Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:31 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,382,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
All of the pics are between 1894 and 1914. Most of the homes are 1901-1904. The Parade is 1903. With dad gone there is just no way of knowing. It will always be a family secret lost. I'm just glad i was able to save the pics. I still have the originals. And I've got some of their vacation pics in Niagara Falls which I didn't post since they were not relevant.
Gy...if they are pre-1921....and around 1914 or before, most of that development would be closer into town. I hope they don't fall into any of the areas where the homes were washed away or raised for highway construction.

So you don't have a clue to names of relations that were in SA around the turn of the century? I was just thinking that you might be able to do a property search with some of your ancestors names to locate the lots or property they owned...then see if any of those homes might still be standing....or even better, match up to the pictures you have. Also the city directories go back that far, so that might be a resource as well! That would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 08:16 PM

63 posts, read 259,204 times
does anyone know what was the original purpose of the building in the background of this picture?

TheAlamoCity.com (http://www.thealamocity.com/scripts/ISERVCGI.EXE/showcard?ID_Num=11237.B.jpg&Size=1 - broken link)

Old 12-30-2008, 08:34 PM

657 posts, read 1,938,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sereneintexas View Post
does anyone know what was the original purpose of the building in the background of this picture?

TheAlamoCity.com (http://www.thealamocity.com/scripts/ISERVCGI.EXE/showcard?ID_Num=11237.B.jpg&Size=1 - broken link)
It was originally the Medical Arts Building (doctors offices). Not it is the Emily Morgan Hotel.

History | Emily Morgan Hotel | Downtown San Antonio Texas

Old 12-30-2008, 09:09 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,566,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I have about 89 pics of San Antonio from 1894-1914:

The photobucket site is:

Canyouidentify-020-1.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

gy - sorry for the late comments. Just started looking at your photos. The architecture is similar to parts of King William and the Alta Vista/Tobin Hill area.

I could swear picture # 3 is a house on Mission St, just south of Pereida, right as the street curves a bit. In the King William District, kind of behind Beethoven Mannerchor Biergarten. We made an offer on it a few years back. I could be wrong, as there similar houses around, but it looks *a lot* like it.

# 46 looks like a house on Cedar St, a couple of houses up (closer to S. Alamo) from the old Children's Shelter. It always makes me think of San Francisco because it's tall and skinny.

The one you posted (#73?) looks really familiar to me, but I can't place it. I want to say it's in Baja King William as well, on WIckes or Guenther St, but am not sure. #88 is another I could swear I know, but can't place. As I said, some of the area north of downtown has very similar housing, so these may not be the KW area.

Have you taken these photos to the SA Conservation Society? These are a real treasure!

Do you know what your family or the people who likely took these photos did for a living? Where they German descent?

Oh how I love these old photos! I would love to study them for days! I wish we could find some of our house, but so far, nothing...

Old 10-11-2010, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 17,206 times
need picture of the doubble dip ice cream shop on peache & golida

Old 10-14-2010, 08:59 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,398,179 times
Default That is one of many photos,

If you wnat to see these type of photographs look in the Library of Congresss Archives of depression era Texas, San Antonio's west side.It is fascinating stuff a window into the past of the only thirld world living conditions ever to exist in the United States, right here in San Antonio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
I didnt want to post the actual photo, I thought it might make the thread load kinda slow, so here is the url of a photo that dates back to 1929. its a line of people during the depression here in San Antonio
http://colfa.utsa.edu/users/jreynold...a/8a25512r.jpg

I looked at this photo, and it made me think of how rough life must have been then.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM

262 posts, read 911,822 times
Anyone have any pictures of the former St. Michael's Academy & Church on South street? Thanks!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:22 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,509,731 times
Anyone remember the Fredricksburg road drive-in theatre? Interstate 10 wasn't even in the background yet. I need a time machine, so I can go back and buy up all that land....I'll start on it tomorrow.....
Attached Thumbnails
Historical/Old photos of San Antonio-gl-fredericksburg_road_drive-in_-_san_antonio__tx_-_to_the_left-res.jpg  

Old 10-18-2010, 02:34 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,509,731 times
Here's a shot of North Star Mall back in 1963. (year I was born!)

Guess the boots came later....
Attached Thumbnails
Historical/Old photos of San Antonio-sat1963.jpg  

Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,041,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Anyone remember the Fredricksburg road drive-in theatre? Interstate 10 wasn't even in the background yet. I need a time machine, so I can go back and buy up all that land....I'll start on it tomorrow.....
Where exactly was that? Fredericksburg Rd. & what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio