Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 07:41 AM

410 posts, read 923,919 times

Advertisements

I had heard (on radio) about a Drive-Thru Nativity @ Concordia Lutheran Church. My family drove thru last night. It was wonderful! We were provided homemade cookies at the entrance, a cd w nativity story to correspond with each station, they even had portable stereos on standby for those folks whose cd players weren't functioning. Each and every chruch member we met were most kind/helpful. They had plenty of volunteers to serve as actors, guides, the sets/costumes looked professional. I was hoping to come online and tell others about it so they could visit but was disappointed to learn that it was only on for two nights. I just wanted to say "Thank you" to everyone who contributed their time and resources to event. I'm not a member of this particular church, but just wanted to say how grateful I am that they offered this to our community. Perhaps folks who read about this today can make plans to attend next year. P.S. I think I read they also have another event planned for Easter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 08:25 AM

905 posts, read 2,960,360 times
We saw the signs out last weekend when we were headed home, and made plans to attend. Last night there must have been a thousand cars trying to get in to see this wonderful event. We've gone every year - I think it's been 3 or 4 years that they have been presenting the drive through - and this year was much bigger than last. Considering all the vehicles, Concordia gets high praise for traffic control. Although we missed the cookies, we did get the DVD at the end of the drive. And thankfully, we were one of the ones that needed the portable CD player, since our persnickety one wouldn't accept the CD. My DH had to stop and explain that our CD player wasn't working and immediately she called someone over with the player. We also have one of those vehicles that it's hard to turn off the headlights, and one of the volunteers tried to help out. (Ha ha - we had to get out the owner's manual, but the technique was so complicated that the man said to just not worry about it!) To entertain you while you were waiting in line, they had a live band with singers.

The costumes and sets were very well done and the CD narration flowed very well as you drove along. I do wish that they had it for two weekends, so more people could enjoy it, but considering all the work it takes to put it together, I can appreciate why they didn't. I think in the past they had it for two weekends, but maybe they didn't this year because we are supposed to be short one weekend between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.

I also want to thank the members of Concordia for this wonderful event. It was a great family event for us. With kids in highschool and all their activities and being busy ourselves, it was nice to have some time together in the car to laugh at some of the songs on the radio and just share some family time.

Concordia does plan to have a drive through Passion Play in March to coincide with Easter. You can always check their website, too.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:05 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,605 times
also went on Saturday and agree...traffic control was great. Went at the peak time, but lines kept moving, cookies kept the young ones busy and it was really a no-stress event, despite the massive amount of people. Favorite was the three wise men station.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:56 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,558,546 times
We went several years ago, probably the first time they did it...WONDERFUL!! They have changed the dates, it used to be the first weekend of December. Other obligations prevented us from going this time, but I wish we had...

A hearty thank you to Concordia for the time, $$, and effort it takes to produce this fantastic gesture of faith and goodwill!!

Old 12-21-2009, 10:19 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,558,546 times
Link to writeup by StoneOakInfo.com:

Concordia Drive-Thru Nativity draws thousands | StoneOakInfo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio