Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 PM

96 posts, read 131,932 times

Advertisements

If I could choose anywhere to live, it would be San Diego! Why don't people all move there?

The weather is perfect, so is the city. Is it the traffic? Or is it expensive to rent/buy a place? Other than that, what else is a negative?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,851,994 times
Cost of living is a big obstacle for many in San Diego. It's expensive to live here, it's very expensive if you want to buy a house. If you can't afford to live well here, then it's not fun. Most people who struggle financially probably here could live rather comfortably in 90% of the rest of the nation.
Also, not everyone is into the beach. For those of us who surf, run, bike, etc., it's a dream location. But if that's not your thing, SD loses a lot of its luster. It'd be like me moving to Vail. Great skiing, but I hate skiing.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:26 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Biggest reason is cost of living. And even despite that, a lot of people move here who really can't afford to live here.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,171,540 times
The high cost of living has a lot to do with it. If you can't afford it, then you just won't be happy here and that goes for 95% of the rest of California where the COL is high. I love the beaches, the weather, the people, the mountains, the hills. I was born and raised here and it really is heaven for me anyway. It really feels like paradise to me. The sunsets are amazing too. I just love San Diego and everything it has to offer.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,825,582 times
Some folks like the change of seasons...perfect weather most of the time gets boring.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:32 PM

^Snow and constant rain gets annoying most of the time...wait 99% of the time..

Old 12-30-2010, 09:45 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,851,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Some folks like the change of seasons...perfect weather most of the time gets boring.
This is why I couldn't live in Hawaii or South Florida. Those places seem to have the same weather all the time -- sunny and 80s. So Cal has varied weather, even if it is more subtle and most other areas. We've seen that the last few weeks for sure.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,150,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy332 View Post
If I could choose anywhere to live, it would be San Diego! Why don't people all move there?

The weather is perfect, so is the city. Is it the traffic? Or is it expensive to rent/buy a place? Other than that, what else is a negative?

Thanks
Lots of people stay away because they have inflated ideas of how much it costs to live in San Diego. The myth of expensiveness of San Diego is perpetuated by threads like this one. (Don't get me wrong - it IS slightly more expensive than average - but the differences are so small as to be inconsequential, unless you're trying to live on $10/hour.)

Some people stay away because it's boring out here. There's no culture or nightlife to speak of. The city is basically dead after 10 pm. Even rock bands often skip the city, and you have to drive to LA (6+ hour round trip) to most concerts.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 PM

No culture or nightlife? I really hate when people say that! I go to SDSU and there are so many different races and religions that go there as well. It always baffles me when people claim San diego has no culutre. That's just downright BS.

There is plenty of nightlife. If you can't find nightlife in San diego, then I think it's you who is the problem. Every nightlife place I have been in San Diego was open until 3- 4am and was rockin and packed. Do you even live here? Sure it's not NYC nightlife but it sure isn't bad either.

LOL at the boring statement too. geez I swear some of the people on this site really need to get out more.

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 12-30-2010 at 11:21 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 11:19 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,150,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
Every nightlife place I have been in San Diego was open until 3- 4am and was rockin and packed.
Yeah. Both of them? ;-)

I'm sure that there are bars and night clubs open till 3 am even in Omaha. That does not equate to nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego