Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
The fact that the translation given made Panama look good doesn't negate the fact that the translation was misleading. When someone translates, it should be exact, not used to mislead or misinform. I can see how you would think it should "slide" since the translation given painted a better picture, though. Maybe that's why no one complained.
you know we don't know what the intentions were nor do most of us believe all we see on TV. Nearly everything is slanted. Was the report diliberately intending to mislead or was it just not complete, or was it either of the above?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 03:09 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,048,521 times
Do we even know for sure they were translating, or just starting the report?

Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Do we even know for sure they were translating, or just starting the report?
That's what I'm thinking,
that maybe it was a mistake made by somebody else that is not from the San Antonio Fox channel (I'm not saying that it was done in purpose)

svg210,
Did you see the show? or did you hear the inaccurate translation?

Here's why I bring this up,
We all really on our media to show us accurate information and nobody, from either side should allow them to do things like this (I know,there's not much that we can do)

Old 09-14-2009, 04:49 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,336,439 times
Not to steal the spot light but I felt the same way about another story that was on video in one of the local news web sites. The title read something like "Edgewood in trouble over airconditioners" but if you watched the short clip, it was actually about Jefferson HS and how the air conditioners in the portables were not working or something. JHS is actually a SAISD school. Edgewood gets enough bad pub to add stuff that doesn't belong. It only struck a nerve because my wife is a teacher/coach in EISD and is trying to make a difference every day.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:07 PM

Just sent them an email telling them to explain what happened in that video.
If I don't post anymore after this, go and get me from the Fox29 basement. (Forgot that there's no basements in SA)

Old 09-14-2009, 11:46 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,374,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Here's why I bring this up,
We all really on our media to show us accurate information and nobody, from either side should allow them to do things like this (I know,there's not much that we can do)

well...ok...that's the real problem. You may rely on the media for accurate information but I don't. There is a journalistic ethics that should be upheld, but I'm certainly not going to trust my life to it.

You did do something. You wrote them. They need to know when their "customer service" is lacking. Let us know if you hear back from them.

And yes....SA has plenty of basements....especially downtown.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
well...ok...that's the real problem. You may rely on the media for accurate information but I don't. There is a journalistic ethics that should be upheld, but I'm certainly not going to trust my life to it.
I was thinking about this yesterday when I was watching a "Consumer report" show they had on the news.
BTW, I'm one of the people that doesn't believe almost anything that is said on TV.

99% of people think that what's said on the news is 100% true.
Should we trust them when they tell us weather forecasts? (tornadoes, hurricanes)
or when they have a consumer protection show and say that a restaurant is bad? (How do I know that they didn't get paid by the competition?)

If we can't trust them, that means that what they say depends on who offered them the most money. ("RedMcCombs cars will drive up to 500,000 miles!!!")

Old 09-15-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
where did you get that statistic?

Do we really believe everything people post about on an internet forum?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,248,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I was thinking about this yesterday when I was watching a "Consumer report" show they had on the news.
BTW, I'm one of the people that doesn't believe almost anything that is said on TV.

Should we trust them when they tell us weather forecasts? (tornadoes, hurricanes)
or when they have a consumer protection show and say that a restaurant is bad? (How do I know that they didn't get paid by the competition?)

If we can't trust them, that means that what they say depends on who offered them the most money. ("RedMcCombs cars will drive up to 500,000 miles!!!")
You need to know enough about the subject to be able to identify what is true, opinion, or misleading. The news is ratings driven business. It is a fact that they are out to get the most thrilling stories to report. Unfortunately, this results in sensationalizing of some of the stories. Don't believe me? Watch competing broadcasts and identify the differences in the information presented.

I rarely trust one source for my information.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
You need to know enough about the subject to be able to identify what is true, opinion, or misleading. The news is ratings driven business. It is a fact that they are out to get the most thrilling stories to report. Unfortunately, this results in sensationalizing of some of the stories. Don't believe me? Watch competing broadcasts and identify the differences in the information presented.

I rarely trust one source for my information.
Anthony...you are so right about that. The ratings have a lot to do with how much spin is put on a topic. Just this morning I saw a crawler on MSNBC that said "Jimmy Carter dead at 65."~~~ Nothing else....just a (.) and the next crawler began. I was walking through the den and stopped in my tracks. Seriously! It got my attention. But it didn't make sense....former pres Jimmy Carter is much older than 65..so I thought it must be a typo. Then I realized the anchors were not even mentioning it. What it did make me do was change the channel to see what the other news stations said. Nada.

When I got to my computer I looked it up. Colin Powell's press secretary was named Jimmy Carter and that is who they were talking about. They didn't lie. And I'm sure press secretary Carter was a nice man, so no disrespect, but I found that very unsettling. Important details were left off that "teaser" (which is what crawlers are)....but it back fired this time. I turned the TV off. UGH!

National news or local news....they all are losing the trust that use to drive journalistic integrity. It's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio