Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:54 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,678 times

Advertisements

I wish the companies would give us the opportunity to "opt out" of receiving them. I personally never use them. I keep one in the kitchen drawer just in case, but never have opened it. I also keep the little one in the car. It came in handy when we first moved here and were trying to figure out where things were when we were out and about.

I know there are a lot of people who have no computers--my grandma is one. She has no desire to have one and so the phone book is good for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I wish there was some way to stop them from being delivered. Honestly, I just toss them out...
I predict that the government will force the phone book companies to offer a way to opt-out of phonebooks eventually. The trend will start in California before the end of this decade.

I keep my phonebooks in my cars, since Google on my phone is too slow and small.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:01 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,803 times
The only time I've ever used them is when I've been looking for used parts for one of my cars.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:09 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
I got mine a few days ago as well and it made me think of the last time I actually used one of those things.. at least a couple years I think. They definitely need to hand them out only to the people that want them and I can't imagine very many people are living in the stone ages..

Old 12-31-2007, 03:11 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,607 times
I think part of their sales spiel is the fact that everyone "sees" your phone number in their phone book. I think we all know that trend is slowly but surely hitting the way of the trash can, as I also, throw those books in the trash when I get em. Its not bad to do the google thing on here and get phone numbers that way. And heck if I really get into a jam. I can always start a thread on CDF and get a phone number!!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:09 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Default the NUMBER of phone books

Good to hear a lot of people don't use their phonebooks and I can certainly see keeping a copy around for grandma. I can see that phonebooks can still be useful but my original post was to see if everybody received 3 to 4 copies of DIFFERENT yellow pages. One set is fine but different companies pushing a new set every few months is ridiculous.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:07 PM

12 posts, read 52,473 times
Default a major increase of phone book companies this year

If you think there are more this year because you just got here and it is an S.A. habit, try checking with your old home. They are probably getting the same influx this year! I have been shocked by the increase this year, before, only 2 or three companies, and the secondary ones were small, and I mainly got them at the office..

This year, two or three books per company, and they just keep coming!

I use them for paper towels, the weight of the book makes the book it's own dispenser. Great for cleaning art brushes. This is a traditional use in printmaking studios.

Le

Old 01-01-2008, 01:48 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Good to hear a lot of people don't use their phonebooks and I can certainly see keeping a copy around for grandma. I can see that phonebooks can still be useful but my original post was to see if everybody received 3 to 4 copies of DIFFERENT yellow pages. One set is fine but different companies pushing a new set every few months is ridiculous.
I remember getting 3 different sets last year. And a couple of the sets were multiples (one yellow one white pages). I got from Verizon, AT&T, and one other one.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:08 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,956 times
Competition baby competition. I wish I could rid of the phonebook like I could rid of the junk snail mail.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:29 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Sometimes, when you're out and about, they are handy to find "where is the closest XXX to me".
Three letters for ya....G P S!

My Garmin Nuvi not only has the ability to tell you where the closest food, gas, shopping, etc is; it will tell you how to get there! And if you type in a business name, it will give you the address and (I think) phone number (to be honest I never want to call the places I am looking for, only find them!). The Nuvi has been a stress reliever, and well worth the money!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio