Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,389 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

We are a lesbian couple in our mid-twenties from Chicago looking to move to San Diego in October. We will be visiting for the first time sometime this summer, but would love some advice from people who live there already. Particular, we would love advice on public transit, vegetarian/vegan options, music and nightlife, and biking in the city (as transportation). The more you can tell us the better, and we would appreciate anything you can share with us! Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 04:45 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
What area will you be working in?

Old 05-25-2013, 04:56 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,600,237 times
Here's the public transportation info: Transit.511sd.com

and farmers' markets: Farmers Markets in San Diego - Find locally grown produce: San Diego County Farm Bureau

and the bicycle map: http://www.icommutesd.com/bike/bikemap.aspx

Old 05-25-2013, 05:34 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,990,287 times
I would suggest Hillcrest for you.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:12 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,976,042 times
You know, people really need to get outside of their boxes.

Hillcrest may have a lot of gay people, but it's not the only place where gay people live.

I've got a friend who lives with his boyfriend in Uni Heights. And another lives in Normal Heights.

And I know plenty of straight people who live in Hillcrest.

She also said she is interested in public transportation. So, she probably wants to be on the trolley line. Guess what neighborhood ISN'T on the trolley? Oh, yeah, Hillcrest.

My recommendation would be Little Italy. Just like most of the neighborhoods in the city core, it is gay agnostic, as in nobody will give a damn that you're gay. It has a very good farmer's market, and lots of restaurants. Little Italy's got a lot of nightlife on its own, but if you really want to get into it, you can walk right downtown or take the trolley (there's that public transportation thing again) from the Little Italy stop down to the heart of the insanity.

Do not expect Chicago type restaurants or nightlife, however. You just can't compare the two cities.

But on the plus side, lows in the 40s, which is a nice high for Chicago in January, will cause locals to complain about how bitterly cold it is.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:23 PM

210 posts, read 412,468 times
Also, don't expect Chicago's public transportation. To fully enjoy what San Diego has to offer, outdoor activities, nightlife, restaurants, sports, you'll need a car.

I don't remember if we dropped below 50 last winter during the day through late evening, but I remember thinking one night after work that it was the coldest that it's been all year, and checked my phone and saw the temperature at 52F.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:55 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,990,287 times
Fine. Forget my suggestion. I just know if I were gay I would want to live somewhere where I feel a sense of community the second I leave my building....

Old 05-26-2013, 03:14 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
Gay people live everywhere, they just don't limit themselves to one area.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:46 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,798 times
There are six gay households on my block and I live in Rolando Park. Not a place for young couples in their 20s looking for nightlife though. I would go for North Park, South Park, University Heights, Normal Heights as possible options.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:55 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
You guys will limit yourselves severely if you base where to live by the trolley, look to the core neighborhoods served by the more frequent bus service lines- specifically, the 3, 2, 7 and 11. These routes, while not subway quick and frequent, generally service the core communities from Mission Hills, Hillcrest, University Heights, Normal Heights, North Park, South Park and Golden Hill pretty decently. These areas will probably, to varying degrees, give you most of the ammenities, lifestyle and core urban enough location that biking is also an option. Most of the bus service is every 10-15 minutes here, bikeability abounds but be aware that San Diego is quite hilly so expect to work a bit harder than flat Midwest lands.

It seems that many of us started at the beach areas for a while when moving from areas that had none, but honestly living there is mostly for rowdy college kids shacking five to an apartment, and with difficult access to the rest of the city so it's probably better to stick to the city and visit the beach. And as others have correctly noted there are very few areas in the city are not well represented by gay inhabitants there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: