Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2017, 11:57 PM

113 posts, read 257,443 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a 1 bedroom condo around Corona area. My budget is less than $200k and I found 3 properties at 3 different locations. Check out this map to see the three areas.

My question:

• Most important is safety. Are these all safe areas? I really value a walkable neighborhood (I jog daily in morning AND afternoon). I care more about walking in parks and tree-lined streets than walking to malls/shopping.
  • Are these areas getting better or getting worse in terms of safety and ability to attract high class residents
  • If everything is equal in terms of safety, which area would you pick for yourself?

Some notes on the areas.

Area 1

Community is called Winwood Condominiums. It's just south of Brentwood Park. Nearest cross street is Chalgrove Dr. and Border Ave.

It looks great on Google Maps. But there's a 2001 review online of that area saying it is infested with gangs and drugs. But that's like 16 years ago so I was wondering if things are drastically different now.

The Border Lake looks awesome, but is that accessible to the public? Is it actually nice or just a smelly body of water that breeds disease?

Area 2

Right behind the shopping center near McKinley St and South Promenade.

It is pretty close to the freeway. But it is close to some very nice stores like 99 Ranch and Costco. Google Maps view looks amazing. It looks beautiful neighborhood.

Area 3

This one is right next to the Tyler Galleria Mall. I've heard this is the biggest mall in Riverside, and it does have some great restaurants/stores. But I've also heard parking is a nightmare and people wish there was somewhere better to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 07:36 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,489 times
I've focused most of my research on your "Area 2" for my next move (looking for better pay and lower rent coming from San Fernando Valley). But looking around your Area 1 around Border Lake, I kind of like that area too and it's closer to the OC. I'm wondering if it gets better air over there? Does anything come through that Santa Ana River pass or is that just where the OC pollution blows in? At least I'd be a few miles closer to Disneyland and the Angels games.

Area 1 looks nice but also quieter and very very residential. Area 2 has better shopping but is also a heavy traffic area and the apartment ratings around there indicate a lot of car break-ins (even though they are newer apartments in a newer area).

Area 3 doesn't appeal to me, but it might appeal to you!

Old 11-12-2017, 09:42 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Area 1 is in a "nice" area, but it is in very close proximity to areas that are not (Coronita; a trailer park).

Area 2 is standard middle-class suburban. Some of the complexes there have problems, however. The Crossing was notorious back in the day, as was The Ashton.

Area 3 is a sea of complexes, with none of them standing out as particularly nice. I would only live here if it was all I could afford.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:58 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
I would choose either Area 1 or 2. I am less familiar with area 1, though I can say that the further south (up the hill) the better. There is a lot of traffic in area 2, though it is convenient. I would not live in area 3.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:26 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,489 times
I am noticing that a lot of the complexes in both areas 1 and 2 seem to have exceptionally low ratings (Area 1 is a little higher). Area 2 indicates a lot of noise and break-ins plus poorly run complexes. Where I'm currently living in Woodland Hills (west SFV), the complex has a 4.3 where a lot of the corona ones have low 2's. Some of these are likely due to the price increases (I noticed a few people left reviews saying that the apartments rejected them because their criminal records weren't spotless. When rents go up, they typically get more selective about tenants and have more applicants.).

What about the Dos Lagos area south of Cajalco Road down the 15? They are newer and rated higher, but I'm betting that 15 traffic heading north in the morning would get old very quickly and there aren't too many good alternatives to it. It looks like a nice area to walk to movies, shops, restaurants. They need a good back road on the east side of the 15 up to the 91.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:12 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I am noticing that a lot of the complexes in both areas 1 and 2 seem to have exceptionally low ratings (Area 1 is a little higher). Area 2 indicates a lot of noise and break-ins plus poorly run complexes. Where I'm currently living in Woodland Hills (west SFV), the complex has a 4.3 where a lot of the corona ones have low 2's. Some of these are likely due to the price increases (I noticed a few people left reviews saying that the apartments rejected them because their criminal records weren't spotless. When rents go up, they typically get more selective about tenants and have more applicants.).

What about the Dos Lagos area south of Cajalco Road down the 15? They are newer and rated higher, but I'm betting that 15 traffic heading north in the morning would get old very quickly and there aren't too many good alternatives to it. It looks like a nice area to walk to movies, shops, restaurants. They need a good back road on the east side of the 15 up to the 91.
The 91 will need double the lanes it has now. The back end of the traffic going westbound gets further and further east each year. One could take Cajalco to La Sierra and pick up the 91 from there, but I doubt it would save any time.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:30 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
It depends which way the OP needs to drive and when. Going north past Cajalco gets very crowded during rush hour in the morning and on the weekends. If the OP needs to head west on the 91 in morning rush hour, then the drive gets more difficult. There are street alternatives but how much time is saved is questionable. But South Corona is a reasonable area to live otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties