Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 01:14 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,578 times

Advertisements

Thought I would start this thread to give my own reviews of No. County eating establishments as I experience them now that I am back in So Cal. Alot of these will be in San Marcos, Carlsbad, Leucadia, Oceanside areas since I live in San Marcos. If you have had great food experiences in No County, please let me and everyone else know after reading my reviews.

In general, I have never imagined so many nice looking places to eat in all my life. There must be literally 100 or more just within a mile of where I live, not counting the little dumpy looking hole in the walls. I have notice how very much prices have jumped up in the last 4 yrs since I visited here last. Even to eat in a fast food place costs you $8-10 now, unless you stick to the dollar menu. Personally, if I am going to pay over $5-6 for a meal I will go somewhere nicer and eat good for $10 or $12. Leaving off the drink will save you $3 usually, which I will have to learn to do if I am going to eat out so often as I have been these first 3 weeks.

Well here goes in no particular order:

1. Norte's (formerly Fidel's) in Carlsbad - still great food and ambiance, fair prices compared to everywhere else. Always been my favorite Mexican fair. Try the chicken burrito, it melts in your mouth. And the Tostada Supremo is huge and delicious. I always get the half order of one. It is just too big.

2. Fish House Vera Cruz in San Marcos (& Carlsbad) - was always my favorite for fish (red snapper), but was surprised to see the prices, even for lunch. Didn't seem to enjoy it as much as I remember, but maybe it was the price that distracted me from enjoying the meal more. I only tried the one in San Marcos a couple times. Will try the Carlsbad location next before passing final judgement.

3. IHOP - was glad to see so many out here. Had my usual senior omelet w/ 2 pancakes. Price was about $8-9, which again was $3 more than other IHOPs I have been to. But still good for times when I need an IHOP pancake and omelet fix.

4. Oscar's on Rancho Sante Fe Rd in San Marcos - smaller size eat in or drive thru. Great prices. Fresh food all made there. The best beef Tacos I can remember having for only $2.50 each including tax. Large with shells that look and taste like they just fried them. Great choice and combos of all mexican fair, cooked and served by Mexicans. Combo plates all about $6. Feels like real Mexican to this Gringo. Try it if you are ever in San Marcos. Really good for great prices.

5. In & Out Burger - Sorry folks. I tried them once 10 yrs ago and didn't see what all the fuss was about. So tried them a week ago after hearing so many on here rave about them. Still, perplexed about those positive reviews. Plainest unflavored burger I have had. Not bad prices, but why all the great reviews? What-a-Burger has more flavor to me. I will cook my own burger at home anyway when I want a good one. At So Cal prices, if I want to spend $8 or $10, I don't want a burger and fries or any fast food anyway. Which lead me to #6.

6. Chick-Fil-A - Never tried it till 2 weeks ago here in S.M. Was surprised. For only $7 got a really large, thick, and good crispy chicken sandwich with lots of lettuce and tomato on it, a side dish, and drink. Leave off the fries and go with their Cole Slaw, its fantastic. Could make a meal on just the slaw it was so good. Best deal/price I have found so far. No more burgers for me. That chicken sandwich and cole slaw is the way to go.

7. Five Guys Burgers and Fries in S.M. - Looked like great burgers. Was going to try it even though burger, small fries, and drink was $11-12. However, after being told that they had Dr. Pepper, I went to the machine and only saw that Mr Pibb junk. Asked for my money back. Sorry, if I am going to pay that for a "good" burger and fries, I want to enjoy it with the only soda I like, not some cheap imitation, and for $3. Yikes! Headed to Chick-a-Fil and enjoyed their meal so much more for $7, and with Dr Pepper and that great cole slaw.

8. Off The Hook Seafood Grill in Encinitas - Little place in nice shopping area on El Camino Real, with a few tables inside and 3 or 4 outside on sidewalk. Had nice experience there sitting outside with my dog Gracie, eating fish and chips for a change. Fish was great, they gave me 3 huge pieces along with slaw and chips. Prices were good, about $10 I think with an iced tea. Nice fresh seafood, at a nice price, at a plain/simple little eatery in shopping center. I would definitely eat there again if in the mood for fish and chips when in that area.

9. The Soup Plantation in Vista just off Sycamore & Hwy 78 - Good price (under $10) for all the salad choices and 6 or 7 good soups, plus pastas, breads of all sorts, pizza type things, and deserts. It is a serve yourself, all you can eat place. If you want to eat healthy for under $10, you can't beat it. I was disappointed in the clam chowder soup, but the mushroom soup was great. I don't eat much anymore, so didn't try much else. Filled up on several salads and cornbread. Finished up with some good chocolate moose. Failed to ask for my senior discount and cashier didn't tell me. Guess I am looking younger now that I have move back to So Cal, which is nice to know. I already feel 10 yrs younger and much much happier, that is for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 04:40 PM

530 posts, read 780,152 times
And now, I am quite hungry, thank you very much.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2011, 04:44 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,795 times
Dog, maybe you should start a blog ... great reviews!

Old 05-28-2011, 05:40 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
A fascinating review of numerous reheat-n-heat local and regional chains, I particularly love you walking out of a restaurant due to their lack of a particular brand of soda, now that's classy! I'm just amazed that a business can put together a meal made of actual food products for less than 5 dollars and still have room for profit, those must be some top-quality ingredients! I need to remember your post next time my drunken buddy barfs up 70 dollars worth of 4-star restaurant veal chop after 6 beers in 35 minutes.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:57 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
A fascinating review of numerous reheat-n-heat local and regional chains, I particularly love you walking out of a restaurant due to their lack of a particular brand of soda, now that's classy! I'm just amazed that a business can put together a meal made of actual food products for less than 5 dollars and still have room for profit, those must be some top-quality ingredients! I need to remember your post next time my drunken buddy barfs up 70 dollars worth of 4-star restaurant veal chop after 6 beers in 35 minutes.
Thanks Sass, I was hungry till the last line in your post

Old 05-28-2011, 06:49 PM

124 posts, read 333,207 times
Try Hyuga Sushi on W. San Marcos Blvd. It's pretty darn good... even my husband's Japanese parents loved it. Plus, if you eat there with at least one other person, they give you a free dessert. It's pretty simple but yummy. Banana tempura with whipped cream and strawberry syrup with strawberry mochi ice cream.

We also like Chin's off of Rancho Sta Fe by the 78 freeway. Good Chinese food and very nice restaurant. Clean... unlike the typical Chinese restaurant. It has a bistro-ish type of feel. We like their salt and pepper chicken wings and they had this pork ribs dish from the Chinese menu that was really soft and tender.

I'm trying to think of where else we went to when we lived in San Marcos. .. if I think of more, I'll post it on here.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:55 PM

124 posts, read 333,207 times
Not in your specific areas... but still in North County... Pearl and Carver's Steak in Rancho Bernardo. Pearl is great for dimsum and Carver's Steak is well... a steakhouse.

Oh! Vivace in Four Seasons Carlsbad! That was a really great meal. Pricey... but great for a special occasion date or celebration.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:50 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,212 times
If you get to Escondido, World's Best Pizza has Salvadoran food- Pupusas, specifically, and they're delicious and cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego