Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 05:12 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,862 times

Advertisements

I am fairly new to this area, but what is up with the male fashion sense here? Maybe it's just the area I live in (PB), but I see a lot of dudes with the gangsta straight billed-hats turned around backwards, baggy loose shorts, and then some kind of obscene t-shirt. It almost reminds me of some kind of cross between wanna-be thug/gangsta and metrosexual. Grown men dressing like they are 14 years old. I feel a little out of place sometimes with the clothes I wear, but I could never see myself dressing like that! It's pathetic. I guess women like this look? I don't get it. Do women here like "hard-core" thuggish looking guys?

On a seperate note - the women's fashion here is great, and I think makes all the girls here that much cuter! Big sunglasses, pigtails, cute shirts and shorts. Really makes the women here look hot.

Anyways, maybe I am just out of touch with the times, just seems to be a bit of disparity here between the men's and women's fashions. The men look like idiots and the women look cute as hell. Weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 06:30 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,947,251 times
Thumbs down It's pathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
...but I could never see myself dressing like that! It's pathetic.
GQ, reconsider brah. They might look silly, but pathetic? Contemptuous pity is not a trait of the San Diego I've come to know. Let them rock their styles, it's colorful; who cares. It's not the color of their skin or their fashion sense that makes a man. Lets all be thankful we are not in a world populated with cookie cutter clones. Can I get a amen?

Old 08-10-2007, 08:54 PM

22 posts, read 80,728 times
My theory is that this is because of the low percentage of blacks.

I don't want to sound racist or anything, but in places like Manhattan, while it's not written into a law, everyone knows that these unorthodox fashions are a black thing.

On the other hand, in SD, with it's nonexistent black community (something another poster complained about), this constant reminder is absent.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:47 AM

840 posts, read 6,514,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pines View Post
My theory is that this is because of the low percentage of blacks.

On the other hand, in SD, with it's nonexistent black community
So either there is a black community or there isn't, which is it?

Old 08-12-2007, 02:06 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times
What a funny post

I read in another post that you were from the South, so seeing guys out here wearing only wear T-shirts when we're out must freak you out. I've been to ATL many times and I can't get over all the guys wearing collar shirts and belts. Collars are for the office..........LOL

Here's my take on the male fashion in PB (not just for PB, but for any neighborhood or community located next to the beach).

While the whole big baggy shorts and ballcap were probably stolen from early rap videos, the fellas at the beach have managed to morph it into the new classic beach look.

Think about it, baggy shorts allow you to wear your swim trunks under them and at the same time give you freedown to peddle your skateboard down the boardwalk. Plus, it allows you to cruise your sweet lowrider bike with bigass handlebars with ease (I'm sure you've seen many of those by now). You can thank the Mexican culture for introducing those to the gringos...LOL

The vintage/crude remark T-shirts allow you to stick out from the others clones around you, only to be topped off with the always rockin' off centered ironed flat across brimmed baseball cap. The really vain guys wear the tighter T's so that they could show of the perfect physique they've gotten from surfing all their lives.

I can't believe you forgot to mention the most important beach trademark - the tattoo!!

Trust me, girls must like this look because most of the guys seem to be able to top off their outfit with a Nicole Ritchie/Paris Hilton wannabe under their arms..LOL

I couldn't agree with you more on the girls in PB. Ever take a peak at the patio at PB Bar and Grill at ANYTIME during the day?

Know that while the look is obviously common at the beach and throughout the area, you'll find the label whores in downtown, La Jolla, Del Mar, etc, the fashion victims (skinny jeans, messenger bags, thrift store shirts) in North Park, Hillcrest, University Heights, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is wear what you want that makes you feel good, because no one cares!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:14 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
I really dig the female fashion in S.D. What I think of a typical female attire in S.D. is the casual beach wear (denim or cotton skirts, flip-flops, t-shirt or tank tops). Girls in S.D. do tend to show more of their skin, and I like that! It's different from Georgia where females generally go for more of the classy "going to church on Sunday" look, which I also like. Also, the boho look seems to be really popular in S.D., as everwhere else in the mid-to-late 00's.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:16 PM

Also, given the age of the people in PB, most likely college students who come from all parts of the country, so who knows, that guy or girl you're looking at thinking 'what the hell are they wearing' could be from your own hometown.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:35 PM

8 posts, read 29,890 times
depends on the area you live. Most of San Diego Males dress in surfer causal style and the females are the same way. I have lived here for 28yrs so I have seen the style change with the times but, the surfer causal never seems to loose it's appeal to the people of San Diego because we are so close to the ocean and the weather has a lot to do with it as well.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyCAGirl View Post
depends on the area you live. Most of San Diego Males dress in surfer causal style and the females are the same way. .
I wouldn't say most San Diegans... of course the closer you are to the beach, the more you'll find that style.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:47 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pines View Post

This "fashion" was hideous back in the early 90's and it still is! I remember places like JC Penny started making jeans with the boxer lining sewed in. They probably fit better than the ones belted around the thighs.

Oh well, if people want to look like idiots, to each his own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego