where to hang out ???

BTW.. is parking a problem on first friday??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 07:01 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngch View Post
new to SA and is very interested in attending the coming first Friday... and suggestions where to hang out ???

Parking won't be a problem anymore, since there won't be any food, I am sure attendance will be way down. I used to go everytime, but I am not going anymore. I will spend my money on the Northside.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:48 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
You can park on any of the side streets off S. Alamo or S. St Mary's. I wouldn't bother trying to drive into King William to park, head to the south/east of it. We walk, but the cars park in my neighborhood and there's still plenty of space.

I prefer to stay around the Blue Star Complex area which is at the bottom of S. Alamo. Less trinket vendors, more art. Walking back up S. Alamo to Durango there is often some interesting art and live music, but you have to go through all the trinkets. I do it occasionally but am usually satisfied with my art fill at Blue Star. Acalpulco Drive In is home to a classic car gathering on FF, though, which is kind of cool if you're into old cars.

Blue Star Arts Complex - San Antonio, Texas for more info about Blue Star and its galleries. There are also a number of private galleries in the lofts behind Blue Star. Not all are open all the time, so you need to be respectful as people live there too.

I never bother to have dinner during FF as the restaurants are all too crowded for me to wait, and then if I do, I miss the art since the galleries close kind of early. However, there are tons of restaurants: Azuca, La Frite, Rosarios, MadHatters, China Latina, Olorosa, Titos, Blue Star, Cascabel, Presa St. Grill, La Tuna Grill, El Mirador, La Foccacia....also Acalpulco Drive In has "fast food." If you want to eat, I'd recommend going early to get a table and still have time to check out the art.

Despite what I said above about not bothering with the northern stretch of S. Alamo, I do highly recommend the glass blowing place behind Azuca. Here is a list of galleries there Southtown Galleries, San Antonio, TX (http://www.southtown.net/galleries/index.html - broken link)

Oh, and if after it all you want to wind down with a Bubble tea, I strongly recommend heading over to BubbleHead on S. Presa - art on display, often live music on FF, great drinks and great staff!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times
Great info, Chaka. Thanks!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:12 AM

A little more clarification on parking: I'd avoid driving on S. Alamo altogether. Drive down S. Presa and turn left into any of the side streets to park. It's a little further away, but you can get in and out easily. Alternatively, drive down S. St Mary's, turn Right on Pereida St, then head left down any of the side streets there (that's Baja King William).

There are a number of lots charging $10 for parking as well, if you prefer that. Most of it goes to good causes like Boy Scout troops.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngch View Post

What Chaka said.

The only venue I would add is Beethoven Hall - it's on Peredia, just east of S. Alamo. Awesome beer garden, and good German beers on tap. Should be beautiful this Friday.

We typically try and get down there early-ish - 6pm or so. We park either on Clay or Cevallos, west of Probandt. We head to LaTuna for a couple of beers, then usually to the Blue Star galleries. After that, to Beethoven, and, depending how long we're out, Bar America or Acupulco at the end.

Welcome to SA - have fun!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Just an added comment on Bubblehead.....it's really a different experience and well worth trying out. The tea is cold...no hot tea available. This sounds odd, but the tea has little gummy balls that float around in the tea....sort of like tapioca. Very tasty and fun. We know the owners and they couldn't be nicer. Ask for Urban.....probably the most polite and customer friendly person I have ever met.

I'd check out some of the businesses ahead of time for First Friday hours of operation. Taco Haven generally closes at 4pm even on a Saturday. Some may have extended hours for First Friday....or some might close up early! Just depends on the times you plan on going.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
What Chaka said.

The only venue I would add is Beethoven Hall - it's on Peredia, just east of S. Alamo. Awesome beer garden, and good German beers on tap. Should be beautiful this Friday.

We typically try and get down there early-ish - 6pm or so. We park either on Clay or Cevallos, west of Probandt. We head to LaTuna for a couple of beers, then usually to the Blue Star galleries. After that, to Beethoven, and, depending how long we're out, Bar America or Acupulco at the end.

Welcome to SA - have fun!

Ah yes, Beethoven used to be a regular stop for us, but these days it's crowded and they're charging an admission fee and there are some other issues so we haven't gone as much..... I confess I like how it used to be before it became SO popular

Old 06-02-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Just an added comment on Bubblehead.....it's really a different experience and well worth trying out. The tea is cold...no hot tea available. This sounds odd, but the tea has little gummy balls that float around in the tea....sort of like tapioca. Very tasty and fun. We know the owners and they couldn't be nicer. Ask for Urban.....probably the most polite and customer friendly person I have ever met.
They do serve hot tea and hot Vietnamese coffee, but they're known for their cold drinks. And I agree, all the owners are great!

Old 06-02-2009, 09:00 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
They do serve hot tea and hot Vietnamese coffee, but they're known for their cold drinks. And I agree, all the owners are great!
That's good to know. When they first opened they only focused on the bubbletea. I've never even thought to ask for hot tea. I'll have to try the Vietnamese coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio