Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,930 times

Advertisements

my husband grew up in sunnymead ranch on the hill when he was young for a few years before moving to la. i have never lived anywhere but the beach cities. his father owns the house and is willing to let us live there rent free for a year to save and by a home. we have a three year old boy and a five year old boy. i have heard sooooooooo much with riverside county that i am afraid to make the wrong choice. we did drive out there a few months ago and it was hard to tell about the area. people seemed nice but i didnt get a chance to check out the schools. my boys would be going to sugar hill elementary near the home. is this a good school? i need any information. please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,476 times
As far as I know Sunnymead is no longer.

Anyway, you'll be in for a big surprise if you've only lived at the beach when the heat is turned up.

Rent free? Can't beat that. People are people no matter where you live, it's all what you make it and if you get to know your neighbors.

The school looks to be pretty good
[url=http://school-ratings.com/schoolRatings.php?schName=sugar+hill+elementary]California School Ratings - Search Results[/url]

Edit: the link does not work but go to California school ratings.com

Old 09-25-2008, 01:41 PM

419 posts, read 1,451,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandilea View Post
my husband grew up in sunnymead ranch on the hill when he was young for a few years before moving to la. i have never lived anywhere but the beach cities. his father owns the house and is willing to let us live there rent free for a year to save and by a home. we have a three year old boy and a five year old boy. i have heard sooooooooo much with riverside county that i am afraid to make the wrong choice. we did drive out there a few months ago and it was hard to tell about the area. people seemed nice but i didnt get a chance to check out the schools. my boys would be going to sugar hill elementary near the home. is this a good school? i need any information. please help
what is the price of your happiness?

Old 09-25-2008, 02:30 PM

7,004 posts, read 21,357,803 times
Moreno Valley isn't that bad. At least it wans't when I lived there for 5 years.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:59 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,913,961 times
Sunnymead Ranch is nice. I live near there (One block from the Ranch). It's a really safe community. Put it this way, I've left my car keys on my car overnight and had a note from the neighbor on my doorstep. Another time that my mom left her keys on the door of the house for three hours while she was working in the backyard. Most people in this area do have their doors unlocked. Since the NW side of town is a nicer, but older, part of town...neighbors know each other real well. Many people that bought their homes are the original owners, at least relative to the rest of the city.

I went to Sugar Hill then Northridge. I turned out fine. It's a typical middle/upper middle class community. It just gets REALLY hot during the summer and traffic westbound can be a pain. Concerning the heat, there is the Sunnymead Ranch Lake Club. The Lake Club has its private pool, tennis, basketball courts, bbq, and shaded park on the lake.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,930 times
Default thanks for the replies just a couple more questions

my husband has mentioned that the heat is going to be a real shocker for me and the fact that i am a total beach girl who has to get used to no waves just down the street. i came across this site and starting reading horrible comments about moreno valley. gangs,crappy schools etc. when i chose to write i got back really decent replies. gangs are everywhere and i realize that but i know where i live the cops dont mess around and are really on top of things. is moreno valley the same? what is there to do? as for as one response i got a person asked what my price was on happiness and i dont quit understand what you are asking. if i can save up and buy a house for my family instead of renting a small apartment for 1500 and have a house in an area that might not be so bad then what? that is why i am getting out there and asking you people that might have lived there or do live there and have some idea that can help me make up my mind. thanks again to the people who responded for taking the time to help me out.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:32 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,913,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandilea View Post
my husband has mentioned that the heat is going to be a real shocker for me and the fact that i am a total beach girl who has to get used to no waves just down the street. i came across this site and starting reading horrible comments about moreno valley. gangs,crappy schools etc. when i chose to write i got back really decent replies. gangs are everywhere and i realize that but i know where i live the cops dont mess around and are really on top of things. is moreno valley the same? what is there to do? as for as one response i got a person asked what my price was on happiness and i dont quit understand what you are asking. if i can save up and buy a house for my family instead of renting a small apartment for 1500 and have a house in an area that might not be so bad then what? that is why i am getting out there and asking you people that might have lived there or do live there and have some idea that can help me make up my mind. thanks again to the people who responded for taking the time to help me out.
To be perfectly honest, many posts of the plight of Moreno Valley is simply exaggerated to the foint of near fiction. The city as a whole ranks average nationally for crime. Sunnymead Ranch has no crime...very petty vandalism (TP a house, or bashing mailboxes). It is a hot town that gets pretty cold during the winter. Inland weather is a little different. There are semi-distinct seasons. Summer is f'ing hot. Fall is cool and crisp. Winter is cold and wet (Snows every year to two years). Spring is warm and pleasant (green hills and crisp air).

The worst part of the town is not the crime. It's the traffic. Put it this way, 92557 and 92555 are both above the median and average household income of California (65k in 92557 and 74k in 92555). Both areas of town (Northwest 92557, and East) are typical middle/ upper middle income suburban places.

To those that will say that they were messed up b/c of Moreno Valley, I point out to the many others that have not been messed up. Me and my brother lived in Sunnymead Ranch area and turned out fine. I like the rural character of orange groves and horse ranches surrounding the area. I like jogging and biking in the rolling hills. This is the Moreno Valley that I know.

Yes there is Central Moreno Valley, but you won't be living there. Nor will you ever really need to go there. Central Moreno Valley is more crime ridden and hence brings down the rest of the town. But, that's miles away.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:13 PM

84 posts, read 486,324 times
I also grew up in Redondo Beach before moving out to Moreno Valley area for college. The heat in the summer is a real pain. Be prepared for 90 straight days of 95+ weather with no relief. Also be prepared for the horrible air quality of the Inland Empire, which is the worst in the entire U.S.

I didn't experience much of a gang issue. If you're living in the Sunnymead Ranch area you shouldn't have any problems with gangs. It's the nicest area of the city aside from Hidden Springs. The traffic is getting worse all over though, both on the highways and on residential streets in the city as well.

Also, there is really nothing to do in the city at all. You'll have to drive an hour or so to find fun things to do. And like the previous poster said, stay out of central Mo.Valley if you want to avoid crime issues, especially on Indian street between Sunnymead Blvd. and Cottonwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties