Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:36 AM

872 posts, read 1,858,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercone View Post
If you are an active duty family, why not consider base housing? The Lackland Independent School District K-12 is right on the base and serves ONLY families living on the base. Plus, it's one of the finest districts in the county and has small classroom sizes as well.

Lackland Indep School District - District Home
You don't actually have to live on the base to go to the Lackland ISD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 06:22 AM

73 posts, read 229,435 times
I live in the Sunset neighborhood near the intersection of Marbach and Pue, just inside Loop 1604. Personal complaints include the following: (1) The neighborhood seems kind of dirty (especially compared to Schertz, where my family lives), (2) There are numerous stray (and uncontrolled pet) dogs running around, and (3) (Personally my biggest complaint) Unsightly gang tag graffiti litters fences, signs, utility boxes, fireworks stands, etc. throughout the neighborhood and surrounding area. Basically the only reasons I live in Sunset are my brother was already living there when I moved in with him, the low home cost, and the proximity to Lackland AFB. If it was up to me (my brother was the one who purchased our home), I would have lived further north on 1604, outside the Loop between Culebra and Potranco.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:11 AM

168 posts, read 483,865 times
Default Actually, you do.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
You don't actually have to live on the base to go to the Lackland ISD.
Actually, you DO have to live on base in order to attend the school. Following the link below, under "General Information", it plainly states:

"Our students are all children of military personnel and must live in base housing in order to attend our school."

I attended there many years ago and the rule was explicitly followed even then. However, that doesn't mean that they won't make an occasional exception to the rule. I knew of one guy, out of hundreds of students, who lived off base and was allowed to attend the school versus the off base district where he resided.

Lackland Elementary School - About Lackland

Old 11-05-2009, 12:37 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,343,169 times
I didn't look at the rules mastercone, but we were also told my kid could attend the school even if we moved off base and if there was a space for her. But, the commute would have killed us and I wasn't overly excited about Lackland's school anyway....

Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,825,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
I didn't look at the rules mastercone, but we were also told my kid could attend the school even if we moved off base and if there was a space for her. But, the commute would have killed us and I wasn't overly excited about Lackland's school anyway....
You can live off base and send your kids to LISD. The school uses a lottery system to fill open seats: http://www.lacklandisd.net/education/sctemp/3a5670c74979734a2c0f1b42848a92d3/1257453294/Transfer_Guidelines_for_2009-2010.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-05-2009, 04:17 PM

168 posts, read 483,865 times
Default ...that doesn't mean that they won't make an occasional exception to the rule

In my ORIGINAL response to WC2005, I explained that the school policy required you to live ON BASE and later clarified this by also stating, "that doesn't mean that they won't make an occasional exception to the rule." This was buttressed by the CURRENT information provided in general on their website that YOU MUST live on base. My reference to the "OCCASIONAL EXCEPTION TO THE RULE" would have covered the obscure anomalies that allow a child to attend which one would think would include the "LOTTERY SYSTEM." The RULES for the "LOTTERY STSTEM" are restrictive enough and even then there is NO GUARANTEE that a child will be admitted.

When you read the eligibility requirements to apply for the lottery system, you can quickly deduce that any parent cannot just stop by at Lackland ISD and enroll their child for school even though they live off base. They have to be Active Duty MILITARY CURRENTLY ASSIGNED to LACKLAND AFB, and the child can ONLY progress up to the 11th grade. Parents are also fully responsible for transportation of their child to and from school.

For the ORIGINAL POSTER, MrsAF, I was presuming that her family was on Active Duty status. If she is a DOD civilian or a contractor, her child CANNOT attend Lackland Independent School District

Quote:

Actually, you DO have to live on base in order to attend the school. Following the link below, under "General Information", it plainly states:

"Our students are all children of military personnel and must live in base housing in order to attend our school."

I attended there many years ago and the rule was explicitly followed even then. However, that doesn't mean that they won't make an occasional exception to the rule. I knew of one guy, out of hundreds of students, who lived off base and was allowed to attend the school versus the off base district where he resided.

Lackland Elementary School - About Lackland
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
I didn't look at the rules mastercone, but we were also told my kid could attend the school even if we moved off base and if there was a space for her...
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
You can live off base and send your kids to LISD. The school uses a lottery system to fill open seats: LACKLAND ISD NEW STUDENT TRANSFER OPPORTUNITY 2009-2010 (http://www.lacklandisd.net/education/sctemp/3a5670c74979734a2c0f1b42848a92d3/1257453294/Transfer_Guidelines_for_2009-2010.pdf - broken link)

Old 11-05-2009, 05:27 PM

872 posts, read 1,858,948 times
I have a friend who lives off base and has a child attending Lackland ISD currently...and he is a senior. The military parent is deployed and will be stationed on Lackland after the deployment. His previous duty station was out of Texas. There is a way.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:15 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,022,499 times
Either way, NISD and NEISD are good school districts, so it isn't like the offbase schools are bad or anything...

Old 11-05-2009, 10:41 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,343,169 times
Quote:
In my ORIGINAL response to WC2005, I explained that the school policy required you to live ON BASE and later clarified this by also stating, "that doesn't mean that they won't make an occasional exception to the rule." This was buttressed by the CURRENT information provided in general on their website that YOU MUST live on base. My reference to the "OCCASIONAL EXCEPTION TO THE RULE" would have covered the obscure anomalies that allow a child to attend which one would think would include the "LOTTERY SYSTEM." The RULES for the "LOTTERY STSTEM" are restrictive enough and even then there is NO GUARANTEE that a child will be admitted.

When you read the eligibility requirements to apply for the lottery system, you can quickly deduce that any parent cannot just stop by at Lackland ISD and enroll their child for school even though they live off base. They have to be Active Duty MILITARY CURRENTLY ASSIGNED to LACKLAND AFB, and the child can ONLY progress up to the 11th grade. Parents are also fully responsible for transportation of their child to and from school.

For the ORIGINAL POSTER, MrsAF, I was presuming that her family was on Active Duty status. If she is a DOD civilian or a contractor, her child CANNOT attend Lackland Independent School District.

Can confirm that paragraph C of Section 2 of Bylaw 135 reads: "Lighten up, dude"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio