Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,136 times

Advertisements

There is a Korean Catholic Church on Blanco road, near the T intersection with Oblate. Outside of this: Two Vietnamese markets can be found on either side of I-35 on Walzam road. A Thai market can be found near Ancira off of Bandera ( I think). A Japanese market is located on Hildebrand, behind a Japanese restaurant. I've seen an Indian market somewhere close to a Vietnamese restaurant I can't remember off the top of my head located near the Thai market on Bandera. There is also a Korean karaoke Lounge near one of the Vietnamese markets on Walzam. Outside of this, a Thai couple manages a hookah lounge / art gallery on South Presa called Bubblehead (they mostly serve bubble tea).

If you're looking for restaurants, Kiku Garden is a Korean / Japanese restaurant on Rittiman (It's the lighthouse you see next to I-35). Get Bul-Go-Gi (?) if you go there off the lunch menu. The three Thai restaurants I've tried are Thai Chalurn on Walzem, Chaba on SE military, and Thai Cafe in the Wal-Mart outlet mall on Rigsby / 410. I will recommend Chaba first and foremost out of them. Pho Bien An is a Vietnamese restaurant thats located where Thai Laos used to be: Behind Northstar mall. On the access road of West 410 after Highway 90, going north, is Lily's Filipino Restaurant and Bakery. If you've never had filipino before: Imagine a cross of mexican and chinese food. There is also Mela, An indian establishment that is somewhat pricey.

This concludes all knowledge I have of the asian community (Not counting Middle easterners) here in San Antonio. It's not much and mostly from a consumer's point of view, but I hope it helps. Judging from all I've seen: We're not lacking in an asian community here. There is also a Chinese market I believe near fort same houston, but I may be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
San Antonio is really lacking in Asian activities is what dopo and I have seen. Still, there are two or three Chinese Schools here that teach Chinese on Sundays to both native and non native speaking students. Other than that, I just go to Houston every other weekend and get my Asian fun there.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
San Antonio is really lacking in Asian activities is what dopo and I have seen. Still, there are two or three Chinese Schools here that teach Chinese on Sundays to both native and non native speaking students. Other than that, I just go to Houston every other weekend and get my Asian fun there.
There are also Japanese schools here in San Antonio, but usually privately run by Japanese businesses. Definitely a lot of Asians in Houston. We go there (Hong Kong Market) to buy fish.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:15 AM

I would think Toyota would be involved in running Japanese schools so maybe there's some Asian action in that aspect here in San Antonio. I agree that Houston is great for Asian groceries and fresh fish, especially the Ding Hao market, you can pick out your own live fish and take it home to cook. Now that's fresh.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:48 AM

810 posts, read 1,425,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post

Hays County (Austin): 1.2% Asian
Bexar County (San Antonio): 2.2% Asian
Austin should be Travis County, not Hays County which shows 5.6%. Also, you should consider Collin County when talking about Dallas and Collin County shows 9.8% in addition to the 4.6% in Dallas County.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,646,222 times
Tim's Oriental & Seafood Market on Bandera Rd. near Huebner....good stuff there, a friend of mine sometimes drives all the way across town to go to this one.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 AM

Asian Market close by too, on Wurzbach.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:44 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,652 times
Dallas is in Dallas County not Collin. Collin is a suburb.

Also, Bexar has a population of nearly 1.7 million. 2.2 percent of 1.7 million is 38,000.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:52 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Dallas is in Dallas County not Collin. Collin is a suburb.

Also, Bexar has a population of nearly 1.7 million. 2.2 percent of 1.7 million is 38,000.
When you refer to Dallas as a city, we are talking about the entire metroplex, not counting Fort Worth of course. Colin county covers many cities north of Dallas county line and it is all part of the Dallas metroplex. Why do we have to repeat this again?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:18 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Where are those schools?
I bet they are at least 20 miles away from Schertz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio