Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:33 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I think a "Let's Get LindaGrace Completely Liquored Up Luncheon" is in order. I'll drive.
Right? Will the dentist work on you if you're hammered on margaritas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 03:34 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
You have to get past that...just imagine what lies ahead if you don't get this taken care of..root canal..no thanks!! Don't let it beat you.
I know. Intellectually I know I'm being an idiot. Emotionally, I'm terrified.

Believe me when I tell you that just talking about it and posting this is an enormous step for me.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:35 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Shhhh, we won't tell him/her.

Maintain, dammit!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:58 PM

188 posts, read 551,016 times
I'm a horrible dentist-phobe, too. I literally kicked a dentist during a procedure once because I got so scared. I also regularly cry in the chair. I absolutely abhor going. Just wanted you to know that you're not alone. However, I recently did go to the dentist and had a good experience with this doctor:

Michael Wooldridge, D.D.S
Olmos Park Dentistry
101 W Olmos Dr
San Antonio, TX 78212-1955
(210) 824-7457‎

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2009, 04:06 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
LindaGrace

You didn't get my point...I've been worked on by some of the worst dentists in the world, and have had things done that would probably make you faint (I won't mention them to keep you from passing out at the computer). Doc Haberman is a friendly, easy-going and very relaxing dentist.

My wife shares your phobia, but not quite to the same extent. Even she admits that Haberman makes the process of visiting the dentist a lot easier.

But if your fears are that extreme, have you ever considered some kind of therapy to help you overcome them? Heck, if I were that bad, I would even be willing to try hypnosis or something!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-01-2009, 04:12 PM

796 posts, read 3,049,403 times
I have several teeth that have broken off. I think the fillings from when I was a kid got old. I have one tooth that on the outer side there is a tooth and the inside has broken off, so it just gums. I have to chew on one side because it will be painful on the other. My last trip to the dentist was when I had my last checkup before leaving the Air Force. That was 13 years ago. I always had good exams during my military career. The dentist would even comment on how well my teeth looked. I never had a bad experience or was never scared as a kid to see the dentist. Now not only am I scared, but I am also embarassed to go. I have a neighbor up the street that I am friends with and he's a dentist. He offered to take care of me, and his fiance said she would go and hold my hand. LOL I trust him, but my embarassment is keeping me from going.

Sapphire, can I go to the liquored up luncheon too?

Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,247 times
LindaGrace,

Do this, please.....

Call and tell your fear. Ask to just go in and get comfortable.

I am sure she will let you.

Go in and lay in the chair. Next appt 15 - 20 minutes, go in and let them look at the teeth...

one step at a time. Please, you will be glad you did.

I totally understand you are scared, my best friend has the fear too and I tell her I will go with her but she is so ashamed of her behavior.

Really its a fear, and you should not worry what people say and think.

Send me a PM I will go with you and hold your hand!

If you can make the call, that is the first step. Do the first step and we will get you through the second one.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I know. Intellectually I know I'm being an idiot. Emotionally, I'm terrified.

Believe me when I tell you that just talking about it and posting this is an enormous step for me.

I am sorry, that must be so hard. But in all honesty, I believe one step at a time will make all the difference in the world. The best thing you can do to help yourself is to let the dentist know.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:22 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermomof4girls View Post
Sapphire, can I go to the liquored up luncheon too?
Absolutely.

I feel so bad for you guys. I hate the dentist, but it's because of the DMO plan I'm on, and the only reasonable option for me to use is Castle Dental.

Other than mild claustrophobia, which is awful, I've never had any phobias, but I've known plenty of people with them. I don't know what to say or what to do for someone......because I'd say something silly like "I know how you feel" when um, no I don't.

I do recall Charlie Parker's commercial, though.....he hadn't been in years, and knew he had some serious issues, but they didn't make him feel bad at all--which they shouldn't! And if they do, you get up and leave. They're supposed to be the professionals. My friend always gets a pill (Valium) the day before and she takes it on the morning she's going, has her hubby drive her, and she's loopy for whatever he's doing, from an exam and x-ray up to fillings and beyond. She laughs about it, but I've seen her terrified and in tears, and there is just nothing I can do to help.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:31 PM

I guess we all have a fear, as you know mine is flying. I go to the dentist and within minutes I am asleep. I just open my mouth and close my eyes!

I guess that is why the students at the dental school just loved me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio