Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 10:47 AM

9 posts, read 21,758 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I've been reading the posts on here about the RedBird Ranch community but I havent seen much of anything on Bella Vista homes. We're looking to buy a home and we do like both communities.

However, in order to get the tax credit we would be going with the Americana Horton home (The Lexington). I'm worried about this one because (1) Americana has all siding and no brick and (2) all of the electrical box thingie tower things are in the FRONT yard on all Americana homes. This homes is move-in ready... and its BROWN. lol. I can LIVE with the brown siding, I guess... but ugh. Brown!!!

I like the community in the Horton area...it's pretty...and spacious..and seems "established".

Now... the Bella Vista home (Pueblo) would have to be built and we would miss the tax credit. BUT, they offer a 14,000 deal to add extra crap in the house. We would pick the simpliest and do the stuff ourselves, so it would bring the house lower. But, I havent heard much about this community and I didn't find many google hits on the builder. The house is 3 sides of brick and comes that way...it comes w/double pane windows and ALL of the specs are listed online (type of roof, and what parts come from whom)

Any help would be awesome...... I've read the RedBird Ranch forum thread already. lol I'm all about the bbq participation.........

AHHHHHHHHH! I think I'm freaking out.

-Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 AM

29 posts, read 50,423 times
Hi Mary,

I'm confused why you think you would lose the Tax Credit? The way the rules read you have to be under "Contract" by April 30th and closed by June 30th... Theoretically you could go under contract this month and closed by that time frame. What are they telling you is their build time on the Bella Vista home?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 AM

The Bella Vista guy said it would be done in July...... :| Apparently a lot of people have bought homes there and they are backlogged? I didn't see any open construction though.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:05 PM

29 posts, read 50,423 times
Wow, thats interesting... There are a lot of other builders that are on a 60 day build cycle. Are those the only builders that interest you? Have you thought of pre-owned? You can buy then rehab..

The reason I ask is because buying a home that you are not satisfied with will be a regret that will stay with you for a while. Purchasing a home is a very large decision. Buying a home in haste, that you have doubts about, just to take advantage of the tax credit may not be worth it in the long run.

Last edited by pan2sa; 04-09-2010 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-09-2010, 04:12 PM

221 posts, read 562,204 times
60 day build cycle? this isn't extreme home makeover or habitat for humanity average build time in SA is 120 days. If it was any quicker than 90 I would tell them to keep the keys...

penguin_dust: consider this....In a years time that 8k will be long gone...Are you really going to choose a home that your going to pay for month after month for the next X amount of years...simply because it was ready in time for to get the tax credit?

Trust me I purchased my home two years ago and received that nice credit and now it's long gone and forgotten about. It sounds to me like you don't like the DR Horton home but are "settling" so the choice is simple....GO with your GUT!!!

Old 04-09-2010, 04:35 PM

lol yeah... I just didn't like that the Horton Americana homes are all siding and they all have the boxes and stuff on the front lawns of every house! ugh.

I told my realtor no to that community. It's a shame... it was a pretty area. But that home was already more stressful .... lol

I'm gonna keep looking around.

Why do all builders say "we're inceasing ALL of our prices next week". Gosh... is there a builder who doesn't BS people?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:44 PM

221 posts, read 562,204 times
yeah i hate the car salesman attitude but they are not all like that the lady that sold us our home has since become our close friend like in any business you have to weed out the bad seeds...=) FYI if all your realtor is showing you is DRHorton communities it might be the 6% commission motivating them not your BEST interest...

Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,030 times
Penguin_dust,
Do you mind me asking why you didn't look at any existing homes in Redbird Ranch? There are alot of military people in this neighborhood, and the neighborhood began selling about 3 years ago, so a lot of us are now up for PCS. My husband is a Marine and we have orders to NC- we own a Lexington floorplan on Cardinal Way and we've been having problems competing with the builder, but I don't get it- yeah, it's not brand new, but it's still under warranty, has lots of upgrades, and DOESN'T have an ugly box in the front yard. I don't know what that's about, because only maybe 2 houses on our street have a box in the front yard, but in the section they're currently building it seems EVERY SINGLE HOUSE has one! Anyhoo- just hoping for some insight, because we're looking at losing $5000 if we were to even get asking price and that doesn't include the money we spent on landscaping (which is pretty extensive in front and back), the glass front door we had installed after purchase, the deck we added, etc...
Thanks- and good luck in your search- when we moved here 3 years ago, I was pregnant and house hunting all by myself- I cried every day of the hunt. It's supposed to be fun, but I found it to be overwhelming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_dust View Post
lol yeah... I just didn't like that the Horton Americana homes are all siding and they all have the boxes and stuff on the front lawns of every house! ugh.

I told my realtor no to that community. It's a shame... it was a pretty area. But that home was already more stressful .... lol

I'm gonna keep looking around.

Why do all builders say "we're inceasing ALL of our prices next week". Gosh... is there a builder who doesn't BS people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio