Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 12:10 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
The Gas Lamp and Pacific Beach and Hillcrest offer their fun items...but their sidewalks seem to be the same. The crowd seems to be the same: WHITEBREAD in some form or another (plus the military boys who adorn the district). The nightclub scene is pale compared to Houston's (which is only probably a rung below that of NY, LA, Miami). Even Playboy Magazine once listed a Houston nightclub, Mercury Room, as one of America's best. Houston's HUSH nightclub won top listing in two categories in a magazine for the DJ industry. I am not aware of San Diego making cuts like that. And I'm not really a party animal anymore.
That's good if you are a minority I guess. As a white man, I don't mind the white-centric nature of the San Diego scene though.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Yeah, we went out to the Gaslamp and that scene doesn't seem like what it used to be. The clubs are all different. Back when I used to go regularly in 2000-2001, the clubs I went to were The Blue Tattoo, Club 66 (later became the Rox), Tsunami's, Buffalo Joes (later became 5th Quarter)(remember the Disco Pimps?). All those clubs are gone. The only familiar places were Martini Ranch, Bitter End, On Broadway, and a few other places. Most of the clubs they have now all look the same, the post-modern lounges that play nothing but house/techno and attract the upper class croud. I mean those kind of clubs are cool as long as I'm in the mood for them, but Gaslamp just doesn't offer the variety like they used to. I would like to go to the bar on top of the Marriott sometime though. The other thing is that I'm not single anymore, so it's not as fun to be in that kind of scene as it was back in my single days.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,028 times
jmark... I'm 26, and lived in SD my whole life.... and I'm the same when it comes to going out.

"We are not so much into the "club" scene, just bars that are laid back and have live music and stuff like that"

by the date on your post, I'm assuming you are here by now.
I highly suggest googling directions to the whistle stop, the red fox room, the air conditioned lounge, ye olde sod (if you like irish pub type places)- these are all in north park and south park, theres a plethera of great laid back bars around there. kadans is great too, if you like entertaining people to talk to while you drink. they have the most interesting cross section of people there... and GO TO INCAHOOTS (in mission valley) ON SUNDAY NIGHTS. they have $2 drinks, whatever drink you want and its awesome. everyone at all these bars are laid back types, good mix of music and the drinks arent expensive. oh yeah and try lucy's in ocean beach. and effin's on college ave, thats a college bar. if you go there on thursday nights, beware, you may or may not like the entertainment for the night. : )
OH! I almost forgot if you like dancing, try bar dynamite. its close to downtown.
good luck and have fun. and that poster up there is correct... DO NOT go to mexico without a person fluent in spanish and very familiar with TJ.... every horrible story starts with 'so we went to TJ one night and...'

Old 10-15-2007, 08:54 PM

7 posts, read 29,425 times
Overall San Diego is a horrible place to live but great palce to visit. It really depends what your into. Personally me being an ex New Yorker I prefer L.A. better. Los Angeles has better public transportation while in San Diego driving is a must. Los Angeles has more culture and a better bigger downtown. Real Estate in L.A. is the same as S.D., but La has lots more to offer.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:18 PM

100 posts, read 564,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I looked forward moving to San Diego in 2002 (and stayed until mid-2006) but for some reason, the reality set in for me (that's for another topic) . Beneath that media veneer and tourism popularity...there is a very UGLY side to that place...one that my wife and a couple of my Houston friends fail to see when glowing about San Diego.

Oh, but they are simple sunshine kind of folks...I am on the other hand the self-styled deep thinker about those things!
Just curious about the "ugly side" of things as you saw it, I lived there for a year and think I have an idea of what you mean

Old 11-27-2007, 11:58 PM

102 posts, read 472,543 times
San diego sucks I defenentily go for L.A. any day and by the way L.A. has more night life then san diego, how do i know because on the weekends I go to downtown san diego and everybody is all inside the hotels and the streets have nobody on them yeah some nitetlife.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:14 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
my uncle in mississippi says livin in california is like livin with a beautiful woman that has a headache all the time.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:08 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hworld View Post
Overall San Diego is a horrible place to live but great palce to visit. It really depends what your into. Personally me being an ex New Yorker I prefer L.A. better. Los Angeles has better public transportation while in San Diego driving is a must. Los Angeles has more culture and a better bigger downtown. Real Estate in L.A. is the same as S.D., but La has lots more to offer.
Why do some always try to compare San Diego to LA in anything? Metro LA has like 13 million people, while we have just under 3 million here. Of course there will be more of ANYTHING to choose from and do in LA. Put San Diego up against metros closer to our size (Denver, St. Louis, Seattle, Minneapolis, Tampa, etc) and we do quite well. It's like me going into a Bakersfield thread and boasting about how much more stuff there is to here than there. Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego