Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:04 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times

Advertisements

if you're getting passed on the right, get out of the left lane!! and how many left lane exits are there here? The only things I can think of where you have to be in the left lane are left turns and entrance ramps. BTW, you're supposed to be going with the flow of traffic on the ramp, not going 20 under..

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
Hey, nothing wrong driving in that lane if you're smart enough to go ahead and move over if someone is trying to get by.
Actually, there is. It's against the law and you'll see that soon enough when MMM posts it, like he has every other time someone as confused as yourself brings up this topic.. BTW, nice to admit you are a part of the problem. Try becoming part of the solution instead and take the bus..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 04:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I was in a fender bender on Hwy 90 and we moved our vehicles then called the police to get a report. The officer wouldn't make a report because we had moved the vehicles.
The officer was completely wrong:

§550.022 - ACCIDENT INVOLVING DAMAGE TO VEHICLE
(b) If an accident occurs on a main lane, ramp, shoulder, median, or adjacent area of a freeway in a metropolitan area and each vehicle involved can be normally and safely driven, each operator shall move the operator's vehicle as soon as possible to a designated accident investigation site, if available, a location on the frontage road, the nearest suitable cross street, or other suitable location to complete the requirements of Section 550.023 and minimize interference with freeway traffic.

If I were you, I'd complain to whichever agency responded.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:26 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
A little bit of common sense would help,
if you are driving on the left lane and you see a line of cars piled up behind you....
maybe... it would help to free the left lane.

Driving back to Del Rio I saw something that I had never seen since I lived in Venezuela (no laws in the streets, just common sense)
While driving on a 2 lane highway (1 going, 1 coming) I approached a truck.
before I even got close to the truck... the truck moved into the should to free the lane for me to pass.
I'm sure that's illegal... but it is common sense at its best
I don't ride on his b.... , he doesn't slow me down for miles and I don't have to use the other lane to pass him, avoiding a wreck.

That actually happened 3 different times.
I love this!

Well, I hate the drive - I have to go to Del Rio and Eagle Pass often, but this is one thing that makes the driver much easier. I've never been anywhere else where they do this regularly.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:32 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
I am sure plenty of people drive in the left lane, they just don't feel like arguing about it.
I admit to driving in the left lane in one area - between ~ Fair Rd and I-35 interchange on I-37, usually both directions (going North in the AM, South in the PM). If you drive in any other lane going north, it's a PITA to get into the exit lane for the I-35 ramp. No one lets you in. Going south I do it mainly to avoid being in stop-and-go traffic for those cars trying to go from I-37 South onto I-10/Hwy 90. 2 lanes trying to go on the off-ramp, the other lanes trying to go into those lanes...so the only one that moves with regularity is the left lane. Once past that little stretch, I get over.

I also sometimes drive in the left lane on I-10 approaching the I-35 interchange going south - there are 2 left lanes leading to that exchange, and I'm usually in whichever one is moving - the 2nd lane (not the left lane) tends to be a bit hairy when someone decides they really don't want to go that way and suddenly screech trying to move over one lane right to take the upper level. I've had a few near misses there, so the left lane tends to be a little bit safer. But I don't do that consistently, just depends on what traffic is like at that point.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:34 PM

They do it around San Angelo and also in Sicily. In Sicily it makes sense because driving is almost as insane as Italy, but it caught me off guard on my first trip to San Angelo. It's a nice thing to do, though. Makes for a much easier and relaxing driving experience. Instead we have left lane queens that are traffic cop wannabes and thinking they own the road. (no, that wasn't saying it's only women, that was fully intended to be an insult)

Old 07-28-2009, 04:39 PM

39 posts, read 107,329 times
the problems are the people driving in the left who are doing like 55-60 and txting or on the phone. No clue that people behind them are trying to pass and cause bigger traffic issues then if they just kept to the right or off the phone. I am becoming more and more of a fan of banning phones or only using hands free devices when driving. Its already bad enough that people in this city dont know how to drive. Dont let the gadgets make it that much worse for us. And then theres the elderly. Whats the cut off for the age limit. between 60-70 there needs to be a stopping point seriously.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
The reminder is timely. I had to pass left-lane slowpokes 3 times on the way to Austin yesterday.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:40 PM

and yes slower drivers pulling over to the shoulder to let you pass on a two lane street is common. Driving from Killeen to San Antonio I have seen lots of drivers do this. Its just common sense and awareness when driving.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The reminder is timely. I had to pass left-lane slowpokes 3 times on the way to Austin yesterday.
my wife left Austin at 4:00 PM last Friday and got home after 7:00 PM. She called once complaining about the drivers and the words "these" and "drivers" are about the only two words I can post here

Old 07-28-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
my wife left Austin at 4:00 PM last Friday and got home after 7:00 PM. She called once complaining about the drivers and the words "these" and "drivers" are about the only two words I can post here

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio