Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:35 AM

173 posts, read 598,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
Also being a white woman I feel I can speak to this, but it's such an odd question. "White woman" is such a broad category that I'm having a hard time. I've never been to a city that didn't treat white women as a whole well. Personally I've been reasonably comfortable here. In general I feel safe and have everything I need. If you want to get nitpicky there's good and bad things about San Antonio, but that's true of any city.
Oddly, Ive been a white man all my life and have never had these issues some appear to be worried about. How 'comfortable' someone is might have more to do with who they are and how they treat others than how others treat them. Just a thought...

Old 11-30-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
are you hot?
No, no no...the proper response is: Post pics please!

Old 11-30-2009, 01:28 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
This thread was closed in the Houston forum. Same OP. Just FYI folks.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:53 PM

107 posts, read 277,670 times
TexasCovertCarry: are you saying its odd youve been white all your life?

Old 11-30-2009, 02:21 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmela432 View Post
Ok, I stated Im white and not a racist right off the bat because I knew I was gonna get flooded with comments and not freakin answers. Rather than me say, Hey everybody, how will San Antonio treat a white girl?" And get questions like, what does it matter? you a racist? I simply answered questions I knew that would be asked, ahead of time.
Anyways, My user name is Freakin Carmela !! Im half hispanic, Im just white as sh*t !!
Im not worried about me being a racist because Im not, Im worried about moving somewhere where other people dont like white girls. So thank you LOVESAT, SSHURGOT for answering me, and you two are probably right, maybe I should visit first.
Ok, that made me laugh!

I'm white - German, English and Welsh. I moved here 12 and a half years ago from St. Louis. I was born and raised in central Illinois. I'd never met a culturally aware Hispanic person prior to moving here - I knew Hispanic people in St. Louis, but they just considered themselves white - their culture was no different than mine.

I've never once felt uncomfortable in San Antonio. I relish its diversity - a totally different kind of diversity than I found in St. Louis. I married a Hispanic man after living here six years, and that served to broaden my cultural awareness and to bind me more deeply to San Antonio and south Texas.

Keep an open mind, and remember: You DO NOT need to know Spanish to live here successfully and happily.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naxxan View Post
TexasCovertCarry: are you saying its odd youve been white all your life?
I was being sarcastic

Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCovertCarry View Post
I was being sarcastic
Which begs the question...have you been sarcastic your whole life?!?

Old 11-30-2009, 03:48 PM

417 posts, read 982,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Which begs the question...have you been sarcastic your whole life?!?

Too funny

Old 11-30-2009, 04:23 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCovertCarry View Post
Since you brought it up and its directed at me, Ill be happy to answer. When you preface ANY statement with "I'm white and not racist..." you are obviously looking for someplace to be, probably with as few minorities as possible. There's no other reason for making the statement. Now, given the rich cultural diversity that San Antonio has, I respectfully advised the OP that they probably wouldn't be happy here. Im not calling the person a racist or anything else, just stating what I feel is the obvious. I stand by that.

Your example question of "how comfortable will I be" is just a nice way of saying, how does Schenectady County feel about Hispanics? There is no real way to answer the question as everyones interpretation of what the OP was looking for is going to vary greatly. The best advice Ive seen in this thread is the one saying come for a long visit and see what you think yourself.

Thanks for clarifying that, obviously I missed it; what you said makes complete sense, I just did not see that until now. Thanks again.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:26 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmela432 View Post
Ok, I stated Im white and not a racist right off the bat because I knew I was gonna get flooded with comments and not freakin answers. Rather than me say, Hey everybody, how will San Antonio treat a white girl?" And get questions like, what does it matter? you a racist? I simply answered questions I knew that would be asked, ahead of time.
Anyways, My user name is Freakin Carmela !! Im half hispanic, Im just white as sh*t !!
Im not worried about me being a racist because Im not, Im worried about moving somewhere where other people dont like white girls. So thank you LOVESAT, SSHURGOT for answering me, and you two are probably right, maybe I should visit first.
You are welcome, I again think you will like it here. Come on over and send me a PM when you do. Maybe I will take you for some good Mexican Food! Yum!!!
Okay we can do any kind of food I just love enchiladas, rice and beans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio