Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 05:39 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,816 times

Advertisements

I've read/watched the news. They're all saying "when in doubt, throw it out". My problem seems to be that I never had any doubt, until I watched the news.

The milk smells fine. Apples, lettuce, onion, mushrooms, etc. can be left on a counter for hours without going bad. Meat/cheese, is in a ziplock style sealed bag. Juice is in a sealed/unopened container. Eggs, well, they're not in a fridge when the chicken lays 'em. Yogurt, unopened, in an airtight sealed container. Chicken - feed that to the dog.

I find it to be such a waste to throw these things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 07:13 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,503 times
I haven't tossed a thing. Just had fruit, veggies some condiments and cheese in the fridge. I also had an open half gallon of fat free milk some of which I used to make oatmeal this morning and I am fine and it seemed fine.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:13 PM

52 posts, read 100,678 times
Take it from a New Englander (or Englandah)...When it comes to power outages and refrigerated food...Don't take a chance. Most of your produce should be alright depending if you're going to cook it or not. I'd probably cook it if it were greens or whatever. But if it's a salad type deal, nah. I'd toss it or just go around it.

Meat and Cheese is where I draw the line. If it wasn't in my freezer, it's gone. Regardless of the seal, ziploc, whatever. It's outta there.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
The only thing we throw out was the milk. We actually had lots of ice and put it in the cooler with our cheeses, and meats, and some more expensive frozen stuff we had. But we didn't throw out any of the fruits, vegetables, etc.

I agree on milk, cheese, and meats that haven't been refrigerated for a few hours to throw out. Still, I guess a lot depends on how cold your refrigerator is. We keep ours VERY cold and up until last night it was still cool in there. The freezer was still cold until evening.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:31 PM

258 posts, read 533,952 times
Here is my conclusion.

90% you won't become sick.

10% chance you will.

It is conservative to throw out your food.

My uneducated opinion.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:37 PM

123 posts, read 405,601 times
I'm not throwing anything out.

Fridge was fairly well packed and was only opened twice during the entire outage. Unit also has a top freezer. Cold sinks. Freezer was very well packed.

I'm not the least bit worried.

The dog is out of luck this time.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
Funny my mom and I always talk about this cause she will eat way past expiration date and I tend to throw away. I think veggies and fruit are ok but items like dairy and other animal products I would be more concerned with. Not worth getting sick in my opinion

Old 09-11-2011, 11:06 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,816 times
It's 3 days Post Apocalypse and I can report that I haven't gotten sick so far off my milk, cheese, deli meat or produce....knock on wood. Then again, I'm one to eat crap after I drop it on the floor, use the same silverware 5 days straight...eat food from Taco Bell...

So sad all that food went to waste.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Chicken - feed that to the dog.
I'd rather get food poisoning myself than subject my pets to it. I understand the importanct of making it to the bathroom and I have decent insurance - my pets do not.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:51 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
It's 3 days Post Apocalypse and I can report that I haven't gotten sick so far off my milk, cheese, deli meat or produce....knock on wood. Then again, I'm one to eat crap after I drop it on the floor, use the same silverware 5 days straight...eat food from Taco Bell...

So sad all that food went to waste.
I used the half & half that was in my work fridge in my tea today- so far no ill effects. I can say for 100% that nobody opened that fridge during the blackout, though, as we all were sent home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego