Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 11:25 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times

Advertisements

We are two females traveling with an old dog to Florida, from San Diego, and we are wondering how is Highway 8 going East.

We need to know what parts of I-8 are isolated and dangerous. Please, if you can, specify from what city, or from what state to the other state. Thanking you in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 11:36 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
We drove from Florida to San Diego a few years ago when we moved, and the drive was totally fine. You're only on I-8 for a short time--from the Tucson area to San Diego, and there's some parts that are a bit isolated, but nothing I'd consider dangerous, during that stretch. You'll go through date farms in the desert, the Imperial Valley, then up into mountains (where it can be windy though), then after that you're pretty much in the outer reaches of the San Diego metro area.

Assuming you go the normal route, the rest of the time you'll be on I-10. You have nothing to worry about. The biggest annoyance I had about the drive was how long and boring driving through Texas was.

Safe travels!

Last edited by thepinksquid; 11-05-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 11-05-2011, 12:03 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Highway 8 is safe, you will have Boarder Patrol check points. The officers usually stop each car, and ask the driver a question.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:46 PM

45 posts, read 126,423 times
Never had or heard of issues on I-8. No real long stretches of desolation or anything, and if you enjoy desert scenery it is actually a nice drive.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:58 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
We are two females traveling with an old dog to Florida, from San Diego, and we are wondering how is Highway 8 going East.

We need to know what parts of I-8 are isolated and dangerous. Please, if you can, specify from what city, or from what state to the other state. Thanking you in advance,
It is isolated pretty much for the entire length, and freeways further east, I-10 and I-20, are isolated too, with a few exceptions. By isolated I mean 20-30 mile long stretches without a single house.

Most of the way there is a fair amount of traffic. The least traveled sections are in Arizona south of Phoenix and in Texas near the I-10/I-20 fork, where you might see one car per minute.

I don't think that any areas are dangerous. I'd be more worried going through San Bernardino on 215 or through Palmdale on 138 than I would at any point on I-8.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:08 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
We drove from Florida to San Diego a few years ago when we moved, and the drive was totally fine. You're only on I-8 for a short time--from the Tucson area to San Diego, and there's some parts that are a bit isolated, but nothing I'd consider dangerous, during that stretch. You'll go through date farms in the desert, the Imperial Valley, then up into mountains (where it can be windy though), then after that you're pretty much in the outer reaches of the San Diego metro area.

Assuming you go the normal route, the rest of the time you'll be on I-10. You have nothing to worry about. The biggest annoyance I had about the drive was how long and boring driving through Texas was.

Safe travels!
This^^^^ right on the money
Although New Mexico was pretty boring also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
It is isolated pretty much for the entire length, and freeways further east, I-10 and I-20, are isolated too, with a few exceptions. By isolated I mean 20-30 mile long stretches without a single house.

Most of the way there is a fair amount of traffic. The least traveled sections are in Arizona south of Phoenix and in Texas near the I-10/I-20 fork, where you might see one car per minute.

I don't think that any areas are dangerous. I'd be more worried going through San Bernardino on 215 or through Palmdale on 138 than I would at any point on I-8.
Agree!

Old 11-05-2011, 03:47 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Just out of curiosity, what are you worried about being "dangerous" with regards to do the drive? Are you concerned about road conditions, or just being isolated and possibly stuck if there's car issues? The former shouldn't worry you at all, and for the latter if you want piece of mind, just make sure you have AAA (or equivalent).

Old 11-05-2011, 04:35 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Take Thelma and Louise along.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:38 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times
As mentioned the biggest thing to consider is possible high winds and bad weather on the mountains east of SD. I also don't recommend going through the area at night b/c people familiar with the area going very fast and with decreased visibility it can be unnerving.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 AM

50,284 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I would actually recommend doing that drive at night if you are going through it in the summer. With temps approaching 120 if your car breaks down you will be praying for a good samaritan. It's a whole lot of nothing so have food and water available. Fuel up every chance you get as you don't know where the next station will be. We saw signs for fuel but when we got there they were out of gas. I've got a 43 gallon tank so I was not worried but if you have a 13 gallon tank you might be living there for a while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego