Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 50,718 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My partner got a job at CSUSB so we are moving to the San Bernardino area later this summer. We are East Coasters, and frankly, don't know much about the Inland Empire, and need all the advice we can get. We would like to rent an apartment that is: no more than a 20 mins drive to CSUSB; and in an area that is walkable and safe and affordable (~$1000 for a 2br/1ba). Any suggestions on locations and/or apartment complexes (or places for us to avoid!) are welcomed!

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 08:00 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,307,468 times
You may want to go to Devore which is within reach of CSUSB by that time span. You may also want to go to Victorville/Apple Valley up the hill. It would be over the time span, but maybe worth it.

Redlands may be nice and more easily accessible via the 30 loop. Loma Linda may be good too. Either one may cost you more than the price you are looking for. Reche Canyon in Colton would be a suggestion too. I would avoid other parts of Colton, Rialto, Fontana, and most of San Berdoo. The area around the U would be good too, but that's pick and grab. Further north by the little league fields may be better.

Time and distance really become irrelevant in CA, particularly when it comes to pleasant living and removing oneself from malevolent neighborhoods. Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:53 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,150 times
In Redlands try Redlands Lawn and Tennis and most apts. in the same area. Grand Terrace has a complex over looking the freeway (I forget what they're called) Everything Kin A stated earlier is advice which you should follow.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:43 AM

71 posts, read 309,626 times
The two above definetely know what their talking about.

Whew... Now I dont have to type it up.

Good Luck!

Old 05-02-2008, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 75,861 times
There are a lot of apartment complexes right by the university that are easily within walking distance and that should be within your price range. That area is growing fast and is safer/prettier than other parts of San B. Of course, Redlands and Loma Linda are much nicer, but they are farther away.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:33 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,307,468 times
Honestly Dary, it really is pick and chose. Newer places going up are better than old, and you can go awry pretty quickly within a block or two from the U. If you can give specific names of places it may be better than saying within walkng distance from the U. I would imagine these people want to land gently, not with a bang. Alternately, if the OP has particular addresses or street coordinates in mind for safe living, send them in.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:10 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Actually the apartments closest to the university are safe. The area is a relatively nice area. Plus it's within walking distance so you will save on gas.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:49 PM

That's what I was thinking of....there are a ton of apartments directly across from the university on the corner of University and Northpark and more heading east down Northpark. There are also more apartments on the corner of Kendall and University...all within a few blocks of the university. (Sorry I don't know the names of any that I'd specifically recommend, but my sister was looking last year and they all seemed very similar with basically the same amenities/prices as each other)

Old 05-03-2008, 10:46 PM

8 posts, read 50,718 times
Thanks all.

So far, I've deduced that the following areas are OK:
-- San Berdu, near CSUSB
-- Redlands
-- Loma Linda (although this is a 7th Day Adventist town?)
-- Rancho Cucamonga

What about parts of Riverside? Grand Terrace? Highland? Upland

We are not into shopping, but would like an apartment within walking distance to: a coffee shop, a gym, a Blockbusters, and a wine store (are we dreaming?!)!

Also, which areas have the better air quality (I understand it's pretty dang bad out there).

After some time, we'll likely buy a house out there. My partner wants a bungalow. Which towns have these? And what are the price ranges for a 3 bedroom/2ba in a decent neighborhood?

Please keep those suggestions coming!!!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 AM

Well, I can't answer all of your questions, but, yes, the smog is really bad out here. I would think that anywhere you move in the IE is going to be about the same as far as air quality. In the winter it's better and you can actually see the mountains, but the summers are pretty bad and the sky is white (sorry!). The area around the University can get pretty windy at times, though, so maybe it's better up there???? Redlands and Loma Linda are generally nice and I don't think you'd have any problems with 7th day adventists in Loma Linda. As far as your wish list for stores within walking distance, I would say to stay close to downtown Redlands as they have tons of really quaint stores and is very cute and walker friendly. Although I'm not sure where apartments are there or what price they might be (they might be up there). The area right around the university is growing and little stores are popping up, but I don't think you'll be able to find everything you want right there, but it would still be generally nice. It does have more of a "college" feel than downtown Redlands which is much more "charming", though. I also have friends who live in Upland and they really like it as it's nicer, cleaner, prettier than San Bernardino, but it's a ways from the University and would take at least 30 minutes and that's barring any traffic (which can be bad). East Highland is nice, say off the 30 freeway and Foothill and is growing pretty fast. That might be a nicer area to try to buy in that probably wouldn't be as expensive as Redlands/Loma Linda. Sorry, but I don't know about bungalows or housing prices there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties