Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:37 PM

21 posts, read 40,593 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Every time I search for information in this topic, a google search brings me to this forum, so I thought I'd sign up and make my own thread.

I have a prospective job offer in San Antonio and currently live in Detroit, MI. I had been looking for jobs in Austin (a city I have wanted to move to for quite some time) but came upon this job in San Antonio that may be too good to pass up.

Here's my concern, my girlfriend (moving with me, also a midwest transplant) and I are both vegan, strongly environmentally/sustainability minded, left leaning people (hence the Austin choice). We're both very patient and tolerant of most everyone (save for racists and violent individuals) but neither of us would be happy living in a conservative community.

I know it may be asking a lot, but is there anywhere in San Antonio that leans more to this kind of lifestyle? Or even better, is there a city somewhere between SA and Austin where we might be comfortable (I'm also a cyclist and have heard riding a bike in either city is fairly dangerous)?

Any suggestions or tips will help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 01:11 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,530 times
I don't know if you will find a whole community of like minded folk in San Antonio. Austin would seem to be the better fit. However, not everyone you meet will be conservative.

As far as the cycling, I can't speak to riding within the city, but the hill country is wonderful for riding. There is an active cycling community all around, and you see cyclists quite often. There is also a very vocal anti-cycling vibe too, most present online after any news article is written regarding cyclists and rules of the road. But I haven't had any hostile encounters with motorists out here in the Boerne area.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:13 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
I think maybe around Southtown would be your best bet - active arts community, lots of hip and aware people in the area.

I'm a raging liberal and I get along here just fine.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:26 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticletters View Post
Hello,

Every time I search for information in this topic, a google search brings me to this forum, so I thought I'd sign up and make my own thread.

I have a prospective job offer in San Antonio and currently live in Detroit, MI. I had been looking for jobs in Austin (a city I have wanted to move to for quite some time) but came upon this job in San Antonio that may be too good to pass up.

Here's my concern, my girlfriend (moving with me, also a midwest transplant) and I are both vegan, strongly environmentally/sustainability minded, left leaning people (hence the Austin choice). We're both very patient and tolerant of most everyone (save for racists and violent individuals) but neither of us would be happy living in a conservative community.

I know it may be asking a lot, but is there anywhere in San Antonio that leans more to this kind of lifestyle? Or even better, is there a city somewhere between SA and Austin where we might be comfortable (I'm also a cyclist and have heard riding a bike in either city is fairly dangerous)?

Any suggestions or tips will help. Thanks!
I'm patient & tolerant of most everyone except vegans...

Just kidding (although vegans are a pretty damn rare breed down here in Tex-Mex/barbecue country).

The neighborhoods you should look for are Lavaca, King William, Monte Vista, Alta Vista, River Road, and Mahncke Park. I have friends in all these neighborhoods, many of whom have edible yards, chicken coops, etc. and ride their bike to work. Basically, any of the neighborhoods near downtown tend to have high concentrations of like-minded folks.

Actually, you'll find that Austin & San Antonio, on the whole, tend to lean slightly to the left (we haven't elected a registered Republican mayor in a loooooooooong time), and the central parts of both cities lean strongly to the left. The suburban parts of both Austin and SA are reliably (and predictably) conservative. But I really think that most Texans, regardless of their personal politics, tend to take a pretty libertarian (it's-really-none-of-my-damned-business) approach to other people's beliefs.

Welcome to town. Austin is great, but I think SA is a little more...authentic. It's a hell of a lot more affordable than Austin. And the best part is that neither are Dallas or Houston!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:34 PM

325 posts, read 781,206 times
Is your bike made of bamboo/wood and is it a single speed fixie, I'm trying to determine your commitment to sustainable organic living?? Coming from Detroit you will enjoy the extended riding season.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:47 PM

556 posts, read 2,087,424 times
Hey - good luck on the potential job! Heck - if it's too good to pass up - then bring your vegan self and girlfriend and join this diverse city we all call home!!!

There are lots and lots of avid cyclists here in SA - and many cycling meetup groups you can check out by going to meetup.com and putting in a local zip code (78209 is a good start).

If you are a true vegan, then you know how to walk into most any restaurant and FIND something that fits your dietary needs - our city will be just like where you are moving from - once you find your fav's - you'll be all set!

If you are tolerant of others who don't eat/live exactly as you do - you will likely be met with equally as much tolerance Once people get to know you - expect some jovial ribbing about your choices, but that's when you know the locals have accepted you as one of their own!

The best to you - I think you and your girlfriend would be GREAT right here in SA....and Keepin' it Weird Austin is just a short drive up the road anytime you both decide to get a dose of that city! Make sure you have a bike rack on your car - because there are some great bike paths in Austin!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DMaxx View Post
Is your bike made of bamboo/wood and is it a single speed fixie, I'm trying to determine your commitment to sustainable organic living?? Coming from Detroit you will enjoy the extended riding season.
I actually ride all year round here in Detroit (road bike for the warmer months, crappy mountain bike to handle the salt on the road during the freezing season), but yeah -it will be nice to have an extended season without fearing for my life slipping on ice.

To answer your first question, I'm not quite cool enough to have a wooden bike and don't find fixed gears to be very practical, but I DID make all four of my bikes from salvaged parts.

Thanks to EVERYONE for your thoughtful comments. Please keep them coming. I am still curious about possible towns in between the two cities as well.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
And the best part is that neither are Dallas or Houston!
This cracked me up.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticletters View Post
Hello,

We're both very patient and tolerant of most everyone (save for racists and violent individuals) but neither of us would be happy living in a conservative community.
ummmm.....I certainly hope you come across better in person, my friend! Taken in another context, "Some of my best friends are xyz!" Please - lose the condescending 'tude on the way down! Most folks around here are not only friendly, they'll even stop in their gas-guzzlin', non-eco friendly trucks and lend a hand if you have a problem on the side of the road.

With all due respect, go back and read what you wrote, then ask how you would react were the roles reversed. I always get a kick out of folks sayin' how they're "open-minded".....until you disagree with them. Now me, I really don't care if you ride a one-legged camel down Main street, as long as you obey the Rules of the Road - but if you're going to start telling me how your way is superior, and that you're "accepting" of those less enlightened - then yeah, you won't like the close-up view you're gonna get of mah face.

And one thing you DO need to know - Texas is quite "gun-friendly". Now, most folks understand that there's nothing to fear from law-abiding gun owners - but others have this irrational fear of 'em. The odds are that 90% of anyone you encounter will either have a gun, or have ready access to one. 99.99% of 'em will present no threat to you - Texas has concealed handgun laws. The oddball .01% - that's when you're going to find out why the rest of us carry!

Old 03-10-2010, 02:35 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
ummmm.....I certainly hope you come across better in person, my friend! Taken in another context, "Some of my best friends are xyz!" Please - lose the condescending 'tude on the way down! Most folks around here are not only friendly, they'll even stop in their gas-guzzlin', non-eco friendly trucks and lend a hand if you have a problem on the side of the road.

With all due respect, go back and read what you wrote, then ask how you would react were the roles reversed. I always get a kick out of folks sayin' how they're "open-minded".....until you disagree with them. Now me, I really don't care if you ride a one-legged camel down Main street, as long as you obey the Rules of the Road - but if you're going to start telling me how your way is superior, and that you're "accepting" of those less enlightened - then yeah, you won't like the close-up view you're gonna get of mah face.

And one thing you DO need to know - Texas is quite "gun-friendly". Now, most folks understand that there's nothing to fear from law-abiding gun owners - but others have this irrational fear of 'em. The odds are that 90% of anyone you encounter will either have a gun, or have ready access to one. 99.99% of 'em will present no threat to you - Texas has concealed handgun laws. The oddball .01% - that's when you're going to find out why the rest of us carry!
Couldn't have said it better myself. I'd rep ya if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio