Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:08 PM

37 posts, read 127,056 times

Advertisements

Anyone using it? I tried and was really disappointed. I used a landscaping company that had wonderful reviews. I had a hard time with this company, and tried to communicate this in my review. Here's the crazy thing...if a company tells Angie's List that they've resolved the complaint, then your original evaluation gets deleted from their database. So, I tried to write a second review, and it got posted for only a few days, then removed as well...their reason is...Get this! If a company reports that they've resolved the dispute, then your subsequent review cannot be a lower grade than a B. I'd love to hear others' experiences, if similar, because I feel a bit swindled!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 10:43 PM

791 posts, read 3,961,543 times
I use Angie's List, too. I was under the impression that when a user writes a negative review and the issue is resolved, the review stays posted but a note is added with a response from the company and a statement that the issue was resolved. Does anyone else who uses Angie's List know what the actual practice is? I was also not aware that second reviews couldn't be lower than a B, but that makes sense as a means to protect companies from belligerent complainers who could unfairly trash a company repeatedly.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,461,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danandand View Post
Anyone using it? I tried and was really disappointed. I used a landscaping company that had wonderful reviews. I had a hard time with this company, and tried to communicate this in my review. Here's the crazy thing...if a company tells Angie's List that they've resolved the complaint, then your original evaluation gets deleted from their database. So, I tried to write a second review, and it got posted for only a few days, then removed as well...their reason is...Get this! If a company reports that they've resolved the dispute, then your subsequent review cannot be a lower grade than a B. I'd love to hear others' experiences, if similar, because I feel a bit swindled!
I've used Angies List for years,and found them to be very good. I write reviews for those that I have used, and have found the reviews to be honest. I have gotten a "has the problem been resolved" email after the initial input from me and the response from the company, and I said no and the grad stayed. I have one company I have given a D to and another an F and they are both still there. Contact them again if you are having a problem...let them know that the company did not resolve the issue to your satisfaction, and you feel to maintain the integrety of their progam you need to be honest on their rating.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:30 AM

278 posts, read 693,749 times
My one experience with it was horrible. A neighbor suggested someone who she found on there. He was unlicensed and unprofessional. To top it off, his quote was 3 times what I ended up paying a real, licensed company to do properly. I would only go by word of mouth, where I can see the work they've done.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:04 PM

45 posts, read 142,601 times
I like Angies list. Granted I've only been a member for a little over a month. The few companies we have used from there have been good so far.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:39 PM

Paka, I did contact them, and was told their policy as I stated in the original post. I explained that the company did not resolve my complaint sufficiently, and that I want other members to see all the trouble I had with them (that they essentially ignored me until I posted a complaint on Angie's List). This landscaper told me that the only 'advertising' he does is Angie's List, and so it is very important to him to have good ratings. I feel that, even if a company does resolve a problem (if only after intervention by Angie's List), then they still do not deserve a grade of A/B. My opinion, I realize, but isn't that the point of Angie's List...to get customers' honest thoughts on how their experiences were? I think it's great to have a company to back you up if you're having problems, but don't feel the company should have the ability to manipulate their ratings.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM

163 posts, read 311,644 times
I signed up for Angie's about 2 months ago and have been generally underwhelmed. Sounds like one more reason not to renew. Personally, I almost prefer Yelp reviews when they are available... at least you can try to gauge the credibility of the reviewer based on other reviews of theirs, and the site doesn't seem to favor any of the reviewees, at least not obviously.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 7,567 times
Cheryl from Angie’s List chiming in here. We’re very sorry that danandand is unhappy with our process, but wanted to clarify our policies for everyone. Danandand had an issue with a service professional and asked our complaint resolution team to help resolve it. Our complaint resolution process is very clear and while some disagree with it, we think it’s fair.

You can read about it on our Web site Frequently Asked Questions but in a nutshell, we contact the service professionals, outline the problem and seek resolution. If resolution is attained (as we had been assured by danandand) it had), we remove the negative report and ask the member to resubmit a new report that details the issue and the resolution efforts and says that the matter has been resolved. We require the member to assign a grade of at least a B to these resolved cases (we grade on an A-F scale.) We do this because we think it’s only fair to reflect the company’s efforts, but because not all resolutions are perfect, we give the members the opportunity to outline his or her opinion of how things went. Companies that don’t participate in the process are sent to our penalty box and removed from search results.

Whether a company advertises with us is irrelevant to this process. Our records clearly reflect that this member is unhappy with the company and that the company is no less pleased with the member. We would be happy to accept and share a new report from danandand that comports with our guidelines, just as we would accept and share a response from the company that comports with our guidelines. Danandand has asked for, and received, reimbursement for membership with us, but our offer remains for the report to be resubmitted.

On another note, in response to another comment, Angie’s List members may also sort reports a number of different ways, including seeing all reports submitted by a particular member. Every individual report submitted on Angie’s List has a “See all reports submitted by this member” button to give readers a real flavor for the reporting habits of the member who submitted the report.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 08-04-2009, 09:06 PM

Yes, I asked for a refund of my membership, because Angie's List states that if you are unsatisfied, they will refund your membership. Since my membership has not officially run out yet, I checked today, and they have again deleted my review of the landscape company. That is 3 posts that I have tried to submit, to notify others of my difficulty with this company, and Angie's List has gone to the trouble of removing each post, allowing the company to look great to potential customers, and deceiving them as well. I really can't understand how Angie's List promotes itself as a consumer service, when it is clearly promoting companies who advertise on their website and in their magazine. Very dishonest in my opinion!!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:20 AM

487 posts, read 1,118,404 times
I have been a member for about 3 years and have used it many times and have always been pleased with the results. Guess I've been lucky.
I certainly understand your situation dan... but as I said, I've had nothing to complain about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio