Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:11 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,090 times

Advertisements

I heard the housing costs are outrageous in San Diego.

Is it possible to get a 1 bedroom for around $750 in the san diego area? My absolute max that my g/f and I could afford. I really don't understand why there isn't some kind of rent control to create affordable housing. I mean how's someone supposed to keep a roof over their head working for around minimum wage at a service job?

If there is something around that price, what area would this be in? I don't need to be on the water.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,271,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I heard the housing costs are outrageous in San Diego.

Is it possible to get a 1 bedroom for around $750 in the san diego area? My absolute max that my g/f and I could afford. I really don't understand why there isn't some kind of rent control to create affordable housing. I mean how's someone supposed to keep a roof over their head working for around minimum wage at a service job?

If there is something around that price, what area would this be in? I don't need to be on the water.

Thanks a lot.
Rents are outrageous if you want a great location. No different than anywhere else.

Sure you can rent for $750, but my advice is shopping on price alone is a waste of time without a strategy. San Diego doenst have a blue collar business center or diverse business center like a major metro city would which would cater to all demographics a la NYC. The business centers are white collar in nature (Sorrento Valley) or tourism (Downtown).

Commuting here is a way of life by car. However, there are plenty of folks that ride the trolley that work in the service industry. In this case it would more than likely be low income folks.
My point is, its far easier to know where you going to work first, then choose your place to live. Do you have a job lined up? That can give us a better idea of where to point you.

If not and you are just showing up, bags in hand, tell us if you have means of transportation.

It sounds like you have never been to San Diego before. If thats the case, SD County is massive. Centrally located neighborhoods can cost more to rent, because of that simple fact.

Give more info.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Rents are outrageous if you want a great location. No different than anywhere else.

Sure you can rent for $750, but my advice is shopping on price alone is a waste of time without a strategy. San Diego doenst have a blue collar business center or diverse business center like a major metro city would which would cater to all demographics a la NYC. The business centers are white collar in nature (Sorrento Valley) or tourism (Downtown).

Commuting here is a way of life by car. However, there are plenty of folks that ride the trolley that work in the service industry. In this case it would more than likely be low income folks.
My point is, its far easier to know where you going to work first, then choose your place to live. Do you have a job lined up? That can give us a better idea of where to point you.

If not and you are just showing up, bags in hand, tell us if you have means of transportation.

It sounds like you have never been to San Diego before. If thats the case, SD County is massive. Centrally located neighborhoods can cost more to rent, because of that simple fact.

Give more info.
I got a car for now. Old faithful. Hopefully it doesn't die. lol

Anywhere near San Diego that is safe. What are the neighborhoods that are more affordable? I'm just trying to figure out what area's I can afford and then choose a job near there. But, I'm probably going to work just south of the airport. Looks like san diego center. That's where the majority of the companies seem to be in the line of work that I do. But there are other locations too so I don't know yet. Just trying to figure out the housing situation first.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I got a car for now. Old faithful. Hopefully it doesn't die. lol

Anywhere near San Diego that is safe. What are the neighborhoods that are more affordable? I'm just trying to figure out what area's I can afford and then choose a job near there. But, I'm probably going to work just south of the airport. Looks like san diego center. That's where the majority of the companies seem to be in the line of work that I do. But there are other locations too so I don't know yet. Just trying to figure out the housing situation first.
There are lots of places to live that are quiet and affordable. The key here is that you dont have kids.

Most of SD is very safe. There was another post here where forum contributor Sassberto basically said to stay away from the "box" which is pretty accurate.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...et-street.html

If I were you, I think if you car doenst have much life left, to be near a trolley line (just in case).

Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
SD is one of the most desirable places to live in the US, if not the world...that's why rents are high. For the most part, it's not geared toward people that are just trying to keep a roof over their heads with minimum wage jobs. There is no rent control here. $750 is very low rent for 2 people. You are aiming to live somewhere that you probably can't afford. Taxes in California are extremely high, as well as gas, etc. I would really suggest you think about other places that would be much more affordable for you and do alot of research.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
If you don't have your job first, I suggest doing that and then look a place to live. The public transportation is better in the city and it's convenient. You can get a one bedroom for around $750-$800, if you look in North Park, Normal Heights and City Heights. Be aware that landlords want proof of income or a proof of a large savings before they'll rent to you. Be advised that jobs of any kind are hard to get here.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
For the most part, it's not geared toward people that are just trying to keep a roof over their heads with minimum wage jobs. There is no rent control here. $750 is very low rent for 2 people. You are aiming to live somewhere that you probably can't afford. Taxes in California are extremely high, as well as gas, etc. I would really suggest you think about other places that would be much more affordable for you and do alot of research.
I pay 750 a month where I am and yes it's a big struggle already so why not at least have a better location for me to live in. Taxes are fairly meaningless when you have a near minimum wage job and don't own a home. As far as not being "geared" toward lower income service people. I guess San Diego has no retail stores, hotels, restaurants ect. ect. lol. Someone has to work to "serve" people. If everyone goes and gets a college degree someone still has to clean the floor. Only a minority of jobs are professional college educated type jobs.(thus the reason so many people are going to college, yet find that they can't find a white collar job. Supply and demand. More people going to college doesn't mean there will be more white collar jobs available.)

Old 06-28-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I pay 750 a month where I am and yes it's a big struggle already so why not at least have a better location for me to live in. Taxes are fairly meaningless when you have a near minimum wage job and don't own a home. As far as not being "geared" toward lower income service people. I guess San Diego has no retail stores, hotels, restaurants ect. ect. lol. Someone has to work to "serve" people. If everyone goes and gets a college degree someone still has to clean the floor. Only a minority of jobs are professional college educated type jobs.(thus the reason so many people are going to college, yet find that they can't find a white collar job. Supply and demand. More people going to college doesn't mean there will be more white collar jobs available.)
mikelizard,

I hear what you are saying and I dont necassarily agree with some of the posts above and how it applies to service jobs directly.
I have fed quite a few strangers downtown when I lived there either through charity services or just off the street. On several occasions, they would tell me how they would take a dish washing job, bussing tables etc but the hiring was not there at the restaurants and such. Some of them were lucky enough to crash on a friends couch, but were essentially homeless with 0 prospects and being there for several months. I am not saying this is going to be your situation, but I have seen what happens when things dont work out. So if it all possible try to have some kind of cash backup, anything besides sticking your thumb in the wind to feel for direction.

as far as service jobs go, customers need to be spending money in order to get hired. In cases recently, when there is a restaurant opening, there are hundreds of applicants showing up just for an interview.
I hope the summer turns out to be better than last year for the downtown in tourism but that is only 3 months. 9 months out of the year its the convention business which is fairly slow right now. So looking at a year of work vs just getting the job is something to consider. Sure you might get some part time work, but some questions that need to be answered regarding that status changing to full time or where else you can look in the meantime are key.

Yes, you are right. It seems that the laws of economics seem to escape folks that spend the cash. The workers need to come from somewhere

Just of curiosity, run down or "ghetto" areas are only as relative to your experience in living in them or seeing them. In some ways its totally subjective, others not so much like crime etc. My point is, your tolerance level for a run down area that is safe and affordable may be your biggest advantage in getting cheap rent vs someone coming here to walk to the beach everyday and then saying that SD is expensive (the biggest duhhhh reason).
North Park is a good option as its within the city. Its more common to see bus routes travel more frequently etc. Just keep in mind south of I-8 is probably your best bet or better yet south of the downtown.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
Please keep in mind that in SoCal a majority of lower wage jobs are filled by Hispanic/Latinos (legal and illegal). I can't emphasize enough how prevalent this is in our job market. Just want you to have a realistic picture. That includes restaurants, hotels, landscape, alot of construction jobs, etc. Now if you happen to be Hispanic/Latino, then you might have an advantage here.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:53 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Please keep in mind that in SoCal a majority of lower wage jobs are filled by Hispanic/Latinos (legal and illegal). I can't emphasize enough how prevalent this is in our job market. Just want you to have a realistic picture. That includes restaurants, hotels, landscape, alot of construction jobs, etc. Now if you happen to be Hispanic/Latino, then you might have an advantage here.
I was going to say this, but you beat me to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego