Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:03 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,023,449 times

Advertisements

Sounds to me like the ones who insist on getting in the left lane and exceeding the speed limit in the name of "Keeping Texas Moving" are the ones who don't get it. Aren't you supposed to pass the slower traffic and then move back over to the right? It's not a blank check to go as fast as you want and get mad at the ones doing 80 in the left lane when you yourself want to do 90. Both of you are speeding and that's not what the lane is meant for.

I don't really care about this issue much because I'm a perfect driver. Glad to know I'm in good company on here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 12:35 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,602 times
As usual MMM is pasting up the law that states that in Texas, as in the rest of the United States, that we drive on the right side of the road as opposed to the left side of the road. The passing paste up is when you are having to get out of your lane to pass another vehicle. Again just call TDPS and ask them. I'm growing weary of this futile discussion. I have the greatest respect for MMM and many others on this board but on this one we will have to agree to disagree. Have a great Sunday everyone. Now I'm going to have some lunch and get on with some more important things. That is, if my wife remembered to put them in the fridge.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 PM

410 posts, read 1,249,565 times
I guess I proved my point, it's selective hearing. Only hear/read what they want to.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:53 PM

410 posts, read 1,249,565 times
I suppose this cop didn't get that email forward either: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ic-ticket.html

Old 08-02-2009, 02:39 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Sounds to me like the ones who insist on getting in the left lane and exceeding the speed limit in the name of "Keeping Texas Moving" are the ones who don't get it. Aren't you supposed to pass the slower traffic and then move back over to the right? It's not a blank check to go as fast as you want and get mad at the ones doing 80 in the left lane when you yourself want to do 90. Both of you are speeding and that's not what the lane is meant for.

I don't really care about this issue much because I'm a perfect driver. Glad to know I'm in good company on here!
you and me both Saph! especially those local idiots here that tailgate me on military dr in westcreek where the speed limit drops from 35( I do 30) to 20 I can see the look of frustration on their face when I decide to obey and observe traffic signs. Pobre ******es.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:42 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
As usual MMM is pasting up the law that states that in Texas, as in the rest of the United States, that we drive on the right side of the road as opposed to the left side of the road. The passing paste up is when you are having to get out of your lane to pass another vehicle. Again just call TDPS and ask them. I'm growing weary of this futile discussion. I have the greatest respect for MMM and many others on this board but on this one we will have to agree to disagree. Have a great Sunday everyone. Now I'm going to have some lunch and get on with some more important things. That is, if my wife remembered to put them in the fridge.
I think driving in SA threads get more fired up, than political threads LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrlatsha View Post
I suppose this cop didn't get that email forward either: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ic-ticket.html
Ohh I loved that thread, that poor lady assumed she was a criminal by getting caught LOL

Old 08-13-2009, 03:33 AM

624 posts, read 905,955 times
I take Mc Allister Frwy. from Bitters just past downtown 5 days a week and admit to driving in the left hand lane all the time. I usually go between 65 and 72 mph depending on the traffic. I can't stand tailgaters, I look in the rearview mirror all the time and if someone is in the left lane coming up behind me and is going faster I move over or speed up until I can. If they want to drive 80 or more I couldn't care less. I would much rather see the guy weaving in and out of traffic going fast as long as he is not cutting people off, brake lights appearing because of him, then the guy going 50 or less in the left or middle lanes. I have seen 10 cars or more stacking up all trying to get around these people. This impedes the flow of traffic for everybody, I can't understand why these people don't stay in the right hand lane. I frankly also don't understand how they can take the pressure, all the middle fingers hurled at them, FU's yelled at them and the stares and no I don't do any of those you never know who has a gun!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:56 AM

After my last post on this subject I got to thinking that maybe some of you were right. That the person I conversed with via email did not have the experience or authority to provide correct answers. I went to the TDPS website and started looking for contact links. The only link I found was a Public Information link. I sent an inquiry to that link on the subject of whether the left lane was for passing only on all freeways or just where posted and received a rather foggy reply and a copy and paste of the same legal verbiage that has been previously posted here. I replied with an example to try and clarify my question. The lady that I had been corresponding with suggested that I give her a telephone number so that I could speak one on one with a TDPS officer to clear up any confusion on either side. I replied with a contact number and awaited a response. The next day I got a call from a Major Ron Joy of the TDPS.
[SIZE=2]According to Major Ron Joy of the TDPS, the only time you would be in violation of driving in the left lane illegally would be if you are moving slower than other traffic or the area is marked LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY. If you are doing the speed limit then you would not be impeding traffic and therefor would not be in violation. If there is no other traffic on the roadway you may use any lane you wish as long as you are going the minimum to maximum speed limit and there is no signage regulating the left lane as passing only. He went on to say that there are certain sections of freeway where they like to ex cert more control over the left lane. In those areas they post signs regulating traffic in the left lane as for passing only. So, it seems that if you only want to use the left lane for passing you are free to regulate yourself to do so but it is not the law as many people seem to think.[/SIZE]

Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 AM

245 posts, read 696,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
I think driving in SA threads get more fired up, than political threads LOL

Ohh I loved that thread, that poor lady assumed she was a criminal by getting caught LOL
"Poor lady"? Rasero is a man.

Haven't read this entire thread, but my experience is "Don't drive in the left lane, if you pass someone, move immediately back over to the next lane and don't linger there for too long". I despise left-hand lane drivers and the first time I was in the lane too long on I-10 (even though I had passed someone previously) I got pulled over. Luckily the ticket was dismissed, but now when I pass people, I move back over as soon as I see the person's lights in my rearview mirror.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasero View Post
"Poor lady"? Rasero is a man.

Haven't read this entire thread, but my experience is "Don't drive in the left lane, if you pass someone, move immediately back over to the next lane and don't linger there for too long". I despise left-hand lane drivers and the first time I was in the lane too long on I-10 (even though I had passed someone previously) I got pulled over. Luckily the ticket was dismissed, but now when I pass people, I move back over as soon as I see the person's lights in my rearview mirror.
I-10 has one of those areas that place extra control over the left lane with signage. If you were in one of those areas, that is why you got pulled over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio