Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,795 times

Advertisements

As home prices tumble, it's possible that rents will go up. Something to watch for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 AM

5 posts, read 77,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If you do come here without a job, make sure that you have a very large savings to hold you until/if you get one. Homeland Security is Federal Government, and very hard to get into. I have Federal reinstatement status, and after two years haven't gotten any offers yet. Probation is county, and they're not hiring, they have a freeze on. There are lots of budget cuts here, so you may want to reconsider.
Yeah, I know. I've actually considered all that. I'm merely moving for the experience. I actually have a reinstatement status here as well. In addition when I was laid off they offered me a part-time position without affecting my reinstatement status, but i turned it down because I want something different. That means if things don't work out in SD then I'll still have a job here in sac. One of my ex-coworker recently got a job with the feds in long beach, so i'm hoping i can get lucky too. I can always move back if things get sour in SD. I have families here and can move back anytime i want. The only concern i have is actually finding place with a decent price and decent people in SD. I know it's probably a dumb move on my part, but i'm willing to take a chance. I just want to live somewhere different. I've been in Sacramento my entire life and i'm getting sick of it.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:14 AM

5 posts, read 77,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
As home prices tumble, it's possible that rents will go up. Something to watch for.
Thanks! I guess i should consider buying instead of renting. If I buy, then i'm stuck. Is it easy to rent out your condo or home in SD?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what3ver106 View Post
Thanks! I guess i should consider buying instead of renting. If I buy, then i'm stuck. Is it easy to rent out your condo or home in SD?
If you dont know the markets here in SD for buying, then renting should be your first priority.

Renting a condo out can be difficult in the foreseeable future, depending on location and other factors. For some areas, its a cash cow. Lots of uncertainty right now. I believe in making luck happen, but it requires some due diligence nad timing. For the best possible scenario for someone that has limited resources to buy, you are competing with tons of others that do AND know the housing market. It would be blind luck otherwise at the price range you are looking in.

SD has lots of 'in between' areas or grey areas I should say. On the forums, naturally you will hear about families moving here asking questions about schools districts and such, so you might be hearing perhaps 5 different communities/neighborhoods quite often.
However the County is quite large and there lots of areas that might not get the mention as often because it basically neither here nor there. They are "average" and many times these area are hard to quantify.
Some folks also may have no experience so its just hearsay or statistics from a quick google search. A lot of the info is relevant, I am just saying from an "on the ground" standpoint, can be overgeneralized or have statistical information that has no correlation to anything of value for you.
This is probably your best once you get here, to start looking into buying. Speculators have already bought a good majority of the premium stuff IMHO. Now its kind of the nuggets or diamonds in the rough on the fringes. Not bad areas, but certainly not the most desirable perhaps due to age of the neighborhood or other factors that are not particularly seen as maximum profit centers.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:56 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
I lived in Sacramento for nine years, so I can relate being sick of it.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 16,929 times
chula vista and el cajon...safest,nicest, cheapest.......start whith these citys.then mira-mesa,pt-loma.kerney mesa......good luck.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 PM

10 posts, read 14,972 times
Check your PMs, what3ver106. We may be former co-workers.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:00 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,415 times
Quote:
LOL, that's a good question because I don't know. I'm hoping to find one when i move there. I'm hoping to apply in the field of public services. Maybe the department of probation, or Department Of Homeland Security. I was a probation officer before i got laid off due to the budget cuts.
County probation had lay offs last year and has not been hiring. Maybe try federal probation. Local service jobs are few and far between.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I’m 27yrs old single female from Sacramento, CA and am planning to move to San Diego some time next year. I’m am looking to rent, but I’m not sure where I should start. Where is the safest, nicest, and cheapest place to rent in San Diego? I know what I’m asking for is too good to be true, but I’m hoping I get lucky and someone may know of some good deals. I’m willing to pay anywhere from $500 to $700/$800 a month for an apartment or house/condo. Please, all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I think cheap and San Diego are oxymorons.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:46 PM

9 posts, read 12,916 times
any luck finding a place yet?
im also looking at sd but moving from western New York the job market is the only thing that scares me right now

Last edited by Wanderlust716; 06-22-2012 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: im an idiot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego