Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 01:25 PM

12 posts, read 17,251 times

Advertisements

I'm moving a family of four, 2 kids ages 11 and 1.5. Anywho, I'm looking for safe family areas in or around San Diego.

Would probably rent a home or townhome to start, and eventually buy.

As far as budget, probably 2k and under to rent. Probably could afford more, but don't want to.

I've done some searching, and areas such as Temecula, Encinitas, and Carlsbad come up. How are they regarding crime, schools, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 03:21 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,587,239 times
There's a lot of miles between Temecula and Encinitas. Nobody likes a long commute. Where exactly will you be working?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:29 PM

788 posts, read 1,878,932 times
For the most part, great schools and low crime. Temecula is much cheaper than Carlsbad and Encinitas, especially when/if you eventually purchase a home.

2k doesnt get you too far in Carlsbad or Encinitas because it is on the coast. 2bd/2bth maybe.
You can rent a decent sized house for that price in Temecula.

Also consider actually living in San Marcos. School and crime are comparable to these areas. It's more affordable like Temecula, but not as hot or boring. It's also relatively close to the coast, but far enough away to avoid the marine layer.

What kind of community do you want to live in? Basically all of these cities fall under the umbrella of "good schools & low crime"
- Encinitas is more artsy
- Temecula is the epitome of suburbia
- Carlsbad is rich suburbia
- San Marcos is suburbia w/ college kids

general statements, but for the most part true.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
There's a lot of miles between Temecula and Encinitas. Nobody likes a long commute. Where exactly will you be working?
It would actually be my wife's job, and it would be in San Marcos. I know nothing of that area, and if it would be suitable as far as raising a family, schools, crime, etc. I don't have to live 10 minutes from the beach, so living in one of the 'burbs is actually desirable for me.

The other option we have is Vegas, and something about raising two small kids there just does not seem like something I want to do. The only good thing regarding a potential Vegas move, is that my wife would have a potentially (sales) much better paying job, that has been officially offered, its just both of us love the San Diego area.

I'm in I.T., and although I haven't found anything yet, I would before we'd make the official move.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
For the most part, great schools and low crime. Temecula is much cheaper than Carlsbad and Encinitas, especially when/if you eventually purchase a home.

2k doesnt get you too far in Carlsbad or Encinitas because it is on the coast. 2bd/2bth maybe.
You can rent a decent sized house for that price in Temecula.

Also consider actually living in San Marcos. School and crime are comparable to these areas. It's more affordable like Temecula, but not as hot or boring. It's also relatively close to the coast, but far enough away to avoid the marine layer.

What kind of community do you want to live in? Basically all of these cities fall under the umbrella of "good schools & low crime"
- Encinitas is more artsy
- Temecula is the epitome of suburbia
- Carlsbad is rich suburbia
- San Marcos is suburbia w/ college kids

general statements, but for the most part true.
Is it true that Temecula has its rough parts? Sounds like Carlsbad is a bit out of my range. I'm somewhat familiar with Carlsbad and Oceanside. Back when I was in the USMC in the early 90s at Pendleton, Carlsbad was the nice area, and Oceanside had a pretty decent gang element, but I never felt threatened. I've also heard that Poway has some really good schools, and the commute, at least according to Google maps, wouldn't be too bad. For what that's worth, as the driving times they provide don't take into account traffic.

I'm coming from Chicago, born and raised, and while I love the area, and my friends and family are from here, I'm done with Winter, and ready for a big change.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,587,239 times
I'd look in San Marcos. Maybe Vista. $2K should get you a nice place. Why have a long commute when you need to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego