Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:32 AM

418 posts, read 1,312,452 times

Advertisements

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 the best, how does it compare with other areas for a single retiree to live out the last few years of his life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 04:19 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
It depends on what you want out of your neighborhood. If you want a walkable, urban neighborhood South Park is a great place. If you have money to spend in the local shops and restaurants, it will be even better. If you live in fear of the urban landscape, then not so much.

South Park used to be a neighborhood that was down on its heels, passed by, and sliding into decay. However, the locals preserved the small bungalow and craftsman housing from the onslaught of the Huffman Hovels, and it is now an area that is stable, and generally improving. There are still a few rough edges here and there, but overall, I think you might like it if you want an urban neighborhood type place.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:33 PM

129 posts, read 340,774 times
It's good to hear ann up beat opinion of South Park. Like they say, if you have nothing nice to say...say nothing at all. So here's my thoughts on South Park........

Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
It depends on what you want out of your neighborhood. If you want a walkable, urban neighborhood South Park is a great place. If you have money to spend in the local shops and restaurants, it will be even better. If you live in fear of the urban landscape, then not so much.

South Park used to be a neighborhood that was down on its heels, passed by, and sliding into decay. However, the locals preserved the small bungalow and craftsman housing from the onslaught of the Huffman Hovels, and it is now an area that is stable, and generally improving. There are still a few rough edges here and there, but overall, I think you might like it if you want an urban neighborhood type place.

I totally agree on what Souf Park has to offer...but for a retiree, thats a vague question to ask. As with anywhere, you live somewhere because it fits your needs and lifestyle. SD is actually pretty diverse and growing more so. Balboa Park truly is the saving grace for its surrounding areas, drawing folks looking for a lifestyle alternative to the beach, tract home communities or mountains.
Most of us cant afford to pick up and just move to La Jolla or other areas in town which are now highly sought after. You should have seen La Jolla in the 50s...it was run down and the homes there back then were old.

So on a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 6 for a retiree

Old 08-02-2010, 07:42 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDinsider View Post
It's good to hear ann up beat opinion of South Park. Like they say, if you have nothing nice to say...say nothing at all. So here's my thoughts on South Park........
Yours is the first non-upbeat opinion I've encountered in a very long time. For those of us who are lucky to live here its a great thing to know that there are still folks like you who continue to dismiss the area- keeps the snobs away, just how we like it!

To the original poster kettlepot's description is pretty much accurate, I would downgrade the feeling of an urban jungle quite a bit though its actually pretty darn quiet, other than some occasional car crime not much else; much lower crime rate than La Jolla its a fact.

Lots of older folks here who mix well with the younger urban pioneers who are starting to shift the demographics. It might be a little further away from some of the medical centers or other facilities an older person might want though.

Check us out at the next Walkabout in the fall.

http://www.southparkscene.com/

Cheers.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Yours is the first non-upbeat opinion I've encountered in a very long time. For those of us who are lucky to live here its a great thing to know that there are still folks like you who continue to dismiss the area- keeps the snobs away, just how we like it!

To the original poster kettlepot's description is pretty much accurate, I would downgrade the feeling of an urban jungle quite a bit though its actually pretty darn quiet, other than some occasional car crime not much else; much lower crime rate than La Jolla its a fact.

Lots of older folks here who mix well with the younger urban pioneers who are starting to shift the demographics. It might be a little further away from some of the medical centers or other facilities an older person might want though.

Check us out at the next Walkabout in the fall.

SOUTH PARK San Diego

Cheers.

Thanks....that's a lovely website. It all looks friendly and warm. I think i would like that a lot. And my white lab, Gracie, also.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 the best, how does it compare with other areas for a single retiree to live out the last few years of his life?
South Park is a bit of an older neighborhood with a mixed population tending on the young side. Most of the local establishments are things young kids just out of college want (bars, cheap restaurants, etc...).

Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
I am very interested in South Park, North Park, Kensington amd Mission Hill.
I'm a grandmom who's raising a grandchild. I see and hear some attitude regarding what appears to me to be pretty vibrant areas. Having said that i'm still researching the school situation. The only reason I would look North to Poway area would be solely for the schools, which makes me sad.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:54 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
South Park used to be really ghetto, lot's of poor families and gang bangers. Now it's a nice place to live, and the majority of all the poor minority families have been pushed out through the increase in the housing prices in the neighborhood.

This has had an effect on the area's diversity, as well as the kind of businesses that have opened up recently. I don't like snobs either, trying change things up to fit their uppity criteria. I don't mind hipsters as much, but I really dislike yuppies moving in and completely ruining the old cool vibe of an neighborhood like South Park because they want to make it all fancy and stiff, these people attract Starbucks and all the corporate crap that eats away the unique originality of certain urban hoods. I also can't stand lame boutique stores, pet places, and stupid desert shops, I don't know, but they all seem so annoying. More bars and less hip and expensive restaurants would be better for South Park. How about some down South BBQ joints that serve up some good BBQ? Real food places is needed, enough with the high end, half a plate gourmet eateries that are usually sub par and cost a fortune. I am tired of restaurants selling it's "Atmosphere" to attract people, while not caring about the quality of the food.

I don't even think Hillcrest is all that, it's loaded with corporate chain places, especially on Uni Ave. Nothing original about it. It's ok, but nothing spectacular.

Normal Heights is the last hidden gem in Mid City, it's not as sleepy as South Park, and has more businesses to shop, and eat at.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
You're a fan of abnormal heights, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego