Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 01:35 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I disagree, it would depend on the specifics of the case. The judge is absolutely allowed to dismiss people who they feel are biased for/against a certain side. The lawyers are allowed to dismiss a certain number of jurors without cause (i.e., for essentially any reason.) If the plaintiff and defendent in the case are both white and heterosexual than claiming you are biased against black, latino, gay etc. wouldn't necessarily get you dismissed.

Jury Selection in Criminal Cases | Nolo.com

Was in the jury pool for a civil case. A guy who had been called up for questioning was trying every angle possible to get out of jury duty and the judge wasn't buying it. Then the guy said that he'd been involved in a half-dozen civil cases and lost them all, and felt that civil judges were "biased" against him. The judge asked if he'd been the judge of any of these cases and the guy said no, but that he felt all civil case judges were biased against him. Finally, with more than a bit of exasperation, the judge pointed at the calendar up on the wall and said "Pick a Monday". The guy just sat there silent, and the judge repeated "Pick a Monday". The guy then claimed he had meetings he couldn't get out of *every* Monday. The judge repeated, sternly this time, "Pick a Monday". The guy stammered and stuttered and finally picked a Monday about a month ahead. The judge said "Fine. Since you feel you can't be fair in a civil case, you're hereby commanded to report to criminal court in Indio on the date you just selected, to be in the jury pool for a criminal case." Back in the rows of seats, we were impressed with the judge, because by this time, the guy had basically proven himself to be a total jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 01:35 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Since you feel you can't be fair in a civil case, you're hereby commanded to report to criminal court in Indio on the date you just selected, to be in the jury pool for a criminal case." Back in the rows of seats, we were impressed with the judge, because by this time, the guy had basically proven himself to be a total jerk.
In my case we went through 80-90 people to get down to 13. The judge let about half of them off, many for financial hardship claims. The rest were tossed off by the lawyers. Nobody wanted to be there so there were tons of excuses being thrown out and many requested private "sidebars" with the judge. I kind of feel like a sucker since I didn't go to those lengths. Several people on my jury weren't being paid by their employer during the case. That's almost two weeks of no pay. That's like taking a 4% pay cut for the year. This was my second jury, and I'm going to make sure I get kicked off the case next time.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,471 times
I would call them rightnow and explain I did not receive any one and ask them what is it all about... ( make fool your self, lol) and you will see, they will give you chance to serve as a jury....that is all they want...Courts needs people to participate on the juries, you know...to carry with the responsability on condemning or saving to peoples that has broked up the "Law"...good luck, lol.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:54 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Like I said previously, the notices weren't ignored...they weren't read or received by me. That could mean they were presumed to be junk mail and thrown away or simply weren't delivered by USPS...either way, you decide to believe what you'd like but if you'll try to hold me in contempt you better be prepared to prove that I read your notice...pretty standard stuff really.
Funny thing is; this latest notice was sent with a certificate of mailing signed / witnessed by a Deputy Clerk. That kinda serves as an admission by the court that that is how critical documents should be sent.
You gotta love these morons on a power trip that can't get out of their own way...LOL

I'm considering hiring an aggressive minded attorney I know in a neighboring county to accompany me to this hearing just to make the court feel like the idiots they are. I'd like him to threaten to file a class action case against the court for costing all these people a day off work and causing potential hardship.
This is easily avoided by sending the initial summons certified mail...sensible? Not if you're a puppet or "government" minded.
Any attorney who will threaten a class action case against a court for jury service is not worth a penny. And your story suggests that you received the notices and threw them away, and intend to lie to the court to say that you never received it.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:37 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
Quote:
I made a payment to the IRS postmarked before April 15th they claimed they never received it and charged me interest and penalties...I called them, the first thing they said was I had to prove that it was sent; the agent even asked me why I didn't send it certified or with tracking. They said the burden to prove falls on me...THE SENDER.
I'll venture to guess that if I would have said; "but I sent it twice, you mean to tell me you didn't receive either envelope...come on?" they'd have said: "prove twice that you sent it twice."

Am I missing something here? We all know how this works...can they really play by a different set of rules and standards just because they want to?
Something similar like this happened to me but it was the DMV and not the IRS.

I mailed out my VW's registration payment one day before the due date. I personally walked into my local P.O. and delivered the envelope with payment and slip to the P.O.'s outgoing mail slot around NOON. About two weeks later I received a letter from the CA DMV stating that I didn't pay my registration on time and that I had to pay a penalty before I could receive my registration and tags. I paid the penalty that same hour and I finally received my tags about three weeks later. I couldn't prove that the P.O. screwed up so there was nothing I could do.

Lesson learned: pay your car's registration one month in advance!

Old 04-27-2016, 09:18 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,361 times
Why in the world would you MAIL a payment to the DMV a single day before the due date? That's just insane. Do you know how long it takes for (a) the Postal "Service" to work and (b) how long it takes DMV to open and process all those envelopes?!?

It would have been far easier to just go to a DMV office or pay on-line.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
I made a payment to the IRS postmarked before April 15th they claimed they never received it and charged me interest and penalties...I called them, the first thing they said was I had to prove that it was sent; the agent even asked me why I didn't send it certified or with tracking. They said the burden to prove falls on me...THE SENDER.
I'll venture to guess that if I would have said; "but I sent it twice, you mean to tell me you didn't receive either envelope...come on?" they'd have said: "prove twice that you sent it twice."

Am I missing something here? We all know how this works...can they really play by a different set of rules and standards just because they want to?
I send everything to the IRS certified.
There are certain letters you don't want to 'go missing.'

Old 04-28-2016, 04:05 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
Why in the world would you MAIL a payment to the DMV a single day before the due date? That's just insane. Do you know how long it takes for (a) the Postal "Service" to work and (b) how long it takes DMV to open and process all those envelopes?!?

Maybe some people don't have the time. Maybe the postmark's good enough.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Maybe some people don't have the time. Maybe the postmark's good enough.
Maybe if your mother had been a man she would have been your father.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:

Now, now, let's not bring common sense and responsibility into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties