Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,545 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating to San Antonio to a company called Valero Energy. It is located on 1604 Loop and 10 and I think a town we might be interested in is "San Marcos". Does San Marcos possess the following qualities ?

- Better Schools
- Lower Crime Rates
- Is the Commute 45 minutes like Google says ?
- Are there Catholic Churches in this area
- Houses in 250 -350,000 price range

I know I am asking for a lot, but any help would be greatly appreciated !

(Stressed out Dad)

Thanks

Last edited by GA80071; 06-01-2010 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,834,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA80071 View Post
I may be relocating to San Antonio to a company called Valeros Energy. It is located on 1604 Loop and 10 and I think the town is "La Cantera"

Are there any suggestions on where to live close to San Antonio that has the following features:
- Better Schools
- Lower Crime Rates
- Commute of less than 30 minutes (if possible)
- Close to Catholic Churches

I know I am asking for a lot, but any help would be great !

(Stressed out Dad)

Thanks
If you would like some information regarding San Antonio, feel free to Direct Message me. Recently spent the better part of 3 years there before moving back to SoCal.

BTW- it's Valero....and La Cantera isn't it's own town...just an area of San Antonio.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 PM

18,141 posts, read 25,334,150 times
Quote:
I may be relocating to San Antonio to a company called Valeros Energy. It is located on 1604 Loop and 10 and I think the town is "La Cantera"

Are there any suggestions on where to live close to San Antonio that has the following features:
- Better Schools
- Lower Crime Rates

(Stressed out Dad)

Thanks
I live on the other side of the city,
but you should have no problem finding that.
I guarantee most people are going to tell you to look on the East side of I-10 and South of 1604 (Shavano Park area).

Now, finding a catholic church might be tough (for about 10 seconds )

Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 PM

271 posts, read 989,653 times
Catholic churches w/in area:
St. Matthew
St. Francis of Assisi
Our Lady of the Atonement

Old 06-01-2010, 08:21 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,014,072 times
Quote:

- Better Schools
- Lower Crime Rates

(Stressed out Dad)

Thanks
Relax, San Antonio is a laid-back and friendly place!

And you don't have to DM me about our 7+ years of living in SA, I am more than happy to give you the good news about the place in a post!

To start, the company is called Valero and it is indeed headquartered in the NW part of town where Loop 1604 and IH-10 West meet.

There is a shopping center across from 1604 called La Cantera, but it is not the name of a town. However, most folks in SA know where that is. Our Six Flags amusement park is also located there.

The great news is that there are a lot of great neighborhoods within a 20-30 minute drive from there (or even less) that meet your needs. You can go clockwise on 1604 into the Stone Oak area (which is one of the more pricier parts of town), or counterclockwise to the Helotes or even further to the Stone Oak areas of SA.

All of those areas have homes in your price range, relatively low crime rates, and two great school districts (NISD and NEISD). Plus, there are a number of Catholic churches to choose from. One of our favorites is Our Lady of the Guadalupe in Helotes, a beautiful stone church; but there are many to choose from.

So, to sum up, there's nothing to stress over. Valero is well known for being a great company to work for, you have plenty of communities to look at in your price range, the schools have great reputations, and the crime rates in that part of town are low!

If you do come here, find a good realtor and let him/her help you find the home of your dreams. I can suggest a great one if you're interested.

Otherwise, look forward to moving to San Antonio! With everything there is to do here, the friendly people that live here, a strong economy and our beautiful weather, it is one of the most popular destinations in the US!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-01-2010, 08:35 PM

191 posts, read 448,297 times
You can live in Sonoma Ranch(a 5 minute drive) and go to great schools.
San Marcos is far and the drive would be killer. You would be on 1604 and 35 in rush hour both ways.
I live very close to Valero and drive by there everyday on the way to work.
DM me if you like.
Beware buying a less expensive house(less than 275k) in this area. UTSA is close and you don't want to be around college kids.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,545,962 times
Ok the OP first thread said the town was San Marcos. The copied/quote instead refers to La Cantera??????

To the OP...There is a town called San Marcos but I think that would be quite a commute each day to make. The advice of areas to look for along 1604 that others provided will be helpful. Lots of Catholic Churches and many many great schools!! Welcome to San Antonio!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,545,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcavazos View Post
You can live in Sonoma Ranch(a 5 minute drive) and go to great schools.
San Marcos is far and the drive would be killer. You would be on 1604 and 35 in rush hour both ways.
I live very close to Valero and drive by there everyday on the way to work.
DM me if you like.
Beware buying a less expensive house(less than 275k) in this area. UTSA is close and you don't want to be around college kids.

So college kids are buying $200k homes????

Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,856,248 times
You've got a number of great communities to look at - Boerne, Grey Forest, Helotes and perhaps even New Braunfels (although I think the commute in traffic would negate it, and it's even closer than San Marcos).
As others have said - we're happy to tell you whatever you'd like to know, no need to DM us. Moderator cut: off-topic/personal

What part of the country will you be coming from? I think you'll find homes here to be quite affordable compared to many other parts of the country!

Last edited by Bo; 06-01-2010 at 10:03 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,623,625 times
No need to stress, Dad! San Antonio's a great place to live and by all accounts, Valero is a great company.

I have no advice as that isn't my area of town, but... Best of luck on the move and welcome you to San Antonio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio