Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:34 PM

38 posts, read 123,030 times

Advertisements

I used to live there back in '05, corner of bellflower and villa. I know this post is going to create a lot of answered of "Oh Adelanto is the whatever of the desert"

I appreciate any kind of feedback, but.....

I would like to get responses from people that live there. I never had any problems when I lived there, I grew up in East L.A. later moved to Norwalk (the one ways) I learn that you keep to yourself and you'll be fine. Now in Houston Tx, thinking about going back to the desert. I see that house prices are less that half what they used to be.

We sold our house in '05, it sold in 2 weeks after being listed, for 335k. Now is prolly 150? feel sorry for those people. We saw all this mess coming, sold took our money and left. when your house makes almost 100k in equity while being build U know a crash is coming.

I know there is crime wherever you go, but how are things lately in south Adelanto (new adelanto). for the people that live there....Do you feel unsafe walking out your front door, any home break ins.

An offer for a promotion/transfer with my husbands work is coming up, he would be traveling down the hill but can adjust schedule as to avoid most of the traffic, also able to wrk from home occasionally. I wrk from home as an over the phone interpreter.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Jaz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 AM

Any adelanteans out there? lol

ok easier, how is the high desert doing lately. Visiting next week to go check things out for myself.

Any areas worth taking a look? After I have a hamburger and shake from Baker's of course.

Hope you all are having a great weekend!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 12:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
Hesperia is nice - in fact, have I got a deal for you!!! I have a house in Hesperia I want to sell! Newer construction, 4 or 5 brm, 3 bath. I'll sell it cheap!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:17 PM

503 posts, read 1,455,393 times
Hi jzntx. I guess it depends on your perspective, where you live now. We are moving away from Adelanto. It is getting even more ghetto than it was before.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Hi twinkle toes! You need to link everybody!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:54 PM

76 posts, read 400,206 times
I wld just wonder why move back to the high desert if you dh is driving working down the hill, there are so many town down here that are back in the reasonable price range again.

Last place I was in the high desert was Apple Valley a few months ago. I lived there last 5 year go but we have friends that still do and visit sometimes. The housing market has been hit hard like everywhere else in that area but they have a lot of retail development compared to what it use to be. Could be a place to look if you just want a more country/rural feel but it is a long commute down the hill.

I use to teach in Adelanto for what its worth and I loved my students but I am not sure I ever would have bought there myself.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 PM

113 posts, read 427,859 times
no need to up the hill, look in fontana, there are homes starting at 100k

Old 03-09-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrose34 View Post
Hi jzntx. I guess it depends on your perspective, where you live now. We are moving away from Adelanto. It is getting even more ghetto than it was before.
Hello, thanks for your response. Could you provide samples of what you mean by "Ghetto". I think a big percentage of southern california is "ghetto" and I'm a native.

I get a kick when people here in Houston say Ohh you are from California, is so beautiful. I tell my husband Obviously The have not seen the real california.

I think Adelanto has always been that way, You don't move to Adelanto because is nice, or the conveniences, At least when we moved there is was because that's all we could afford. Where I come from there is shootings and Helicopters overhead every weekend,That is ghetto

To the person that had mentioned houses in Fontana for 100k, where is that at!! I have seen houses in the low 100k's but they are tiny houses, as in less than 1000sqf. I currently live in a 2000+ sqf home, before that is was 1800+ there is only 2 of us and a little dog, I would feel trapped in a tiny house like that. Plus were would my husband hide when I'm pmsing, lol

Being close to shopping conveniences is not such a big deal for us, nor are school ratings. We are in our early 30's, no children not planning on having any soon either. We like to stay home, go online, watch movies, barbeque, we also like road trips, getting in the car driving places we've never been to. I hate going to the mall, I order almost everything online and my idea of grocery shopping means going to costco or sam's dropping a few hundred dllrs and have everything I need for the whole month. I rather spend my weekends with my husband, sightseen, reading a book, going to church.

My husband might only have to travel down the hill a couple of times a week, if he gets assigned to manage North san bernardino county district. That would be sweet, praying on it.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzntx View Post
Hello, thanks for your response. Could you provide samples of what you mean by "Ghetto". I think a big percentage of southern california is "ghetto" and I'm a native.

I get a kick when people here in Houston say Ohh you are from California, is so beautiful. I tell my husband Obviously The have not seen the real california.

I think Adelanto has always been that way, You don't move to Adelanto because is nice, or the conveniences, At least when we moved there is was because that's all we could afford. Where I come from there is shootings and Helicopters overhead every weekend,That is ghetto

To the person that had mentioned houses in Fontana for 100k, where is that at!! I have seen houses in the low 100k's but they are tiny houses, as in less than 1000sqf. I currently live in a 2000+ sqf home, before that is was 1800+ there is only 2 of us and a little dog, I would feel trapped in a tiny house like that. Plus were would my husband hide when I'm pmsing, lol

Being close to shopping conveniences is not such a big deal for us, nor are school ratings. We are in our early 30's, no children not planning on having any soon either. We like to stay home, go online, watch movies, barbeque, we also like road trips, getting in the car driving places we've never been to. I hate going to the mall, I order almost everything online and my idea of grocery shopping means going to costco or sam's dropping a few hundred dllrs and have everything I need for the whole month. I rather spend my weekends with my husband, sightseen, reading a book, going to church.

My husband might only have to travel down the hill a couple of times a week, if he gets assigned to manage North san bernardino county district. That would be sweet, praying on it.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Good morning jzntx.

Quote:
I think Adelanto has always been that way, You don't move to Adelanto because is nice, or the conveniences, At least when we moved there is was because that's all we could afford.
lol Yep. That is Adelanto for you. That is why I said it is even more ghetto then before. haha It was all we could afford when we came up here to rent 7 years ago.

Quote:
Where I come from there is shootings and Helicopters overhead every weekend,That is ghetto
Sorry to hear that. That is exactly why I said it depends on where you are coming from. When we moved up here it was from Highland, Ca(San Bernardino) and it was so much nicer compared to down the hill. Even now I would think it was probably nicer then where we moved from.

Here is a link to a previous post of mine that some other people have found helpful:

link

Go to city datas main page and do a search for the crime rates for the towns up here. Victorville was clocked at being more violent than Los Angeles! The times are changing. Adelantos stats weren't much better.

I also think with this huge housing mess and all the foreclosures and empty homes and all the section 8's Victorville AND Adelanto will be getting a whole lot worse.

There are some decent areas in Apple Valley and Hesperia still(I hear).

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
You sound like a neighbour I would love to have! We love bbqing, road trips to the beach or Silverwood, Costco is my fav place to shop at and I don't mind living a bit out of the way either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties