Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:03 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Only the "cool" people will post in this thread because the title masks it as "fun" and "educational," thus, keeping the riff raff away.

Another vote for Mapsco. They need all the business they can get. When I was hunting for some rural land in the hill country to buy last year, I bought topographic maps from them. They contained all the old Indian mounds, cemeteries, mine shafts, etc. Good for finding old and weeded airstrips to land on (I mean uh, I had to check my oil...).

On another note, Barnes & Noble has a large map collection.
Nick...have you been to the General Land Office in Austin? Just mentioning the topo with the old Indian mounds, cemeteries etc.....You would LOVE going there. They have really super old maps of original surveys and historical trails for every county in Texas. Some are absolutely HUGE and had to have a special vault created just for them. ALL open for public view....of course, they are supervised. It helps if you have an specific area you want to research, say like the area that you're looking to buy up in Gillespie County. Just ask for ALL the maps available for Gillespie County. They'll be in chronological order so you can see how things progressed. The best part is that you can ask for a copy for almost any map they have. Some are topos, some are property surveys, some are road maps or early county maps. The neat ones are of old maps that have new lakes in them....Like Canyon Lake. You can see what was there before the lake was built. They are like little windows back in time.

Kim....it would be neat for you to find an old map with your property near Medina lake. Some survey maps make it possible for you to pinpoint almost the exact area where your property is.

Here's a nerdy idea.....how bout a m&g up to Austin to the GLO??? LOL! That's pretty freaky and nerdy combined, right? I'd be the first to sign up.

or you all could go here and find some maps and order them. But what's the fun in that???

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more <-----I have no idea why it says all this ....this is a link to the historical map page of the GLO! ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 10:10 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,196,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Only the "cool" people will post in this thread because the title masks it as "fun" and "educational," thus, keeping the riff raff away.
Not all of them......

Old 10-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Cheapest option would likely be a big-box office supply store, in the teacher section. Before heading over to a store, you might do some research on the web sites of Staples, Office Max and Office Depot to see which one carries a world map.

I know I've seen US maps in these stores, but I don't recall seeing a world map. OTOH, I wasn't searching for maps at the time. It seems like a no-brainer that if they have one, they'd have the other.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:31 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,246,257 times
If you really wanna be decked out...

YouTube - CNN Multi-touch

Old 10-12-2009, 10:32 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Cheapest option would likely be a big-box office supply store, in the teacher section. Before heading over to a store, you might do some research on the web sites of Staples, Office Max and Office Depot to see which one carries a world map.

I know I've seen US maps in these stores, but I don't recall seeing a world map. OTOH, I wasn't searching for maps at the time. It seems like a no-brainer that if they have one, they'd have the other.
That's definitely an option, but to a person obsessed with maps like me, that would absolutely be no fun! Going to Fergusons.....oops..Sorry MAPSCO (can't get out of the habit though it's been ten years since they changed names).....anyway...Mapsco for map peeps is like a kid in a candy store. I'm just glad their close to my daily zooming around.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:56 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,196,629 times
Another source would be supply stores that sell strictly teacher supplies. Can't remember if the public can shop at those or just educators.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,209,594 times
I never did get a map and now my boss is asking again.

Is Mapsco still around??

Old 02-02-2011, 02:35 PM

420 posts, read 1,155,785 times
They are still there. You may also want to check with a custom print shop if they do not have what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio