Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 08:28 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times

Advertisements

People always idealize Southern California weather, but would they really see it as ideal if they knew about Santa Ana winds?

I mean, who finds winds with 80 mile per hour gusts and single digit humidity comfortable? Allergies, migraines, cracked skin, nosebleeds, dandruff, trash blowing around the streets, trees and powerlines knocked down... Not to mention it fans massive wildfires and blows all the smoke, creating poor air quality. Not to mention 85-90 degree heat in December! And I live on the other side of Lake Elsinore, over in Trabuco Canyon, where these winds have happened any time from September to April--two-thirds of the year. I can't imagine how much more frequent and long-lasting Santa Ana wind episodes must be on the other side of the Santa Ana mountains, over in the Inland Empire.

Having spent two months in New Orleans in the summer, I will gladly take the Gulf Coast heat and humidity over these Santa Ana winds any day, by a mile!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 08:48 AM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
You've mentioned Santa Ana winds and your preference for New Orleans in the summer over and over again. We get it. If you're trying to discourage more people from moving to SoCal, I'm all for it, but by posting in the San Bernardino/Riverside forum, you're preaching to the choir. Everyone there already knows that inland SoCal is hotter, drier, and windier than the coast.

I don't care that much for the Santa Ana winds either, but it's mainly because of the wildfire risk and because my potted plants dry out. Otherwise, it's kind of nice to have wind blow all the trash away and clear the air. The air is never so clean and clear as right after the winds die down.

And while Santa Ana winds CAN occur almost any time, my experience is that here in OC, there might be three or four episodes per year, with a typical episode lasting 2-4 days, mostly October--December. Not constantly, week after week, from September through April!

For the record, I live less than two miles from the OP, so he and I are experiencing the same weather. Yes, it's windier in the inland desert areas. That's why they have all those windmills out in the Coachella Valley.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:54 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,131,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You've mentioned Santa Ana winds and your preference for New Orleans in the summer over and over again. We get it. If you're trying to discourage more people from moving to SoCal, I'm all for it, but by posting in the San Bernardino/Riverside forum, you're preaching to the choir. Everyone there already knows that inland SoCal is hotter, drier, and windier than the coast.

I don't care that much for the Santa Ana winds either, but it's mainly because of the wildfire risk and because my potted plants dry out. Otherwise, it's kind of nice to have wind blow all the trash away and clear the air. The air is never so clean and clear as right after the winds die down.

And while Santa Ana winds CAN occur almost any time, my experience is that here in OC, there might be three or four episodes per year, with a typical episode lasting 2-4 days, mostly October--December. Not constantly, week after week, from September through April!

For the record, I live less than two miles from the OP, so he and I are experiencing the same weather. Yes, it's windier in the inland desert areas. That's why they have all those windmills out in the Coachella Valley.
That's right.

More specifically, out in DHS, North Palm Springs, and Whitewater are where we have all those wind turbines out in the CV. Some in Cabazon, too, next to Banning (both of which are not in the CV).

Don't remember if I have ever personally experienced Santa Ana winds before, but, yes, you'd be correct.

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 05-17-2018 at 02:11 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 02:20 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
People always idealize Southern California weather, but would they really see it as ideal if they knew about Santa Ana winds?

I mean, who finds winds with 80 mile per hour gusts and single digit humidity comfortable? Allergies, migraines, cracked skin, nosebleeds, dandruff, trash blowing around the streets, trees and powerlines knocked down... Not to mention it fans massive wildfires and blows all the smoke, creating poor air quality. Not to mention 85-90 degree heat in December! And I live on the other side of Lake Elsinore, over in Trabuco Canyon, where these winds have happened any time from September to April--two-thirds of the year. I can't imagine how much more frequent and long-lasting Santa Ana wind episodes must be on the other side of the Santa Ana mountains, over in the Inland Empire.

Having spent two months in New Orleans in the summer, I will gladly take the Gulf Coast heat and humidity over these Santa Ana winds any day, by a mile!
Please don't exaggerate. The Santa Ana winds only occur a couple times a month for a two to three days at a time, and not even every month. They can get strong but they also blow away the smog...the air is clearer during these episodes.

Not only that, there are varying intensities. The "80 mph" winds you talk about only occur a few times a year and only in certain areas.

I live in the IE...and I've lived in the Santa Ana canyon. So yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

The winds in the Cabezon area aren't always Santa Anas. Often they are strong marine winds coming off the ocean. In fact, I just experienced that this past weekend, they are much cooler than Santa Anas.

If you like the weather in New Orleans better, then be my guest and go back!

Last edited by Vic Romano; 05-17-2018 at 02:31 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 02:55 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
No, MrJester is right. SoCal sucks because the Santa Anas blow in all four directions, and shift from 15MPH to 85MPH at the drop of a sandwich tie.

Oh, wait..

Old 05-18-2018, 03:37 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
I lived in Riverside for fifteen years. The wind just got to be what you'd expect for your average afternoon. When I moved here to Oklahoma, everyone said you'll really notice the wind. I said maybe not. Riverside wind blows in big swarms of wind while Ok gets really strong bursts followed by lesser ones so you never really know when its done. Then the storm winds sneek in and you make sure anything which can blow away outside should be anchored.

Where I live we've had only one tornado in our area for ten years, but this isn't a bad area for them. But when we get the really strong straight winds, tie down things that blow. I think that since I was so used to wind from Riverside that it always seems to be windy here didn't seem unusual.

I follow storm reports even if its not something your familiar smiling weather man seems to be concerned about. Just in case....

Old 05-19-2018, 10:26 PM

67 posts, read 80,418 times
Santa Ana winds are a minor inconvenience and certainly not the worst part of SoCal weather. Allergies? Spend a spring in the southeast and you’ll see what allergies really are.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:53 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2112 View Post
Santa Ana winds are a minor inconvenience and certainly not the worst part of SoCal weather. Allergies? Spend a spring in the southeast and you’ll see what allergies really are.
I don't know about spring in the Southeast, but I'll gladly take Gulf Coast heat and humidity over Santa Ana winds any day.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:39 AM

390 posts, read 389,441 times
Quote:

I didn't mind the winds. I just don't like the heat and bone dry weather because I get ashy and itchy. Other than that the weather is nice just boring

Old 05-21-2018, 11:04 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
I don't know about spring in the Southeast, but I'll gladly take Gulf Coast heat and humidity over Santa Ana winds any day.
Did you live in Cabazon or something? Unless you lived right in the path of the Santa Anas, you don't have much to complain of.

Rampant humidity stinks. I hope a tropical storm or hurricane doesn't wash you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties