Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:45 AM

8 posts, read 24,993 times

Advertisements

I have been reading threads on this website and almost can't believe it! My two good friends and I are planning a move to san diego in the next few months. We fly out in october to try and find jobs and a lease. We are all recent college grads so we will only really be looking for that first jobs that gives you that 1-3 years work experince you need to get hired for a legit position. I'm interested in PR and event planning, are these jobs hard to find? I understand the cost of living is high and many people complain about it, but i grew up outside of nyc and went to college in washington dc so i am used to paying alot for just about eveything. Now about the nightlife. We range from the ages of 22-24 and are all the same in the fact that we love going out and having a good time. We are not so much into the "club" scene, just bars that are laid back and have live music and stuff like that. I do like to go out to vip type places once and awhile, but i figure LA is close enough and i have several friends to stay with when i'm there. So i guess my question is, how is the bar scene for singles in there early 20's? I hear so many people complain that San Diego is boring, but i don't understand why they say that. Any information would help..thanks so much!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:47 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark1 View Post
I have been reading threads on this website and almost can't believe it! My two good friends and I are planning a move to san diego in the next few months. We fly out in october to try and find jobs and a lease. We are all recent college grads so we will only really be looking for that first jobs that gives you that 1-3 years work experince you need to get hired for a legit position. I'm interested in PR and event planning, are these jobs hard to find? I understand the cost of living is high and many people complain about it, but i grew up outside of nyc and went to college in washington dc so i am used to paying alot for just about eveything. Now about the nightlife. We range from the ages of 22-24 and are all the same in the fact that we love going out and having a good time. We are not so much into the "club" scene, just bars that are laid back and have live music and stuff like that. I do like to go out to vip type places once and awhile, but i figure LA is close enough and i have several friends to stay with when i'm there. So i guess my question is, how is the bar scene for singles in there early 20's? I hear so many people complain that San Diego is boring, but i don't understand why they say that. Any information would help..thanks so much!
Never listen to the haters. San Diego is crawling with hot chicks. There are plenty of bars, dives, beaches, and stuff to do.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:58 PM

51 posts, read 212,750 times
You'll be fine in the gaslamp and PB

Old 07-09-2007, 02:14 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,519,144 times
Yes it does, don't listen to the sugar coaters! Houston is crawling with hot chicks, as is Dallas, Austin, Boston, NYC, Miami, Chicago, and almost any other place! The only redeeming quality for San Diego is pleasent weather but in every other area, San Diego falls short of most other large cities. I lived there for 2 and a half yrs and the place is WAY overpriced and pretty dull and sprawled!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:42 PM

102 posts, read 455,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Yes it does, don't listen to the sugar coaters! Houston is crawling with hot chicks, as is Dallas, Austin, Boston, NYC, Miami, Chicago, and almost any other place! The only redeeming quality for San Diego is pleasent weather but in every other area, San Diego falls short of most other large cities. I lived there for 2 and a half yrs and the place is WAY overpriced and pretty dull and sprawled!
Pretty dull and sprawled? Isn't that the definition of Houston? There are more hot chicks in San Diego than most cities in the US just because its Southern Cali and the warm weather and beaches brings them out. I don't know why you think San Diego falls short of most other large cities. I think it's a great city. You get what you pay for with the cost of living.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:44 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,577,547 times
Personally it is too laid-back.There is enough to do but if there is 3 million people here it feels too small town.Yeah theres downtown and the beach cities but other than that it is a little slow. Jobs are a little hard to find because the pay hasn't kept up with the price of housing.Hate to say it but I'm one of those people who claims that SD is overrated and slightly boring compared to places like OC,Vegas,Bay Area,Miami.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 19,431 times
Cool native san diegan

If you are young, I do not think the night life sucks in San Diego. There is plenty to do at night, music, arts, theater and clubs.
I don't know about the job market, but rents are high.
I myself, as a native, would leave San Diego because it has changed in ways I do not like. Perhaps I just long for a time long past, with no traffic congestion, road rage, reasonable rents and friendly people.
If I have to move somewhere else that has higher or lower temps and less culture I am resigned to that.
San Diego is beautiful and if you are younger, you can have a blast here. Just don't windsurf or swim in South Bay or near the estuaries. Don't go to Mexico withouut a passport and insurance. Scratch that. Don't go to Mexico.
Old Town is enough like Mexico now that you would not notice the dif at this point.
Buena Suerte, y Bienvenidos!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:23 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,519,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicman25 View Post
Pretty dull and sprawled? Isn't that the definition of Houston? There are more hot chicks in San Diego than most cities in the US just because its Southern Cali and the warm weather and beaches brings them out. I don't know why you think San Diego falls short of most other large cities. I think it's a great city. You get what you pay for with the cost of living.
No, Houston is 10x more vibrant and lively than San Diego! This "you get what you pay for" thing, I guess Washington DC, and New Jersey would be better than San Diego too since they cost more, "you get what you pay for" huh? There are no more "hot chicks" in SD than in any other large city, if anything there are fewer, trust me I have been to many cities in the country (inc. Houston) with many more hot chicks than San Diego. Sorry, but the truth hurts but SD is not that great at all!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:33 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,743,296 times
While I can't help with career advice, I can say that there is enough nightlife and outdoor activities here to keep you busy all the time. Dive bars, beach bars, live music venues, pretentious clubs that charge $30 to get in, it's all here.

Disregard what jksouthbay posted because as I recall, he isn't even 21, so how would he know what the nightlife is like here? For crying out loud, he's convinced that OC is funner than San Diego?!?

Quote:
The only redeeming quality for San Diego is pleasent weather but in every other area, San Diego falls short of most other large cities. I lived there for 2 and a half yrs and the place is WAY overpriced and pretty dull and sprawled!
LOL...I started laughed while reading this post when I saw that you were from Houston. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't sprawl the ONLY thing H-town is know for? I'm heading there at the end of August to visit a friend and I can't wait to see what it has to offer. She's already tried to convince me to meet her in San Antonio because she says there's really nothing in Houston (she's a native Houstonian). The only thing that appeals to me while I'm there is NASA. Perhaps you can tell me what the other "must sees" there are? ie, viewpoints, gathering places (not malls), places to bike, etc.

FYI - I've been to Dallas and didn't care for it at all. People have told me that Dallas is the better of the two, so I'll have to be the judge of that and get back to you on that one.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:57 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,949,776 times
Default grammar

Quote:
I guess Washington DC, and New Jersey would be better than San Diego
Having lived on the I-95 corridor all my life, I can say positively & definitively that DC & Jersey are not better. Not by long shots.

Check it: What do the Jersey kids, the PA/Philly peoples, the Wilmington Delware peoples do in the summer? They ALL go to the shore (beach).

What do all the Northern Virginian, DC, MD, Beltway households do during summer, by gosh they're off to the beach too. Ocean City, Hatteras, VA Beach (East Coast Surf Championships anyone?).

San Diego is a beach city which trumps DC & Jersey.

BTW - no one really lives in DC, we all live in big houses inside the Beltway in our master planned communities, outside of the city. DC = great city to work & visit, all the musuems & monuments are free; i love DC - its come a long way in the last decade. And my comment on Jersey, you cannot make a left turn in the whole state. Do you understand how annoying that is. Give me beautiful San Diego.

Quote:
There are no more "hot chicks" in SD than in any other large city
NYC, LA, Miami - I'll give you. But please, SoCal girls are sooo so fine.

Houston, Dallas, Austin, (I give Austin a great music scene), but these cities all have a very Texas cowboy flavor. If thats your thing, then be it. I'll take a laid back beach city over a rodeo hooting Texas city any day (and I like rodeos and enjoyed TX especially Austin and Schlitterbahn Boogie Bahn but in comparison to SD, they are no way close!!!).

San Diego is one of our nations premiere cities. Give me another forty days and I am calling it home. San Diego rocks. My boy just had a business trip there, hung out for a week, and filed for a transfer. You have it so good in San Diego!

Last edited by mossomo; 07-10-2007 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego