Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:24 AM

7 posts, read 12,304 times

Advertisements

I think I'm more looking on here for some motivation or reassurance that I'm not crazy. I have family in the area, and am familiar with locations to live. I know I'm going to be looking for a place to stay renting a room. I am moving because I have been growing increasingly unhappy with my job and where I live. I'm currently working as a civil engineer and have been for the last 2 years. I've saved up enough money at this point to live with no income for at last 6 months, yes I am aware of the cost of living. I was hoping that several career opportunities would come through, but am making the move with no source of income upon arrival. Planning on getting a job in the service/food industry which I did the college while looking for a career. Also if times get bad I am debating on withdrawing my larger savings, roth/401k if required. I am only 24 and still at a point in my life where I can make this kind of "leap of faith" if there is anyone who can give me their advice or even opinion of my decession I would be most appreciative, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 07:29 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,181,708 times
You seem pretty confident. I say go for it. You have family in the area and I am sure they would be more than happy to lend a helping hand if you ever need it.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,355,658 times
You'll have lots of competition in the service/food industry from the locals.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 AM

Yea, I believe that, any job in the mean time would do. So I'm not depleting my savings. Not that I'm a fan of regressing in my career path, but sacrifices must be made.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:53 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,355,658 times
Save up lots more money, you'll need it. It's hard to get any type of job here. I work several part-time low paid jobs (along with lots of others), while looking for something better.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:10 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,212,047 times
can you live with family temporarily until you land a career type job?

Old 12-14-2010, 02:10 PM

I will be staying with them until I find a place to stay. They aren't in a position to help much more than that financially. And do not have much extra room. With 2 years experience and a bachelors in civil engineering I am going that the career search won't take too long. I will be taking the steps toward getting my residency so after a year if all else fails I'll return to school for a masters. I am hoping that I would get a leg up with the exp, and hoping for a entry level position.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,856,829 times
Have you researched the demand in SD for civil engineers? I can't imagine it's all that high...would that be a civil service postion?

Old 12-14-2010, 03:16 PM

Civil engineering encompasses pavement and road design, structural work, environmental work, land fill design, water distribution systems, site development, ect. Civil as in civilization. Most of my experience has been structural designand analysis, also done work with site development and watershed systems. There are many firms in the area, however infrastructure development is slow at this time. I have noticed several positions in the area I would qualify for, and have been applying. I believe being in the area would make me much more noticable, and allow meeasier opportunities to set up interviews.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,484,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc886 View Post
Civil engineering encompasses pavement and road design, structural work, environmental work, land fill design, water distribution systems, site development, ect. Civil as in civilization. Most of my experience has been structural designand analysis, also done work with site development and watershed systems. There are many firms in the area, however infrastructure development is slow at this time. I have noticed several positions in the area I would qualify for, and have been applying. I believe being in the area would make me much more noticable, and allow meeasier opportunities to set up interviews.
What about this position:
(at least to start someplace)

Apprentice Assistant Lineman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego