Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 9,876 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Washington State; retiring in 6 months; want to retire in Southern California.
Will be able to comfortably buy home outright up to $ 600,000.
Love to spend time at Disneyland. Avid sports fan, would like to partake in seeing pro football, baseball and basketball games. Where would be best safe place to live in single story house with pool in backyard?
I won't have to work, so I won't have to drive during morning and afternoon commute times.
I would like to live within 45 minute commute to Disneyland (non commute hour time).
What cities should I consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 08:49 AM

1,001 posts, read 788,917 times
The Whittier area is not to pricy and still in LA county. Close to Disneyland the beach and mountains.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:01 AM

14,319 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
The Whittier area is not to pricey and still in LA county. Close to Disneyland the beach and mountains.
Yes, or the adjacent western side of La Habra (Orange County). I grew up there. Lots of single-story houses with pools, and we could hear the Disneyland fireworks at night.

It's not necessary to look as far out as San Bernardino/Riverside counties to find what you are looking for, although a max of $600k for a SFR with pool will limit your options.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
I have lived in Corona West, off Green River Rod, now for 6 months.

It's ok here but it's not for me. I miss OC a lot. You have to factor in traffic all the time since the freeway get you to other parts of Corona, very urban sprawl, very bad off the 15 south where all the shops and restaurants are.

I am as close to OC as you can get but it's the old part of town so if you like Jack in the box and Ihop you might be alright otherwise you will be grinding in heavy traffic to get to the shops and restaurants off the 15.

Corona to me is kinda like a C grade version of Irvine with Whites and Hispanics compared to Asians and Middle Eastern folks.

Quality is lacking people tolerate more, but the people are nicer than OC.

Hope that helps a bit.

Corona the C stands for C grade IMO.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:19 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Corona is starting to have more crime problems some poor kid was stabbed about a week ago on the way to school, you can google it.

Stay away from Home Gardens high crime and El Cerrito more crime working class Hispanic hood.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:25 AM

593 posts, read 1,795,740 times
I used to live in La Mirada and loved it...Look into Fullerton, Placentia, Brea, Los Alamitos, Chino Hills...

Old 12-06-2019, 11:26 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,895 times
The OP stated $600k was their limit.

If you're at retirement age, it's best not to push to the roof of that limit. The property taxes on a $600k home are going to be a force to be reckoned with! Ask yourself, do you want to contend with property taxes that high in your retirement years?

So, just because one's limit is $600k doesn't mean that they should hit that absolute limit.

All of these posters are telling OP to look at Orange County, although I don't understand the need to be in Orange County, personally?

OP is retired, not working. They want to enjoy leisure activities, so driving to them will be for pleasure, not necessity.

With that in mind, Corona is just fine!

Another place to look into would be Eastvale, which is a brand-new community north of Corona. It's very safe.

If OP is willing to live further into the Inland Empire, then Menifee and Murrieta/Temecula are options too. You can get something decent for $450--$500k in those areas and not hit your limit.

OP, don't let people push you into having to be in Orange County. Live within your limit, or even under it, and enjoy life. Don't become a victim of "Keep Up With the Jones' " in your retirement years.

That's too dangerous a game for anyone, let alone a retiree!

Old 12-06-2019, 01:09 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,971,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
The OP stated $600k was their limit.

If you're at retirement age, it's best not to push to the roof of that limit. The property taxes on a $600k home are going to be a force to be reckoned with! Ask yourself, do you want to contend with property taxes that high in your retirement years?

So, just because one's limit is $600k doesn't mean that they should hit that absolute limit.

All of these posters are telling OP to look at Orange County, although I don't understand the need to be in Orange County, personally?

OP is retired, not working. They want to enjoy leisure activities, so driving to them will be for pleasure, not necessity.

With that in mind, Corona is just fine!

Another place to look into would be Eastvale, which is a brand-new community north of Corona. It's very safe.

If OP is willing to live further into the Inland Empire, then Menifee and Murrieta/Temecula are options too. You can get something decent for $450--$500k in those areas and not hit your limit.

OP, don't let people push you into having to be in Orange County. Live within your limit, or even under it, and enjoy life. Don't become a victim of "Keep Up With the Jones' " in your retirement years.

That's too dangerous a game for anyone, let alone a retiree!
Ditto what kttam said!!

For that matter, OP could choose to live in North Fontana or further up into the high desert and reduce his/ her home acquisition and the recurring annual property tax significantly to below $400K.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:34 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Ditto what kttam said!!

For that matter, OP could choose to live in North Fontana or further up into the high desert and reduce his/ her home acquisition and the recurring annual property tax significantly to below $400K.

North Fontana, Chino Hills, Ontario Ranch, Rosena Ranch...yes! They're further out from Anaheim, but if one is just going to Anaheim for pleasure, then it shouldn't matter.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:11 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,014,088 times
Go with Norco not Corona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties