Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:37 PM

5 posts, read 7,974 times

Advertisements

There have been a number of threads posted on those relocating to the area and I have spent some time on the information and links provided. Thanks all. I am posting this to see if anyone has any specific places we should check for a place to live. I am going to give as many specifics of what we are looking for and other details to help.

*Wife and I are relocating from NC. We have never set foot in SA. I am taking a government position and being placed there.

*My job will have been working in the 'field' most of the time and in different places. So access to highways is not a priority or a deal breaker but would be nice. Would sacrifice this if the other items below are found.

*We are in our early 30's, just married and no kids

*We are looking for a place to rent. Preferably an apartment or condo that has good amenities.

* Ideally we have enjoyed "urban living" and living downtown in an area where we can walk to coffee shops, some shopping, dining and love the energy of people walking around just outside our door

*Cost we are looking in: $900 - $1,300 range. We could do a little more, but lets be honest... government job's starting out don't pay a ton. We would prefer 2 br, but would do a 1 if the right "location" comes up.

*Safe area of course

*If there is somewhere else that you may recommend that offers most of all of what we may be looking for in SA, please let us know.

Any other questions, please post. Thank you all for your valuable time and information.

- Barlow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow123 View Post
There have been a number of threads posted on those relocating to the area and I have spent some time on the information and links provided. Thanks all. I am posting this to see if anyone has any specific places we should check for a place to live. I am going to give as many specifics of what we are looking for and other details to help.

*Wife and I are relocating from NC. We have never set foot in SA. I am taking a government position and being placed there.

*My job will have been working in the 'field' most of the time and in different places. So access to highways is not a priority or a deal breaker but would be nice. Would sacrifice this if the other items below are found.

*We are in our early 30's, just married and no kids

*We are looking for a place to rent. Preferably an apartment or condo that has good amenities.

* Ideally we have enjoyed "urban living" and living downtown in an area where we can walk to coffee shops, some shopping, dining and love the energy of people walking around just outside our door

*Cost we are looking in: $900 - $1,300 range. We could do a little more, but lets be honest... government job's starting out don't pay a ton. We would prefer 2 br, but would do a 1 if the right "location" comes up.

*Safe area of course

*If there is somewhere else that you may recommend that offers most of all of what we may be looking for in SA, please let us know.

Any other questions, please post. Thank you all for your valuable time and information.

- Barlow
You're pretty brave just moving here without first checking it out.Hope it works out for you.
That being said...King William area is probably the area that you want to look at (don't know if you'll find a lot in that price range though). The other urban-type areas are kind of crappy.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 7,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
You're pretty brave just moving here without first checking it out.Hope it works out for you.
That being said...King William area is probably the area that you want to look at (don't know if you'll find a lot in that price range though). The other urban-type areas are kind of crappy.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will check it out. Yeah, I have noticed the traffic comments out of Stone Oak. We had no choice in city location and now have no time to make a trial run and check out SA. Really using the net and all of the resources here to find our place to live.

Thanks again!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,246,257 times
I second the King William area for you. You may also want to check out Monte Vista.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:21 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,652 times
I'd suggest renting at the Vistana for however long you need if not longer. It's a great location and will soon have a grocery store on the first floor.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:10 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
I went to a really neat luncheon today and heard some interesting stats on the residents at Vistana.

The majority are males, single and make 80+, more like over 100.

The rates are reasonable, starting at just under 700 per month for an apt., granted a TINY apt.

I did not hear any plans for a grocery store whatsoever downtown.

There is an I-Hop Cafe on the ground level though.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:06 PM

13 posts, read 11,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I went to a really neat luncheon today and heard some interesting stats on the residents at Vistana.

The majority are males, single and make 80+, more like over 100.

The rates are reasonable, starting at just under 700 per month for an apt., granted a TINY apt.

I did not hear any plans for a grocery store whatsoever downtown.

There is an I-Hop Cafe on the ground level though.
As a male, I'm looking for single ladies that are making 80+, more like over 100. Guess I shouldn't rent there.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times
I was in Southtown this weekend and saw a house, a fourplex, and a duplex for rent - All in the area around the Casbeers restaurant. I am not sure how much the rent is but they looked very nice! There appeared to be several families too, not sure if that is important to you since I noticed you mentioned not having any children.

Here's some info on the area:
Southtown,San Antonio,TX - Schools, Restaurants, Homes for Sale & More - REALTOR.com
Southtown Rentals, San Antonio, TX (http://www.southtown.net/lodging/rentals.html - broken link)
The South of Southtown Community in San Antonio

Good luck in your search and let us know what you find!

Old 11-02-2009, 05:25 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG PORK TOM View Post
As a male, I'm looking for single ladies that are making 80+, more like over 100. Guess I shouldn't rent there.

LOL.

And even more interesting...the majority of the Vistana residents who work do NOT work "downtown" but are willing to commute to experience downtown living.

I messaged the OP, they planned on moving mid. Oct. - wonder where they settled.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:54 PM

41 posts, read 97,149 times
Newbie opinion here:

Good luck with the move. I did the same thing - I found a place to live during a business trip layover. I wanted safe and easy (everything in SA is cheap compared to other cities!). My best advice is to go through an apartment locator and ask questions.

I chose The Villas at Vista Del Norte (13000 Blanco Ave) - It is an apartment area in your price range. The amenties are great - fitness, basketball, infinity pool. The area is a little bland - kinda of white bread but very nice.

This is my first go round in the 'suburbs' (my boss swears my area is 'urban' but its not really.) San Antonio has 2 loops, so if you go thru an apartment locator ask 'which loop'. The inner loop is 410. Alamo Heights seems like a happening neighborhood if you want something a little more edgy.

good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio