Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 01:32 PM

21 posts, read 62,509 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard about what's going on at Taft with the rumored planned shooting tomorrow? Usually I'd chalk it up to kids spreading rumors. But my daughter goes to Comm Arts which shares a campus with Taft and the teachers are admitting to the students that there was an Administrative meeting called addressing the threat. There have been multiple fights this week as well. One involved a girl, 2 guys and the NISD cop on campus. The next day there were 3 guys who got into a fight and attacked the cop as well. My daughter had video. She says it's pretty tense around there this week.

I was thinking of keeping her home, just in case. Is anyone else who has kids on the Taft campus keeping them home? Have to say, I really wish the school would have sent out a recording or something. Hate hearing this from my kid and then SA.com. There's now info about it on Taft's web page at least.

Last edited by Bo; 04-15-2010 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: Posts 1-12 moved from another thread into this new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 01:34 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlemier View Post
Has anyone heard about what's going on at Taft with the rumored planned shooting tomorrow? Usually I'd chalk it up to kids spreading rumors. But my daughter goes to Comm Arts which shares a campus with Taft and the teachers are admitting to the students that there was an Administrative meeting called addressing the threat. There have been multiple fights this week as well. One involved a girl, 2 guys and the NISD cop on campus. The next day there were 3 guys who got into a fight and attacked the cop as well. My daughter had video. She says it's pretty tense around there this week.

I was thinking of keeping her home, just in case. Is anyone else who has kids on the Taft campus keeping them home? Have to say, I really wish the school would have sent out a recording or something. Hate hearing this from my kid and then SA.com. There's now info about it on Taft's web page at least.

I haven't heard any of this.
If it were my kid, I would keep her home. But I'm funny like that.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:35 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Keep her home. I don't know anything about it, but to me it would not be worth the worry. I guess they are celebrating making the "most improved" public school list that was talked about in another thread.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:38 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
I would absolutely keep her home. Doesn't surprise me in the least that no one knows about this...NISD seems to think the gun issue is a non-issue.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:42 PM

Yeah, I'm going to keep her home. Always better to be safe than sorry. I remember Columbine too vividly. I can't even keep track of how many times Taft's had bomb threat and strangers on campus lockdowns and didn't even notify parents after the fact. Her and I both feel better now that the decision's made to keep her home. I really hope nothing happens for all of the kids' sakes.

Northside ISD investigates rumor of planned shooting

Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238

ETA: My daughter just texted me that Taft now has administrators and SAPD posted at every exit of the school.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 PM

31 posts, read 156,144 times
Something similar happened when I was in high school. The fact that everyone knew about it (including the police) meant that the shooters didn't show up for fear of getting caught.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:49 PM

It's scary enough sending your kids off to public school (or anywhere for that matter, even private school) on days when there isn't a threat. When there is a valid threat, nobody is going to convince me to send my kid to school. No way, no how.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:06 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Something has been done with the video documenting the fight between the students and a cop, right? If the district and/or police will not do anything, release it to the media. Seems the gov't around here is good at reacting; can't even spell proactive..

Old 04-15-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Something has been done with the video documenting the fight between the students and a cop, right? If the district and/or police will not do anything, release it to the media. Seems the gov't around here is good at reacting; can't even spell proactive..
Well, it's on You Tube so I guess it's out. I had just seen it on my daughter's phone yesterday with no sound. When she got home today I asked her about the video and she directed me here: YouTube - taft high beat down

It's hard to see (you think these kids would be better with their technology! ), but evidently, 2 NISD cops were walking towards the guy in the video and the guy punched one of the cops. Then both cops take him down. Not much more after that.

Note: The following is all from my daughter. She's a good girl but teenagers do exaggerate, so I want to make sure nobody thinks I received the following info from any "official" channels.

The video above was the second gang-related fight this week, I guess. The first one was a guy and a girl. Girl hits guy. Guy hits girl. NISD cop showed up. The girl ran and the cop arrested the guy. Then 2 guys in the crowd started fighting. One got arrested and thrown in the back of the car with the very first guy. An administrator had the other guy in a headlock and yet another guy ran up and started punching the guy in the headlock. The Administrator and a Mr. Franco then tackled the formerly head locked guy and his attacker. My daughter didn't see anymore after that.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:07 PM

I think it must be pretty common for them to start getting restless towards the end of the year. It was this time last year that my son got hit in the head with a rock walking home from middle school, and his buddy got dragged on the sidewalk. A week after that, 2 girls were fighting and there must have been 30 kids swarming around, all filming it.

Their parents need to put a little heat to their asses, but they won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: