Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,926 times

Advertisements

We moved to San Diego a year ago, and chose an apartment in Mission Valley because it was centrally located. We'd like to move (still renting, while we watch the market) to somewhere with a little more character.

I work in Mira Mesa, and my husband works out of the home. We don't have kids, and we'd like to live somewhere that has things (restaurants, shops, coffee, etc.) within easy walking distance. We'd also like to take some art classes, browse galleries, etc. on weekends. We can afford a decent rent for about 1200 sf (~$2300) and I'd like to find someplace a little funky like a loft or an old 1920's house.

We're looking at a loft in east village this weekend, and I wanted to see how that neighborhood is for crime. I'd like to be able to go to restaurants or coffee shops at night without being worried about being on the street past a certain hour. The loft is really nice but pretty expensive, and on the ground floor, which also makes me a little leery, depending on the neighborhood.

Are there any other neighborhoods that would be good choices? Are there good places to look online besides craigslist?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 03:18 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGirl View Post
We moved to San Diego a year ago, and chose an apartment in Mission Valley because it was centrally located. We'd like to move (still renting, while we watch the market) to somewhere with a little more character.

I work in Mira Mesa, and my husband works out of the home. We don't have kids, and we'd like to live somewhere that has things (restaurants, shops, coffee, etc.) within easy walking distance. We'd also like to take some art classes, browse galleries, etc. on weekends. We can afford a decent rent for about 1200 sf (~$2300) and I'd like to find someplace a little funky like a loft or an old 1920's house.

We're looking at a loft in east village this weekend, and I wanted to see how that neighborhood is for crime. I'd like to be able to go to restaurants or coffee shops at night without being worried about being on the street past a certain hour. The loft is really nice but pretty expensive, and on the ground floor, which also makes me a little leery, depending on the neighborhood.

Are there any other neighborhoods that would be good choices? Are there good places to look online besides craigslist?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

It gets a little dicey as you go over by 16th street or south towards Imperial. I lived there for years when there were no condos and nobody but bums down there. Treat it like you would any big city downtown neighborhood and you'll be fine.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:59 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
San Diego's version of Skid Row.I think crime is really high over there but I'm not totally sure.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:43 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
San Diego's version of Skid Row.I think crime is really high over there but I'm not totally sure.
This is a gross over-generalization. It's like saying all of Manhattan's a dump because the section of the island by the Bus Terminal is bad.

Downtown San Diego has an area of about 2-4 blocks north of East Village that is homeless ground central, because that's where the services are, but there are dozens of blocks that are just regular city blocks. East Village is definitely on the upswing, though you'll still get the occasional whack job whose making a field trip for the day, but mostly it's not an issue that an adult can't handle.

My apoligies that this really doesn't get to the heart of the original poster's question.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:09 AM

12 posts, read 74,266 times
Been living in East Village since 1996 and no problems in terms of crime. Sure there area bunch of homeless walking around, but they are mainly harmless. Heck a group of trying to be good 20 somethings are always feeding them and sitting with them to go over their problems acting like they care..that really makes me chuckle sometimes. Anyways the East village has cleaned up due to Petco Park. There are some apartments on 16th street that are nice.. i think City Villas or something. Buddy of mine lives there and he has a 2 bedroom 2 bath with view of Downtown for under $1500/mth. It is hardly skidrow. A new albertsons opened up in the area and above it are some pretty nice apartments. In 3-5 years it will be the palce to be.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 PM

24 posts, read 34,512 times
Sorry to bump this thread guys but I'm really considering moving into this area, particularly near Petco Park. I heard about the homeless shelter and I've seen many homeless people on the streets but any updated info about the general safety and/or crime would be appreciated. I don't mind a little ruggedness and noise. Just wondering if it's safe to walk around or park my car somewhere and not have to constantly worry about break ins. Thanks in advance!!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
I don't think there's much to worry about crime, but you hit the nail on the head in terms of homeless. You're also more likely to run into the late night party revelers (i.e. Icon comes to mind) given the young nature of the residents and proximity to Gaslamp and various bars.

You mentioned you were looking for something with a little more character--not the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of East Village...characters?...yes...character, as in the neighborhood?--not really.....I think you would find more character in Little Italy, less homeless, and seemingly a bit less congested (plus not having to put up with traffic and/or noise form 81 home baseball games). Also more artsy/galleries in Little Italy than East Village not to mention better restaurants (funny, but my faves in the area are not Italian) and plenty of great coffee shops and Saturday farmers market...just my 2 cents.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-19-2015 at 09:07 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 09:20 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_angelbaby84 View Post
Sorry to bump this thread guys but I'm really considering moving into this area, particularly near Petco Park. I heard about the homeless shelter and I've seen many homeless people on the streets but any updated info about the general safety and/or crime would be appreciated. I don't mind a little ruggedness and noise. Just wondering if it's safe to walk around or park my car somewhere and not have to constantly worry about break ins. Thanks in advance!!
The area to the far East is plagued by homelessness and drug use/deals even to this day, I last lived their in 2006. It is not a dangerous place per se, you wont be mugged or robbed (not likely) but don't be to surprised to see a homeless (or faux homeless) person on the sidewalk smoking weed or a crack pipe at night, especially on 14, 15, 16, and 17th streets.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:22 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
The area to the far East is plagued by homelessness and drug use/deals even to this day, I last lived their in 2006. It is not a dangerous place per se, you wont be mugged or robber (not likely) but don't be to surprised to see a homeless (or faux homeless) person on the sidewalk smoking weed or a crack pipe at night, especially on 14, 15, 16, and 17th streets.
All true. The area has been built up quite a bit, but you still see it all. I lived there before it was built up and never had any problems, though.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:38 PM

24 posts, read 34,512 times
Thanks a lot guys!! Really appreciate your advice and info!! Will definitely take all into consideration!! 👍
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego