Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:40 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacklandbound View Post
Hi there!

My husband was just relocated to the San Antonio area for work and we have been looking at several neighborhoods. We just spent the day viewing houses in the Stone Oak Area, Alamo Heights, & Terrell Heights. We fell in love with Alamo Heights, but it seems impossible to find a house for $300K or less in that area.

Terrell Heights seems to be more reasonable and has some of the traits we like (older homes, mature trees, etc.) but while many of the houses seem nice, we also noticed that there were many people that did not really keep up their front yards or houses. It still felt like a safe neighborhood, but I am wondering how real locals feel about the area...

Is it safe? Are their young families there (we have a 3 year old)? Is it more of an up and coming neighborhood? Are there any other good neighborhoods similar to Alamo Heights?

Thanks so much for any feedback!!

Terrell Heights[maje sure you are in the AHISD] is a wonderful neighborhood. Lots of kids, very safe and close to everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,732,179 times
There's also some nice houses in Northridge and Northwood area that are in Alamo Heights ISD, but are not as expensive as Alamo Heights proper

Old 05-21-2010, 07:03 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
There's also some nice houses in Northridge and Northwood area that are in Alamo Heights ISD, but are not as expensive as Alamo Heights proper
Both neighborhoods should also be looked at also. Terrell Heights is in the city of San Antonio city limits.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:06 AM

129 posts, read 399,666 times
Nice neighborhood, I lived on Bryn Mawr Dr. in Terrell Heights for 5 years with my wife and 2 small children, but moved 3 years ago to MN. Pluses: AHISD, but cheaper housing than Alamo Heights, lots of families with children, great location. Austin HWY by Terrell Heights used to have a lot of shady characters, but it is much improved - and continues to improve. We miss it a lot - especially the great food at Thousand Oaks Cafe on Austin HWY which was 1/2 block from our house.

Also - I would say it's an up and coming neighborhood, the property values - during the 5 years we lived there - increased about 50%. The number of junky looking yards the OP talked about decreased, and quite a few homes were improved/remodeled and flipped.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,011 times
Even if you aren't in AHISD in northwood you will be in NEISD Which is also a great school district, you get a bit more value in the neisd portions of the area than the Ahisd imho.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:31 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,572 times
SAISD has the Hawthorne Academy in the MV area that is reportedly good for pre-k to 8th.

Since AT&T moved, tuition has not been a problem at Alamo Heights. Once in, they will let the kids continue unless they are a problem.

There are also a number of private schools in and around Monte Vista. Keystone, St. Anthony's, and SA Academy meet most families needs.

Last edited by jwebtx; 05-21-2010 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,500 times
Terrell Heights is a great alternative to Alamo Heights. Less expensive, but with all the amenties and close proximity to downtown, Ft Sam, etc. I agree with ciJay ... the junkier yards are getting less and less, and the area will continue to appreciate in value. I'm a bit disappointed that the large apartment complex development on Austin Hwy appears to be stalled. I think when that goes in, things might shake up a bit (for the positive).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio