Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:33 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times

Advertisements

Plumber26- She has a Branch Service. As you know one tap from the main which Y's off to two seperate meters. I suggested that she check the cut off's also. Have you ever seen a vibrating meter or faulty PRV cause this sort of problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 08:06 AM

54 posts, read 237,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Plumber26- She has a Branch Service. As you know one tap from the main which Y's off to two seperate meters. I suggested that she check the cut off's also. Have you ever seen a vibrating meter or faulty PRV cause this sort of problem?
Yes I have. But I've never know a meter so noisy that the neighbors could hear when the others' water was running. Sounds weird. Prv's give either a fluttering noise of a squealing noise. I would love to be where the are to look at it.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:30 AM

I would too. Thanks for the information.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 PM

60 posts, read 297,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber26 View Post
It seems to me like you should have your own meter separate from your neighbors'. If you aren't then there would be a risk of backflow from his system to your's and likewise the opposite. To eliminate that, if the builder did cut corners, they may have tried to install a check valve in the lines where they split from one house to the other. If that is the case, then if both systems were being used at the same time, it is possible that the one that is using more water may be pulling the other shut repeatedly causing the noise. Is it a vibration or a banging? Have you made sure that all of your shutoffs under your sink are fully opened? Sometimes if they aren't then the washer will get worn and flutter as water passes. I also haven't read the answer to the question about who has the water meter/bill/ect. How are we sure that it's not a case that HIS line is on YOUR meter. If that were the case, you could pay your plumber to find the line where it splits and cap it off where it starts to go to his house then he wouldn't have any water. Depends on who's property the meter is on. Just please clarify how your water service works where you live.
We both have separate water meter. I supposedly have a branching system. When the plumber I hired opened his front faucet, the noises (both vibration & banging) started happening in both our houses. My neighbor's house, was of course louder esp coming from his garage. My plumber said that he doesn't know what's causing it and that he couldn't touch it because it's on my neighbor's end. He speculated that it maybe the neighbors toilet or sprinkler system, but he's not sure exactly.

As far as the backflow system, I had gotten it checked (as required by the city) and it passed because I also have a sprinkler system.

I think all my shut offs are fully open. I haven't noticed any fluttering as the water passes in the washing machine.

I'm going to call my water service company so maybe they can check if it's the PRV or something...

I guess I'm gonna have to do the leg work to expedite this process hahahaha

I will keep all of you updated and I really really appreciate all your suggestions...if you can think of anymore...please please don't hesitate share

Old 06-16-2009, 09:45 PM

10 posts, read 32,351 times
He needs a pressure regulator on his end of his pipes. They probably did not install one when they put in his system and this is causing all the pressure to be used on his end, especially if you live on top of a hill.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Sorry Pressure Release Valve...^^^^^^^

Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 PM

This happend at one of our customers houses before. There is a simple fix for it...

Old 06-17-2009, 03:02 PM

60 posts, read 297,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
pagibig -I sent you a DM. As far as water pressure is concerned most homes' plumbing is rated for 150 psi. If your incoming water pressure is over 80 psi a Pressure Reducing Valve is highly suggested. Your water company should provide a courtesy water pressure check. SAWS does. Although I previously metioned his water meter it very well could be a faulty Pressure Reducing Valve. I have seen a few of them make a horrible noise when there is a failure. Again you can confirm this by turning on his front faucet. I would still call out the water company afterall if the meter is "sick" (operating improperly) they would have to replace it since they own it.
Wellguy -- okay ... I got my water company to check the water pressure that is coming from my house and they left a note in my door stating that I have a 75 psi. Now, I don't know if I could do the same (courtesy pressure check) for his house considering it is "his" house. I haven't heard any noises for the past few days, but I'm not sure if it's because they have gotten the problem fixed or they just "turned off" their water...hmm...In a sense that is good news, but if they just "turned off" their water, I'm sure the problem will resume. Question is when?

Old 06-17-2009, 05:09 PM

54 posts, read 237,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rldorazio View Post
Sorry Pressure Release Valve...^^^^^^^
Do you mean a pressure reducing valve?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:26 PM

pagibig -That's good news. You water pressure is fine. If it was over 80psi I would suggest a Pressure Reducing Valve as Plumber26 and Rlorazio stated. You more than likely have one. Check beyond you meter inside of what is usually a round 6" diameter tube /sleeve with a cap -more than likely green in color. It will have somewhat of a pear shape with a bolt /nut at the top. While outside you could check to see if his water is off by turning on a front faucet. Try to see if he has a Pressure Reducing Valve. As you know they can fail which would result in very low or very high water pressure. The failure can result in a vibation or humming noise. *If his water is on I would contact your water company and ask that they check his pressure. You could tell them that you are watching his home and you're concerned. This is common. I would certainally hope that you would have been notified by his agent if a plumbing repair was made.
Again I thank you for the Rep.

Plumber26 -What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio