Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:15 PM

51 posts, read 165,971 times

Advertisements

I am currently a special education teacher at an elementary school. My BA is in psychology. I did the alternative certification program and at the end of this school year will have my teaching certificate.

After teaching for these past few months, I realize what I really want to do is be a speech teacher!

I have some very hard choices to make and it will have a big impact on our BUDGET!!

1. I could continue teaching... OR do what I really want to do

2. I really want to go back to school and get my Masters in Communication and learning disorders (speech pathology). It would quit working after this school year and start full- time college courses for the next three years to include summers. This would put us in about 14,000 in debt for student loans.

We can afford for me to stop working right now. My husband will retire in June of 2013 from the Navy and I would graduate in May of 2013.
Is that a recipe for disaster? No job times TWO?
I want to go before I dont want to go anymore. Does that make sense?

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 08:18 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Follow your dream. $14000 in student debt is not that much. When you graduate, you'll get a job, the hubby can work or not, and you can pay that off in no time. I say go for it. No time like the present, especially if you say you can afford it. Nobody would know that better than you. Good luck!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
well, I'd go back, theres nothing better than arming yourself with Knowledge

Old 11-09-2009, 08:23 PM

There is one other issue. We have a 5 and 7 year old. Since I will be going to school in the summer as welll, not sure what we would do with them. We can afford for me not to work, but not so sure about paying a sitter. I talked to my parents and they would keep them for the summer. Hard choice since they have never been away from me. Would probably be harder on me than them!

We live in Cibolo and my husband works on Medina. Neither of us would be home before the kiddos get home from school. Any ideas? My mom suggested a live in nanny? Someone who would live with us for free but be home for the kids and get dinner started. How in the world do you find somoene you could trust? This is actually the biggest reason I am considering not doing this. I figure I have until March to decide. But would like to find a solution ASAP to know if this can work.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:24 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
$14k in student loans is not too bad plus being a full time student, you will be eligible for grants and scholarships and graduate internships that are not available to those only attending part time. It could end up being less than $14k. Full time study works because it allows you to fully concentrate on your coursework and avoid burnout and exhaustion. Lucky you!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Are there any after school programs that they can participate so either of you can pickup after work?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:28 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/personal-finance/

//www.city-data.com/forum/colleges-universities/

//www.city-data.com/forum/military-life-issues/

Above are links to areas of CD where you may find some answers as well...

But your ? is "what would you do" so...

I would go back to school. 14 grand in student loans is very manageable and once you get started there will be scholarship and grant opportunities for you to go after.

You can't be certain that either of you won't have a job in 2013.

Does your husband plan on going into complete retirement from the workforce or just the Navy?

In addition, you would and should be taking the time your last semester to be setting up a for full time position. Even if that does not work, you could always teach (now with a Masters) for a short time.

Last edited by cr1039; 11-09-2009 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 PM

Honestly I don't know about after school programs. I thought those programs were something you had to pay for.

Right now we are in a very weird situation.

I am living in San Angelo with the two kids. This is the only school who gave me and interview. They hired me on the spot! So, we visit each other on the weekends. Its rough, but its getting me my certificate and a year of experience. Initially it was so I could at least get an interview there! But, after teaching here for the past few months. I got to see the inside workings of all the jobs at the school. Lots of ARD meetings and things like that. So, I know now that I reallly want to be a speech teacher. Sorry, its long and complitated I know. But this is what I am dealing with right now. Just thought I would give a little more insight!

What I do know is that the first week in June we are moving back home with hubby and the kids will be going to Wiederstein Elementary again! Regardless of if I get a job there, go to school or just sub, we will not live apart willingly again.
Thanks so much for trying to help me out

Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/personal-finance/

//www.city-data.com/forum/colleges-universities/

//www.city-data.com/forum/military-life-issues/

Above are links to areas of CD where you may find some answers as well...

But your ? is "what would you do" so...

I would go back to school. 14 grand in student loans in very manageable and once you get started there will be scholarship and grant opportunities for you to go after.

You can't be certain that either of you won't have a job in 2013.

Does your husband plan on going into complete retirement from the workforce or just the Navy?

In addition, you would and should be taking the time your last semester to be setting up a for full time position. Even if that does not work, you could always teach (now with a Masters) for a short time.

He is retiring just from the Navy. We just need to think about what ifs... What if he doesnt get a job right out of the Navy? What if I don't get a job right away. It is a bit scary. But, I really do want to do this.
I will be going for three years because since my degree is in psychology and not pathology, I have to take leveling courses. Which is 14 classes!! YIKES!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:07 PM

186 posts, read 345,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-luv-my-sailor View Post
I am currently a special education teacher at an elementary school. My BA is in psychology. I did the alternative certification program and at the end of this school year will have my teaching certificate.

After teaching for these past few months, I realize what I really want to do is be a speech teacher!

I have some very hard choices to make and it will have a big impact on our BUDGET!!

1. I could continue teaching... OR do what I really want to do

2. I really want to go back to school and get my Masters in Communication and learning disorders (speech pathology). It would quit working after this school year and start full- time college courses for the next three years to include summers. This would put us in about 14,000 in debt for student loans.

We can afford for me to stop working right now. My husband will retire in June of 2013 from the Navy and I would graduate in May of 2013.
Is that a recipe for disaster? No job times TWO?
I want to go before I dont want to go anymore. Does that make sense?

What would you do?
Hello ILMS...Advice from a college professor...I recommend you check out the following web site to see if your husband can transfer part of his GI Bill benefit to you.

www.military.com/money-for-school/gi-bill/new-gi-bill-overview

I retired in 1991 and the wife in in 2008. We currently are checking to see if she can transfer a portion of her entitlement to me for the purpose of my completing my PhD. Advice...go for the graduate degree you could plan for your lifetime earnings to slightly more than $2.5 million.

usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa072602a.htm

Good luck!... and go for the degree with no breaks...this is the approach I used to keep my focus and finish what I set out to accomplish...of course graduate school is work but worth the effort if you have the dedication and the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio