Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,917 times

Advertisements

We might be locating to San Diego from Texas and I'm curious what surrounding cities/subdivisions have the best schools. My daughter will be an 8th Grader, my son will be a senior, and only needs a few more classes so he may finish on-line. Does anyone have any suggestions, I don't know anything about the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 01:13 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelled View Post
We might be locating to San Diego from Texas and I'm curious what surrounding cities/subdivisions have the best schools. My daughter will be an 8th Grader, my son will be a senior, and only needs a few more classes so he may finish on-line. Does anyone have any suggestions, I don't know anything about the area!
Are you asking the question in order to determine where to conduct your housing search? I too am moving from Texas (Plano) and my 6th grader grandson will be with us. If schools are the determiner, then I would recommend North County - Poway Unified School District is probably the overall best in the general area . This covers Rancho Penasquitos, Rancho Bernardo and some of Carmel Valley.

La Jolla also has decent schools as does University City, both are North and West of San Diego but south of the Poway area.

I've noticed that the Middle and High School in Scripps Ranch, Marshall Middle and Scripps Ranch High is very good; this area is North of San Diego proper and to the East of an area called Mira Mesa.

The Middle school and High School in Del Cerro, Lewis Middle and Henry High (closer to central San Diego) is also decent. This area is up in a hilly area above Central San Diego (VIEWS!!).

Coronado Island is absolutely gorgeous and expensive. The schools are excellent.

In Point Loma, the Middle schools (Dana and Correira) are decent and Point Loma High is also decent. This of course is near the water and closer to central area.

To the South is an the town of Chula Vista and part of the city are the newer areas of Eastlake/Bonita/Otay Ranch. Newer areas (housing)with very good schools. It's closer to the Mexican border, which can spook some folks.

This has been my "life" for the past several months as we prepare to move to San Diego in June.

Good Luck.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:13 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
There are good schools scattered around San Diego. Where will you be working? That will probably indicate what part of San Diego you want to start looking, and we can tell you where the good schools are in that location.

In addition to the ones MovingAloha noted, there are some good schools in LaCosta/Carlsbad and San Marcos.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
The 'top districts' in San Diego county are:
Poway
Carmel Valley [san dieguito school district]
Carlsbad [La Costa Canyon H.S. specifically]

If you would like online for your son, visit the SD Unified School District website, and see charter schools. There are many, and some are independent study based programs, with optional on site days. Also, google homeschool charters, in California; you often don't need to be located in said city to enroll. Charters will be free; they are public.

Other honorable mention districts [some good schools within them, not as consistent as top 3] are:
Carmel Mtn. Ranch
Encinitas
Rancho Bernardo
Rancho Penasquitos
San Marcos

These are all good 'family' areas, for the most part, as well.
There are several districts to avoid, overall, as well such as Escondido, Oceanside and most schools in central San Diego [the older, more urban neighborhoods.] There are exceptions, of course, but this gives you a direction to begin your search, one way or the other.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-26-2012 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego