Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 02:41 PM

21 posts, read 40,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
ummmm.....I certainly hope you come across better in person, my friend! Taken in another context, "Some of my best friends are xyz!" Please - lose the condescending 'tude on the way down! Most folks around here are not only friendly, they'll even stop in their gas-guzzlin', non-eco friendly trucks and lend a hand if you have a problem on the side of the road.

With all due respect, go back and read what you wrote, then ask how you would react were the roles reversed. I always get a kick out of folks sayin' how they're "open-minded".....until you disagree with them.
I'm not sure how anything I said could come off as offensive/condescending -unless you define yourself racist or violent. I'm absolutely sure we are misunderstanding each other. I would apologize, but I just don't see why that would be needed as plenty of others seem to have understood my question without being offended.

I do however appreciate your response and the information about the amount of people with CCW permits etc.

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, I just want to be able to find a community of friendly people. I know there are good people everywhere and am not worried about that, I just want some kind of assurance that I am relocating to an area where there are also some that share my beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 02:59 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticletters View Post
Hello,

Every time I search for information in this topic, a google search brings me to this forum, so I thought I'd sign up and make my own thread.

I have a prospective job offer in San Antonio and currently live in Detroit, MI. I had been looking for jobs in Austin (a city I have wanted to move to for quite some time) but came upon this job in San Antonio that may be too good to pass up.

Here's my concern, my girlfriend (moving with me, also a midwest transplant) and I are both vegan, strongly environmentally/sustainability minded, left leaning people (hence the Austin choice). We're both very patient and tolerant of most everyone (save for racists and violent individuals) but neither of us would be happy living in a conservative community.

I know it may be asking a lot, but is there anywhere in San Antonio that leans more to this kind of lifestyle? Or even better, is there a city somewhere between SA and Austin where we might be comfortable (I'm also a cyclist and have heard riding a bike in either city is fairly dangerous)?

Any suggestions or tips will help. Thanks!
From what I've experienced, and with regards to anyone's own beliefs whether it be politics or whatever lifestyle choice, so long as someone doesn't rub others' noses in it or try or convert them over they'll all get along just fine. It's when someone starts coming over the fence and telling someone else how to live that the problem begins. The reason I say this is in direct response to what I bolded in your original statement. Because it comes across as one of those statements like how someone values diversity, so long as it isn't anywhere near where they are.

FWIW, and for what I know about the others in my somewhat small neighborhood on the northside you would get along just fine where I am so long as you don't mind how people nearby choose to live because I think there are at least a couple of like-minded families very close by. They respect their neighbors, and their neighbors respect them.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:28 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
ummmm.....I certainly hope you come across better in person, my friend! Taken in another context, "Some of my best friends are xyz!" Please - lose the condescending 'tude on the way down! Most folks around here are not only friendly, they'll even stop in their gas-guzzlin', non-eco friendly trucks and lend a hand if you have a problem on the side of the road.

With all due respect, go back and read what you wrote, then ask how you would react were the roles reversed. I always get a kick out of folks sayin' how they're "open-minded".....until you disagree with them. Now me, I really don't care if you ride a one-legged camel down Main street, as long as you obey the Rules of the Road - but if you're going to start telling me how your way is superior, and that you're "accepting" of those less enlightened - then yeah, you won't like the close-up view you're gonna get of mah face.

And one thing you DO need to know - Texas is quite "gun-friendly". Now, most folks understand that there's nothing to fear from law-abiding gun owners - but others have this irrational fear of 'em. The odds are that 90% of anyone you encounter will either have a gun, or have ready access to one. 99.99% of 'em will present no threat to you - Texas has concealed handgun laws. The oddball .01% - that's when you're going to find out why the rest of us carry!
I'm grateful that this sort of temperament isn't representative of most of the Texans I know (though, for obvious reasons, it's a common-held stereotype about Texans).

The OP was polite and respectful, and in no way condescending (unless, as he said, you're a racist or violent person). He simply indicated a preference for what he & his girlfriend are looking for in a neighborhood. If, as you suggest, the roles were reversed (for example, he wouldn't be happy living in a liberal community, or they were looking for a neighborhood where they could ride horses & shoot guns, or both), only the most defensive & irrational of people would take issue with that.

They're just stating their preference, not judging yours.

And your rant about guns in Texas (with some really, uh, compelling "statistics") reveals much about your, ahem, priorities.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:31 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how anything I said could come off as offensive/condescending -unless you define yourself racist or violent. I'm absolutely sure we are misunderstanding each other. I would apologize, but I just don't see why that would be needed as plenty of others seem to have understood my question without being offended.

I do however appreciate your response and the information about the amount of people with CCW permits etc.

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, I just want to be able to find a community of friendly people. I know there are good people everywhere and am not worried about that, I just want some kind of assurance that I am relocating to an area where there are also some that share my beliefs.
It was the nature of your post, my friend. If you don't understand that, I'm sorry - part of it is, I'm sure, cultural - and why I didn't stake your hide to a fence. Ma always taught me that when I walk into a room full of strangers, say as little as possible so as not to offend. When someone wants to know if their liberal, vegan, eco-special selves are going to be greeted with a wonderful sense of brotherhood and community....well, you get the picture.

Now - if you've made it this far....<G> Know that as others said, Texans tend to let you do your thing as long as you let us do ours. We'll hold the door for your lady, say "howdy!" to you, and generally treat you as an honored guest. We don't much care what you think of our ways, because we do 'em because it's the way we were raised. Get to know us well enough, and you're likely to find we're more earth-friendly than most environmentalists you know.....

As to where to live - honestly, it doesn't matter. Other than certain sections of the city (like most metro areas) where few folks want to live, people pretty much get along. We enjoy our differences, and celebrate the chance to compare ways of doing things.

Good luck to you, I think you'll enjoy it more than you can imagine!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
From what I've experienced, and with regards to anyone's own beliefs whether it be politics or whatever lifestyle choice, so long as someone doesn't rub others' noses in it or try or convert them over they'll all get along just fine. It's when someone starts coming over the fence and telling someone else how to live that the problem begins. The reason I say this is in direct response to what I bolded in your original statement. Because it comes across as one of those statements like how someone values diversity, so long as it isn't anywhere near where they are.
Thank you! I appreciate you pointing out specifically what rubbed you the wrong way about my post and I can see how it would come off that way - wish I could go back and edit it.

When I spoke of "conservative" or "liberal" I wasn't speaking about politics at all - I was talking about the social values of a community. With "liberal" meaning "open to change" and "conservative" meaning "likes things the way they are and don't want a stranger coming in and messing with it". There are plenty of POLITICALLY liberal communities (several in California come to mind) that are extremely CONSERVATIVE socially. You know what I mean?

Old 03-10-2010, 03:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
As an environmentalist you must realize that by far the greenest thing you could do is live close to where you work. I can't imagine forcing yourself to have a long commute out of fear of the neighbor's politics. Why not embrace the city if you are going to work there and take advantage of the best things it has to offer? San Antonio does have a lot to offer and I'm sure it has its own share of liberals, why not get to know them? You are not likely to find much more liberal areas in between SA and Austin. If you really want to live more rural, I'd suggest upstream from Canyon Lake, Sequin or San Marcos, and there are some really nice areas around New Braunfels also (visit Gruene, TX, have lunch at the grist mill). FYI Bexar County (San Antonio) voted Obama 275,023, McCane 245,932 While Travis County (Austin) voted Obama 253,278, McCain 136,671 So both are quite liberal by Texas standards. You can see the areas between Travis County and Bexar County are all red.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...#ixzz0hoj61luJ

Old 03-10-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
As an environmentalist you must realize that by far the greenest thing you could do is live close to where you work. I can't imagine forcing yourself to have a long commute out of fear of the neighbor's politics. Why not embrace the city if you are going to work there and take advantage of the best things it has to offer? San Antonio does have a lot to offer and I'm sure it has its own share of liberals, why not get to know them? You are not likely to find much more liberal areas in between SA and Austin. If you really want to live more rural, I'd suggest upstream from Canyon Lake, Sequin or San Marcos, and there are some really nice areas around New Braunfels also (visit Gruene, TX, have lunch at the grist mill). FYI Bexar County (San Antonio) voted Obama 275,023, McCane 245,932 While Travis County (Austin) voted Obama 253,278, McCain 136,671 So both are quite liberal by Texas standards. You can see the areas between Travis County and Bexar County are all red.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...#ixzz0hoj61luJ
Thank you! I have considered the negatives of the long commute, but also weighed the positives of living outside of the city (more space to grow my own food, etc).

And again, I'm not so much talking about politics when I say "liberal and conservative", I'm really regretting even using those words. I guess here's a condensed (maybe easier to understand) version of my original post:

"Does anybody know of an area in the greater San Antonio area where life would be more manageable for a vegan/cyclist?"

furthermore, are there any vegans or cyclists out there that can share their experiences living in SA?

Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I appreciate you pointing out specifically what rubbed you the wrong way about my post and I can see how it would come off that way - wish I could go back and edit it.

When I spoke of "conservative" or "liberal" I wasn't speaking about politics at all - I was talking about the social values of a community. With "liberal" meaning "open to change" and "conservative" meaning "likes things the way they are and don't want a stranger coming in and messing with it". There are plenty of POLITICALLY liberal communities (several in California come to mind) that are extremely CONSERVATIVE socially. You know what I mean?
No problem - as for me personally, I'm more of a small "l" libertarian. No affiliation with the party with the same name / don't care what people do in their personal life or whatever so long as it doesn't harm someone else (keeping the gov't out of that) / fiscally conservative (cut gov't spending and such). That, plus stereotypical northwestern obsessive compulsive recycler. I do know what you mean about the other meaning to conservative and liberal - I'm in the Lower Queen Anne neighborhood in Seattle when not in SA and see the signs in some of the windows, and know better than to speak up on certain things here.

What I've noticed at least about my neighborhood (in SA) is that people have a similar attitude to mine as to what their neighbors choose to do or not do. In that, you can have your beliefs, values and they can have theirs, and everyone gets along quite happily that way. So if judgment of your own values you mentioned on the board is a concern, I wouldn't worry about that. Of course with coming in and introducing new ideas, those new ideas become open to debate and discussion and those exposed to them may adopt or choose not to adopt these things.

Regarding open-mindedness about all I can speak for in San Antonio is my own area, but for example some of the neighbors I've talked to after asking about some of the energy saving projects I've done around the house have decided to adopt a few of the same ideas as well. Other things such as biking to the park, not so much. Likewise, some of them keep their truck or Suburban, my wife and I choose to keep the Volvo and the hatchback. If you're looking for lively debate or discussion amongst friends you can easily have that here. I haven't been cut out as I would expect to in the NW for having certain thoughts or opinions.

Anyway, hope that's some sort of use to your question.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I have considered the negatives of the long commute, but also weighed the positives of living outside of the city (more space to grow my own food, etc).

And again, I'm not so much talking about politics when I say "liberal and conservative", I'm really regretting even using those words. I guess here's a condensed (maybe easier to understand) version of my original post:

"Does anybody know of an area in the greater San Antonio area where life would be more manageable for a vegan/cyclist?"

furthermore, are there any vegans or cyclists out there that can share their experiences living in SA?
The soil is strongly alkaline here due to the limestone all around. It is also a bit shallow and stony. Your options for growing your own food may be different from what you might otherwise expect (for example, if you want blueberries to thrive you can't plant the bush in the ground - you have to give it a large pot and plant with a sand / peat mix. And of course vegetables that enjoy a colder climate won't do well at all.

Also for what it's worth I see cyclists on Huebner Rd inside Loop 1604 commuting in the early hours before many cars are out. They wear lots of lights and seem to manage ok. I'll bike a mile down Huebner to get to a trail that runs along Salado Creek, but will stick to the sidewalk because there are no bike lanes and I'd rather not risk me vs. a car. There are decent road biking options (mostly outside of the city) as well as mountain or paved trail options running along Salado and Leon Creek. A state park to the W/NW of the city called Government Canyon also has nice biking. Some of the trails are rather new and still rough. There's a small admission cost, but the state sells year passes too. There are more part-time cyclists than one might think around here. Every trail I've been on is well-utilized and I'm rarely alone for too long. The unpaved ones along creek beds are typically maintained by the local cycling and outdoor community, while the city takes care of trails at McAllister Park and inside O.P. Schnabel Park and a stretch of the Salado Creek Greenway. So I guess there's one opinion of a semi-cyclist in that there's more than enough for me to go do and have a fun time on.

As for a land vs. distance from city center decision... I think the areas with the largest lots within loop 1604 are Shavano Park, Castle Hills and Hollywood Park. Land 1 acre and up is not uncommon there if you're really serious about planting.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
No problem - as for me personally, I'm more of a small "l" libertarian. No affiliation with the party with the same name / don't care what people do in their personal life or whatever so long as it doesn't harm someone else (keeping the gov't out of that) / fiscally conservative (cut gov't spending and such). That, plus stereotypical northwestern obsessive compulsive recycler. I do know what you mean about the other meaning to conservative and liberal - I'm in the Lower Queen Anne neighborhood in Seattle when not in SA and see the signs in some of the windows, and know better than to speak up on certain things here.

What I've noticed at least about my neighborhood (in SA) is that people have a similar attitude to mine as to what their neighbors choose to do or not do. In that, you can have your beliefs, values and they can have theirs, and everyone gets along quite happily that way. So if judgment of your own values you mentioned on the board is a concern, I wouldn't worry about that. Of course with coming in and introducing new ideas, those new ideas become open to debate and discussion and those exposed to them may adopt or choose not to adopt these things.

Regarding open-mindedness about all I can speak for in San Antonio is my own area, but for example some of the neighbors I've talked to after asking about some of the energy saving projects I've done around the house have decided to adopt a few of the same ideas as well. Other things such as biking to the park, not so much. Likewise, some of them keep their truck or Suburban, my wife and I choose to keep the Volvo and the hatchback. If you're looking for lively debate or discussion amongst friends you can easily have that here. I haven't been cut out as I would expect to in the NW for having certain thoughts or opinions.

Anyway, hope that's some sort of use to your question.
Very helpful. thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio