Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb057 View Post
You may also want to check out Childsafe ChildSafe - Restoring dignity, trust and hope to children.
ChildSafe provides services to child and adolescent victims of sexual abuse.
ChildSafe is a fantastic place to volunteer. Be advised you typically will go thru a background check and meet with the volunteer coordinator for an interview before they allow you to volunteer due to the nature of the cases and clients they work with.

Right now they are needing volunteers to gift wrap (specifically this Monday evening, 5-7pm) and assembling gingerbread houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:45 AM

546 posts, read 1,500,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
ChildSafe is a fantastic place to volunteer. Be advised you typically will go thru a background check and meet with the volunteer coordinator for an interview before they allow you to volunteer due to the nature of the cases and clients they work with.

Right now they are needing volunteers to gift wrap (specifically this Monday evening, 5-7pm) and assembling gingerbread houses.
I donate a majority of my united way contribution to this organization... I wish i could also contribute my time but having the new baby at home doesnt allow for it

Old 12-13-2009, 10:33 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,748 times
I volunteer at the ADL (Animal Defence League). There is a great need for volunteers and you get to care for the animals on the property. great place to volunteer if you like animals.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:35 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,196,629 times
Meals On Wheels just made a plea for volunteers.......

Old 12-13-2009, 11:35 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,748 times
Just recently found out that you can volunteer at the ACS (Animal Care Service). Great for animal lovers as well.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:25 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Nursing Homes are a great place to volunteer. Many of the old residents have no one to visit them...
If you want to bring a small gift - give it to a resident direct, otherwise he might never see it.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 AM

355 posts, read 1,375,317 times
just curious... what in a background check would prevent you from working with kids, besides the obviuos sex offenders and violent crimes.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
just curious... what in a background check would prevent you from working with kids, besides the obviuos sex offenders and violent crimes.
Usually you can't have any felonies on your record; Any possession (firearm/drugs), DUI/DWIs, and like you mentioned sex and violent crimes.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:11 AM

546 posts, read 1,500,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Nursing Homes are a great place to volunteer. Many of the old residents have no one to visit them...
If you want to bring a small gift - give it to a resident direct, otherwise he might never see it.
This is a good idea, a friend of mine used to take her little doggies (beagle/jack russell mixes) to visit with the residents. Its definitely a real treat for them.If you have any kind of musical talent take that along with you too. She would play the piano and sing songs in the day room to the residents while her dogs would sit in their laps.

I think you have to call the nursing homes to find out if they are ok with you taking the animal. I know her dogs were not certified therapy dogs or anything like that just regular little dogs with big hearts and a love for people.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 AM

24 posts, read 51,336 times
IT's great to see this thread, and know that there are still many people out there that really care and sometimes put their own wants aside to help with someone's needs. God Bless you all!!! I just want to share something that my father and I would do when I was a kid... I grew up in NYC, there were times that we really struggled, I even know what it's like to stay in shelters, and those places that homeless people go for the night, and let me tell you that those places are no places for anyone let alone a child. Well when my parents got on their feet again and we were doing better my father and I would make sandwiches and go to manhattan and give out sandwiches and water every saturday. It wasnt much but they were soooooo greatful! after a few saturday's my father was known as "the sandwich man". It really was a blessing for me because that will always stick with me. Also him and my mom would go around the city everyday after lunch and go to all the bagle stand companies and get all the bagles and donuts that they didnt sell (they were going to be thrown away anyway), bag them up and give them out at our church to the homeless. After a few weeks of that the word got around and by the time it was time to give out the bags they would have a line. I cant tell you how much it means to people to just get a little something. When ever I go to a restaurant I always take what I dont eat in a box and if we pass someone I ask them if they want it and give it to them, anything helps... God Bless SA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio