Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Ramona is a hick town imo and kind of redneckish. It's pretty rural but not quite as warm as Poway as it's at a higher elevation. You'll be bored out of your mind there imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Yes, accommodating the dogs would be the primary problem. Someone asked whether I would buy or rent...I will buy....I long ago stopped trying to find rentals with 2 large dogs. I would be relocating from the NYC suburbs, so the costs actually look cheap to me. I notice Ramona has larger lots...is that area the same climate wise as Poway? Don't see anything like that in Contra Costa county.
Ramona does have nice sized lots, usually to accommodate for the horses (lots of horse farms). But Ramona, for as nice as it is, is a bit of an island with very limited ways to get up and down from. Depending on your situation this could be a pro or con. Many of the homes there are on propane off the 67 with the exception of SD Country Estates and Ramona Oaks (HOA communities) which are further out from Main St.

Ramona will have more contrast in temperature with the coastal weather, but more in common with Poway +,- a few degrees each season.

Just some advice. I dont think I am alone on this by saying that buying before seeing in San Diego is not wise. Its a very different beast to other areas of the country, where the layout of the land doesnt have as much of a drastic change especially for a SFH. There are too many variables here that affect prices as well as 'what you get' to really see online. So while prices may seem attractive, there are usually reasons why.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,239 times
Ramona is also in a very fire prone area and the road back and forth to Poway can become backed up. In addition, that road would cause heavy wear and tear on your car. It is also very conservative there; I knew a same sex couple that was basically forced to move.

Pleasant Hill is close to Walnut Creek and tends to be more affordable.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Hello,
And welcome to California.
I believe the determining factor in your move might be your two large dogs. Walnut Creek does have all the amenities mentioned above except for affordable homes with large lots. Poway has the larger lots as it is more rural and less expensive. The warmer weather in San Diego is attractive for outdoors activities.

All that said,,with the ocean closer, and they have designated doggie beaches, i would chose Poway or the surrounds. Rancho Bernardo might be a good match for a Fortyish person as it is safe and attractive. RB is right next door to Poway.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
There is more than one way to get into and out of Ramona (Wildcat Canyon Rd, 78, 67).

Ramona is more than what you can see from the 67. There are lots of nice areas with large plots of land off the main road through town.

Also consider the properties between Ramona, Poway, and Ranch Bernardo. There are many large estates between these cities. It would be a good idea to check and see what utilities are available there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego