Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,548 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Murrieta area in a couple of months. My husband will be working in Murrieta and we are trying to determine where to live. We’ve heard good things about Murrieta and Temecula but I would love to live closer to the coast/beach. However, we’ve heard mixed reviews on Oceanside, Carlsbad and Encinitas and my husband is concerned about the commute from the coast into Murrieta.

Does anyone have advice on Murrieta/Temecula vs. the beach towns? Any advice on safe, nice beach towns that are a decent commute from Murrieta.

Thank you in advance for your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:13 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times
I think the commute from the coast wouldn't be too bad since it would be a reverse commute. You might even be able to get away with living in Orange County if you wanted to.

Murrieta is boring.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,548 times
Thanks so much! Are there any areas on the coast you would recommend looking at or staying away from?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swhetstine View Post
My husband will be working in Murrieta and we are trying to determine where to live.
I'll chime in with the #1 dictum of Southern California living: "The key to sanity is living as close to your place of employment as possible."

Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
I live in Murrieta and I disagree with commuting to Murrieta. It is a very long commute from Oceanside which is the closest beach city/town by freeway. It is 42 miles by freeway or 37 miles by freeway/local road. That to me is a long commute especially with gas at $3.70+. Any other beach town/city would be impossible.

You have to consider climate, schools, cost of living, crime, etc.

Oceanside is much more expensive. The cost of housing is much higher in Oceanside than the statistics indicate because homes in Murrieta are much larger and newer. Other beach/towns.cities have a higher cost than Oceanside.

Murrieta has better schools, lower crime, and is much more attractive.

Climate depends what type you want. Oceanside is cooler, damper, with a lot of fog.

Murrieta is in the Temecula Valley ( famous for its wineries ). The metro population is approximately 350,000. Murrieta adjoins the city of Temecula which is very similar. I look at it as really being one city as they are so much alike.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:27 PM

50 posts, read 134,113 times
We have relatives that live in San Clemente. Since Camp Pendleton takes up a big strip of the coast, your nearest beach towns to Murrieta are Oceanside and San Clemente. Getting to the coast is a pain, even if it is a reverse commute. I would either live in Temecula/Murrieta or look for a job near the 5 fwy if near beach living is what you really want. Pluses to Temecula/Murrieta is cheap housing right now as prices are off significantly from their peak. The beach towns I mentioned are off their peaks too, but have not fallen as hard and might have room to fall more if the CA economy does not pick up. I would definitely pick Temecula over Oceanside. San Clemente is a nice town but about an hour from Murrieta. Oceanside does not beat Temecula/Murrieta for schools and crime. San Clemente probably does. Happy house hunting.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:30 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
San Clemente is very nice but VERY expensive. The median cost of a home in San Clemente is $600,000. It would also be a terrible commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties