Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:03 PM

8 posts, read 29,317 times

Advertisements

Irvine to Lake Elsinore. I know people who do the drive and I've had clients buy homes in Lake Elsinore for the cleaner air and more affordable housing. I suppose depending on the time you go to work and come home the commute could be very bad to worse. On a standard work with 8-5 work hours and not taking any of the toll roads your drive could be 1.5-3 hours.
I do know several people who drive this route and don't mind it at all, typically I found the pay is much better in Irvine as compared to the same job in Riverside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,185 times
Thumbs down Dear God no!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marielola View Post
Hi PureHapa! Thanks for the response and info. I was hoping the commute would be around or under an hour because I would be going into Lake Elsinore in the morning from Irvine which I've heard is better because it's the opposite direction of where most traffic is going. Is this true? I got an awesome job offer out there in L.E. but I have to live in Irvine. How long do you think?? 45 min-an hour or more like 2 hours??? Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon. I'm coming out there from Michigan.

That's one of the most horrific commutes I can imagine. ugh. You'd want to invest in a helicopter for that one - only about 25 miles as the crow flies. But you'd be driving 50 miles each way on one of two routes, both horrible.

The first, the 15-91-241 route, would be all the fun of the aforementioned Corona-Costa Mesa route, but with 20 miles of the 15 thrown in to mix things up. I commute from around the 15 and the 91 to Costa Mesa/Newport Beach every day. We don't leave until around 9 or later (very flexible job - it helps) and manage to miss the bulk of the traffic (usually) that way. And we can use the carpool lane. We take the 241 (the boss pays for Fastrak), and even with all that going for us, it still takes at least an hour, generally. In the evening (you have to leave either by 4pm or after 6:30 unless you want to park on the freeway), usually after 6:30 or so, we take the worst leg of the journey. Back the same way we came, but the interchange to the 91 from the 241 can be the worst ever. Occasionally it's clear until right before you actually get on the 91 (which is lit up in red by this point), then it can be rough from there to the 15, and that's with carpool. BTW, the 91/15 interchange usually looks like it sucks, too. On a bad night, the 241/91 interchange is backed up and *stopped* for a mile or two, sometimes a lot more.

The other option is taking the 405 (probably), past the dreaded "Y," to the Ortega Highway, which is basically a windy 2-lane mountain road. AND, in one section of it, they had one whole side of the road closed off for maintenance and we got stopped for about 15 minutes or so while they let the people coming the other way by. Then they stopped and we went. Hopefully that's over by now and rare. But the one time I made that jaunt, I started sometime after 7pm and it took me 2 hours to get there.

I'm sure it's too late to stop you, and I can only hope that you didn't do it. And if you did, that you didn't decide to just end it all by driving off the side of the Ortega. Much better to get a place in Elsinore. It can't be that expensive.

I'm just posting this to warn anyone else that might be considering this death-defying feat.

Godspeed, marielola.

Chris

Old 11-13-2010, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondrwmn View Post
Hi. I have been living in Corona for six years. Yes, there is affordable housing here. Getting worse gang problem because anytime here in California if there is affordable housing - you get several families sharing a home on the same street as yours and because of the horrible commute, many latchkey kids.

I dont know where you are coming from. The commute here is seriously horrible, stressful and hard on your family. You have to get up way early and get home a lot later. Not to mention the extra $10 a day it will cost you round trip to go the toll roads. There is no amount of money that you could pay me to do that commute every day.

Schools here are decent - we go to Lincoln which is hard to get into. It has the best schools in the district and is not Title 1.

That being said - we are moving.

I wish you well with your decision. I don't ever think it is wise to move to an area just for a job. You have to really like it. Please come to Corona and drive the commute anytime between 6am and 8pm. Yes, it is seriously that bad during those hours. I really wish I was exaggerating.
BS man my nd i homeboys be in the streets puttin in work foo you all trippin

Old 11-13-2010, 11:51 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ST.:ESE FAME:. View Post
BS man my nd i homeboys be in the streets puttin in work foo you all trippin
Huh? is that Jamacian??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties