Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times

Advertisements

I have read on these boards various threads about 'improving SD" and mass transit is certainly one of the top improvements people on the boards would like to see. So I thought I would share this info.

SANDAG approved a regional transportation last year that has been met with some harsh criticism due to its lack of support for better mass transit initiatives vs roads over the coming years.

It seems the Sierra Club and Attorney General have sued SANDAG for its failure in addressing environmental impact sufficiently based on state goals to reduce greenhouse gases and emissions.

Any thoughts on this?

Press Release | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:50 PM

20 posts, read 30,143 times
Here is a good article on it, with links to the lawsuit and the AG's letter:
A Fight for the Future of San Diego - Commute - The Atlantic Cities
The enviro groups and the AG argue that even though more than one-third (almost one-half) of the funding would be for transit, all the near-term projects are roadway projects. They say that therefore the plan would increase regional auto dependency and the region is then unlikely/will be challenged to retrofit transit and transit-oriented development after-the-fact. (For the sake of comparison, the percent of federal money spent on transit nationally is something less five percent. I have only glanced at the plan, but I think that one-third to almost half includes not just transit, but bike and pedestrian projects, too.) So they are not disatisfied with the funding allocation but the timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego